Bazu Worku (#1) at the 2015 Lake Biwa Marathon
|Born||15 September 1990|
Worku made his first appearances on the road running circuit in 2008: he was third in the 15 km race at the Istanbul Eurasia Marathon in October, and registered a personal best at the Delhi Half Marathon. He improved his half marathon best at the Paris Half Marathon in March 2009, winning the race in a time of 1:01:56.
On 5 April 2009 at the Paris Marathon, Worku ran his debut marathon in 2:06:15 to finish as runner-up to Vincent Kipruto of Kenya. This was the fastest time ever run for an 18-year-old over the distance. Worku ran at the Ottawa Marathon in May 2010 and placed third, twenty seconds adrift of winner Arata Fujiwara. He improved his personal best time at the 2010 Berlin Marathon, running 2:05:25 to take third place. He ran at the national 30 km championships but was beaten into second place by Azmeraw Bekele. He was selected for the World Championship Marathon in 2011 but failed to finish the race.
He ran at three high profile marathons in 2012. He ran a season's best of 2:07:48 at the Dubai Marathon and also entered the 2012 London Marathon, but did not make the top ten in either race. He was runner-up at the Chinese Lanzhou Marathon then managed fifth at the Frankfurt Marathon. He began 2013 with wins at the Houston Marathon and Grandma's Marathon in the United States. He was close to third victory at the Eindhoven Marathon, but was beaten to the top spot by Yemane Tsegay.
|10 km||28:21||New Delhi, India||9 Nov 2008|
|Half marathon||1:01:56||Paris, France||8 Mar 2009|
|Marathon||2:05:25||Berlin, Germany||26 Sep 2010|
- All information taken from IAAF profile.
- Yelena Kurdyumova and Sergey Porada (2008-10-27). Roba and Yulamanova take Istanbul titles in heavy rain and gusty wind. IAAF. Retrieved on 2010-09-26.
- Vazel, Pierre-Jean (2009-03-08). Prokopcuka and Worku win in Paris. IAAF. Retrieved on 2010-09-26.
- Vazel, Pierre-Jean (2009-04-05). 2:05:47 course record for Kipruto in Paris, five others under 2:07. IAAF. Retrieved on 2010-09-26.
- Butcher, Pat (2010-09-26). Makau and Kebede triumph in rainy Berlin. IAAF. Retrieved on 2010-09-26.
- Men's course record falls in Ottawa. IAAF (2010-05-31). Retrieved on 2010-09-26.
- Negash, Elshadai (2010-11-01). Mohammed and Bekele take Ethiopian 30km titles. IAAF. Retrieved on 2010-11-01.
- Butcher, Pat (2012-10-28). Patience pays for Makau in Frankfurt, debut win for Melkamu. IAAF. Retrieved on 2013-02-11.
- Youth trumps weather in Houston as Ethiopians take clean sweep of titles. IAAF (2013-01-13). Retrieved on 2013-02-18.
- Minshull, Phil (2013-10-13). Tsegay ends Kenya's 14-year winning streak at Marathon Eindhoven. IAAF. Retrieved on 2013-10-15.