|Headquarters||San Francisco, California|
|Key people||Matt Mullenweg (Founder, CEO, president)
Toni Schneider (ex-CEO)
Ryan Boren (Lead Developer)
After the Deadline
Automattic, Inc. is a web development corporation founded in August 2005. It is most notable for WordPress.com (a free blogging service), as well as its contributions to WordPress (open source blogging software). The company's name plays on its founder's first name, Matt.
Other projects include:
- After the Deadline – online proofreading tool
- Akismet – anti-comment spam system capable of integration with many blogging platforms and forums
- bbPress – forum software
- blo.gs – RSS feed aggregator
- BuddyPress – social networking plugin suite
- Cloudup - file sharing application
- Ping-O-Matic – pinging service
- GlotPress – collaborative translation tool
- Gravatar – globally recognized avatars
- IntenseDebate – commenting tools
- PollDaddy – polls and survey tools
- Simplenote - note-taking and sync service
- WordCamp – series of conferences for WordPress users
- WordPress.com VIP – enterprise services for WordPress websites
- VaultPress – backup and security service for WordPress sites
- VideoPress – hosted HD video for WordPress sites
- Jetpack by WordPress.com - WordPress.com features for WordPress.org sites
On January 11, 2006, it was announced that Toni Schneider would be leaving Yahoo! to become CEO of Automattic. He was previously CEO of Oddpost before it was acquired by Yahoo!, where he had continued as a senior executive.
In April 2006, it was discovered, through a Regulation D filing, that Automattic raised approximately 1.1 million dollars in funding, which Mullenweg addressed in his blog. Investors were Polaris Ventures, True Ventures, Radar Partners, and CNET.
On September 9, 2010, Automattic gave the WordPress trademark and control over bbPress and BuddyPress to the WordPress Foundation.
- Work With Us - Automattic
- Scott Berkun (10 September 2013). The Year Without Pants: WordPress.com and the Future of Work. Wiley. ISBN 978-1-118-66063-8.
- Yahoo Exec Exits For Automattic CEO Gig - GigaOM
- Moving On From Yahoo -> Automattic « Toni’s Garage
- Company Information: AUTOMATTIC INC
- Automattic Acquires IntenseDebate
- Automattic Acquires PollDaddy!
- A New Home for the WordPress Trademark
- Automattic website
- On a mission to democratise publishing - Matt Mullenweg interview - The Guardian, September 2013