Bdale Garbee in 2007
|Born||Alfred Dickinson Barksdale Garbee II|
|Other names||Bdale Garbee|
Bdale Garbee / / is a computer specialist who works with GNU/Linux, particularly Debian. He retired at the end of August 2012 from long service as the Open Source & Linux Chief Technologist at Hewlett-Packard.
Garbee has been a Debian developer since the earliest days of the project in the mid-1990s. He set up the original developer machine named master.debian.org in 1995. He served as a Debian Project Leader (DPL) for one year (2002-2003), and currently serves as chairman of the Debian Technical Committee.
Garbee has served on the board of directors of Software in the Public Interest, the non-profit organization that collects donations for Debian and many other Free Software projects, since July 29, 2004, and was elected president on August 1, 2006.
Garbee represents the interests of individual members and developers on the board of directors of the Linux Foundation.
In September 2008, he received a "Lutèce d'Or" during the French event Paris Capitale du Libre as the FLOSS personality of the year.
The name "Bdale" is an abbreviation of "Barksdale", given in honor of his maternal grandfather, Alfred D. Barksdale.
- Garbee, Bdale (2012-08-01). "Early Retirement". Retrieved 2013-04-14.
- "Debian Project Leader Elections 2002". Debian Project. 2011-10-02. Retrieved 2013-04-14.
- "Debian's Organizational Structure". Debian Project. 2011-10-02. Retrieved 2013-04-14.
- Graham, David (2006-08-01). "New board officers appointed". Software in the Public Interest, Inc. Retrieved 2013-04-14.
- Of beards and saving the Tasmanian devil http://www.itwire.com/content/view/22814/1090/
- Pictures and shaving story at LWN.net http://lwn.net/Articles/316282/
- Bdale Garbee's homepage
- Beyond Doing Business, podcast of Garbee's keynote at OSCON, 2004.
- A conversation with Bdale Garbee
|Debian Project Leader
April 2002 – April 2003
|This biographical article relating to a technologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|