Be Careful With My Heart
||This article describes a work or element of fiction in a primarily in-universe style. (April 2014)|
|Be Careful With My Heart|
Title card from June 25, 2014 to October 17, 2014
|Genre||Romantic comedy, Family, Slice of Life|
|Created by||Mel Mendoza-del Rosario|
|Developed by||Ginny Monteagudo-Ocampo|
|Written by||Denise O'Hara
Jimuel dela Cruz
Alpha Kristine Fortun
|Directed by||Jeffrey Jeturian
Mervyn B. Brondial
|Starring||Jodi Sta. Maria
|Opening theme||Please Be Careful With My Heart
by Jodi Sta. Maria and Richard Yap
|Composer(s)||Jose Mari Chan|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|Original language(s)||Filipino, English|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||622|
|Executive producer(s)||Grace Ann Bodegon-Casimsiman
Narciso Y. Gulmatico, Jr.
|Producer(s)||Keila Marie Celso
Edyl Macy Delos Santos
Shyra Marie Joaquin
Billy Joe Karganilla
Joseph Nathaniel Lopez
|Running time||Mon–Fri at 11:30 am (PST);
|Picture format||480i SDTV
|Original run||July 9, 2012– November 28, 2014|
|Followed by||Give Love on Christmas|
Be Careful With My Heart is a 2012 Philippine daytime television drama which premiered on ABS-CBN from July 9, 2012 to November 28, 2014 airing before It's Showtime. It is also broadcast worldwide on The Filipino Channel. It is topbilled by Jodi Sta. Maria and Richard Yap. It is one of the most successful teleserye of ABS-CBN.
After two successful years, it was first announced on the September 25, 2014 episode of TV Patrol that the series will air its final episode on November 28, 2014. In the Global Kapit-Bisig Day, the show simulcasted on TFC.tv during its last episode, followed by their live farewell broadcast. The Singing Bee and the re-run of hit Japanese anime series Princess Sarah was pre-empted to give way for the one-hour finale, airing from 11:15am to 12:15pm.
A simple girl, Maya dela Rosa (Jodi Sta. Maria), her older sister, Cristina Rose, and Cristina's son, Cho, are introduced as tour guides in their hometown of San Nicolas, with their mother runs a souvenir shop. Money is often less than the living expenses and household repairs. Cristina Rose hopes to work at sea, while Maya dreams of becoming a flight stewardess. One rainy night, after an attempt to fix the roof, Cristina breaks her leg and is thus unable to complete her schooling to become a seafarer. With a large medical bill, Maya deems it necessary to work overseas for two years to help her family. Upon arrival in Manila, Maya discovers that the woman who had offered work overseas had swindled her. Maya is stuck in Manila with no money or place to go. Relentless, Maya allows no one to stop her, not even the handsome, wealthy widower Richard Lim (Richard Yap), who reminds her of her shortcomings.
Ironically, Richard is her last hope because of his influence in the airline industry. He offers Maya to become his youngest daughter's (who has selective mutism) temporary nanny in exchange for his help. Maya agrees to become a maid and nanny in his household. Upon entering the Lim home, she finds herself involved in the private lives of Richard and his three problematic children: Luke (Jerome Ponce), Nikki (Janella Salvador) and Abby (Mutya Orquia).
Maya realizes that since Richard's wife died, the family's joy died with her; hence their problems. Maya is tasked to bridge Richard to his children and eventually she succeeds in rebuilding the family. However, in repairing their broken hearts, Maya encounters bigger challenges that test her determination and, more importantly, her heart. While fulfilling her obligation, she falls in love with the Lim children and, admittedly, with Richard.
- Jodi Sta. Maria as Maya dela Rosa Lim - At 25, Maya is a simple, idealistic provincial girl who dreams of becoming a flight stewardess but in a twist of events ends up becoming a nanny for a wealthy family in Manila . She took the job in exchange of an educational scholarship from her boss, Richard Lim. She is very family-oriented and will do everything to make her family's life in the province comfortable. She has an innocent charm, yet confident, and has a very positive attitude in life. Later in the series, she marries Richard and together they had twins Sky and Sunshine.
- Richard Yap as Richard "Ser Chief" Lim - He is the owner and president of the famous Lim Aviation Services, an aircraft maintenance repair and overhaul business. Known for being a cold, harsh and strict boss, he has one son and two daughters namely: Luke, Nikki and Abby. A widower of five years since losing his wife Alexandra in a plane crash, he hires Maya to take care of his youngest daughter after she rescues Abby from an incident at the airport. Maya endearingly calls him "Ser Chief." He later becomes a father again to twins Sky and Sunshine upon marrying Maya.
- Mutya Orquia as Abigail Ruth "Abby" Lim - The youngest of the three, Abby had difficulty expressing herself when her mother died. Richard has spoiled Abby and she has become overly sensitive when she hears fights and arguments in the family. Richard ultimately decided to have her home schooled because they are afraid of Abby's condition. The Lim Family hired many nannies in the past and no one lasted even a week because of Abby's difficult ways. But when Maya saves her from an accident at the airport, Abby finds an instant ally in the simple girl from Mindoro.
- Janella Salvador as Nikki "Nik-Nik" Grace Lim - She is the middle child and the spitting-image of her mother. After the death of her mom, Nikki tries to overcompensate for her loss and tries to take charge of her siblings. She always yearns for her father's attention and at first, she has taken a dislike for Maya, Abby's noisy, new nanny. Eventually, she warms up to Maya. She often speaks in Taglish. Later in the series, she develops a crush on her brother's bestfriend, Nicolo.
- Jerome Ponce as Luke Andrew Lim - When his mom died, Luke became the silent and rebellious eldest child. Aloof as he may seem, he cares for the welfare of his sisters but he tries to hide it if he can.
- Elisha Delos Santos as Sunshine Lim - The youngest daughter of the Lim and Dela Rosa family, and the Twin sister of Sky.
- Jeio Aquines as Sky Lim - The youngest son of the Lim and Dela Rosa family, and the Twin brother of Sunshine.
- Aiza Seguerra as Cristina Rose "Kute" dela Rosa - Maya's sister, Teresita's daughter and Cho's mother; called Kute - derived from "Kuya" and "Ate". Together with Jeff, they own the Little Pards Chibugan.
- Sylvia Sanchez as Teresita dela Rosa - Maya and Kute's mother and Mamang's daughter.
- Lito Pimentel as Arturo dela Rosa - Maya and Kute's father and Teresita's husband.
- Gloria Sevilla as Felicidad "Manang Fe" Marcelo-Alejo - Richard's nanny when he was young and the head maid of the household.
- JM Ibañez as Pocholo "Cho" Macavinta - Jeff and Kute's son.
- Marlo Mortel as Nicolo Angelo "Mallows" Cortez - Luke's bestfriend and Nikki's love interest. Nikki calls him "Mallows".
- Divina Valencia as Conchita "Mamang" dela Paz - Kute and Maya's loving grandmother and Teresita's mother.
- Rosario "Tart" Carlos as Dorina "Doris" Malasig - Sabel's close friend and a maid; later Abby's nanny in the Lim family.
- Viveika Ravanes as Isabel "Sabel" Fortuna - Doris' close friend and a cook/maid in the Lim family.
- Joan Marie Bugcat as Yaya Lea - A newly added nanny/ maid for the Lim Family.
- Micah Muñoz as Jose Mari "Joma" Adriano - The driver of the Lim family.
- Nathan Lopez as Emmanuel "Emman" Castro - Maya's friend/roommate.
- Paul Jake Castillo as Simon Gabriel Corpuz - Maya's childhood friend, who used to court her.
- Vandolph Quizon as Ramon Lino "Marcelino" - Jeff's cousin, who also works in the karinderia.
- Kelly Gwayne dela Cruz as Aira Denise Mendoza - Nicolo's bestfriend.
- Shy Carlos as Joni Quijano - Luke's co-intern at Lim Aviation Services; later became his girlfriend.
- Claire Ruiz as Josephine "Joey" Acosta - Luke's friend/ex-girlfriend.
- Mai-Mai Adriano as Megan - Nikki's classmate/friend.
- Abigail Francisco Macapagal as Stacy Gutierrez - Nikki's classmate/friend.
- Arvic Tan as Louie - Luke and Nicolo's friend.
- Marc Carlos de Leon as Iñigo - Trouble-maker during high school; later became Luke and Nicolo's friend.
- Jeremiah "Bagito" Roxas as Ron-Ron - Bullied Cho at first; later became friends.
- AJ Muhlach as Amiel Sebastian - Senior transferee in Nikki's school; later belongs to Luke's tropa.
- Noel Trinidad as Don Roberto Lim - Richard's father and grandfather to the Lim children.
- Marissa Delgado as Doña Esmeralda Lim - Richard's mother and grandmother to the Lim children.
- Carlos "Rusty" Salazar as Mang Anastacio Alejo - Manang Fe's love interest; later became her husband.
- Tom Rodriguez as Jeff "Pards" Macavinta - Kute's friend and Cho's father; he later left the series (following his transfer to GMA-7 for his role on the then-upcoming drama, My Husband's Lover.)
- Maricar Reyes as Rafaella "Rafi" Alcantara - Richard's bestfriend.
- Assunta de Rossi as Katrina "Ina" Ruiz - Maya's boss who has a crush on Richard.
- Kalila Aguilos as Liza - Richard's former secretary.
- Johan Santos as Wilson de Juan - Maya's classmate.
- Diamond Shen as Jonah - Maya's classmate.
- Robert Ortega as Fred - Richard's assistant that moved and work to another company.
- Ya Chang as Engineer Yamaguchi - Richard's employee.
- Jerico Redrico as Lloyd
- Pinky Amador as Zenaida Belmonte - Maya's teacher.
- Cris Villanueva as Atty. Ryan Molina - Richard's friend and attorney.
- Terence Baylon as Elmer - Driver of a neighboring house near the Lim household. Sabel and Doris have a crush on him.
- Mark Luz as Engineer Gutierrez
- Hazel Faith dela Cruz as Edz Viray - A flight attendant and Maya's friend.
- Chris Bugoy as Bugoy
- Bryce Viray as Lance
- Sier Edward Atienza Lao, Jade Gultiano, Pol Aron Casas, Erwin Strydom and Prince Ivan Nacachi as Tropa ni Iñigo - Iñigo's bad influenced friends.
- Bart Guingona as Charles
- Nick Lizaso as Don Julio Demornay
- Sunshine Garcia as Stephanie
- Joyce So as Anna Martinez
- Dionne Monsanto as Teacher Emy - Abby's homeschool teacher.
- Jed Montero as Teacher May Anne
- Melai Cantiveros as Yaya Gemma
- Karen Leslie Dematera as Gina
- Princess Manzon as Karisa
- Agatha Tapan as Yaya Melinda
- Bianca Saldua as Monica - Maya's friend.
- Cai Cortez as Luisa
- Meg Imperial as Sarah
- Andre Tiangco as Airline Purser
- Jomari Umpa as Pao
- Yanna Asistio as Angge
- John Arcilla as Wedding Priest
- Jose Mari Chan as Wedding Singer
- Bodjie Pascua as Ramon Francisco
- Lollie Mara as Norma Melendez
- Irma Adlawan as Vicky Reyes
- Leo Rialp as Antonio Garcia
- Kazel Kinouchi as Georgina Barrel
- Ketchup Eusebio as Dr. Tim Gonzaga
- Aleck Bovick as Lucinda Quijano - Joni's mother.
- Jon Lucas as Michael
- Jopay Paguia as Thea Lindsay Angeles - Kute's friend.
- Pamu Pamorada as Clarita
- Liza Diño as Mercy Selgado
- Jenny Miller as Betsy
- Katya Santos as Camille
- Art Acuña as Interviewer
- Sunshine Cruz as Alexandra "Alex" Lim - Richard's deceased wife and the mother of Luke, Nikki, and Abby. She died in an airplane crash.
- Luis Manzano as Capt. James Ventura Jr. - A pilot who works for Time Airways. He is also the son of the CEO of Time Airways.
- Ina Raymundo as Celeste Madrigal
- Dante Ponce as Don Fernando
- Regine Tolentino as Corrine Celeste - Maya and Richard's wedding planner.
- Edward Mendez as Charlie Ramirez - Rafi's boyfriend.
- Kathryn Bernardo as young Felicidad "Fe" Marcelo
- Daniel Padilla as young Anastacio Alejo
- Ping Medina as young Arturo dela Rosa
- Beauty Gonzalez as young Teresita dela Rosa
- Jenine Desiderio as Wedding Singer
Production and development
After ABS-CBN launched the exclusive behind-the-scenes channels for Walang Hanggan and Princess and I, Be Careful With My Heart also aired its exclusive interviews of the cast and crew in the network's website.
Due to public demand, ABS-CBN announced that starting September 15, 2012, an additional time slot of episode reruns will air every Saturday at 10:30 a.m. (PST) called, Be Careful With My Heart: Sabado Rewind. However, after its first run, the network decided to air it at 10:00 a.m. instead. Sabado Rewind was discontinued on November 16, 2013 to give way for the free TV telecast of the NBA games, with the final encore episode shows Sir Chief's proposal to Maya.
The drama's pilot episode garnered a 15.2 household rating (total Philippines = urban and rural households), considerably high for a morning drama, and dominated its competitor, GMA7's Chef Boy Logro: Kusina Master which got 8.8% according to data released by Kantar Media. Be Careful with My Heart (11:15 am Philippine time, under the ABS-CBN PrimeTanghali block, now currently 11:45 timeslot due to newly added shows) premiered strongly on July 9, 2012 on the pre-noontime block. Since then, Be Careful With My Heart's ratings proved that it is the #1 daytime show on Philippine TV, according to Kantar Media/TNS Total Philippines (Urban+Rural households) ratings.
On June 18, 2013, Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) announced the 8 entries competing for the 2013 Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF), which includes the Be Careful With My Heart movie. Jodi Sta. Maria and Richard Yap will reprise their roles for the movie, which will premiere on December 25, 2013. The film is said to be the continuation of where the chapter of the series will end shortly before MMFF, by early December 2013. In several recent interviews and appearances, Yap and Sta. Maria also mentioned that the only time their show will not air on television is during the time that the MMFF movie is being shown in cinemas. The show would however be back on air after the movie to continue the story.
On September 12, 2013, the Be Careful With My Heart movie entry was pulled out from the Metro Manila Film Festival due to schedule conflicts of Yap and Sta. Maria. The head of the MMFF wrote a letter to the producer of the show to bring back the movie and even gave them an extension for the submission of the film. But the production team declines and instead continued the series.
- 2012 4th FMTM Awards for TV Entertainment
- "Best Child Performance" - Mutya Orquia (Won)
- 2013 Gawad Tanglaw Awards
- "Best Ensemble Performance" - Be Careful With My Heart Casts (Won)
- 2013 PMPC Star Awards for Television
- "Best Daytime-Drama Series" (Won)
- "Best Drama Actor" - Richard Yap (Won)
- "Best Drama Actress" - Jodi Sta. Maria (Nominated)
- "Best Drama Supporting Actress" - Sylvia Sanchez (Nominated)
- "Best Male New TV Personality" - Jerome Ponce (Nominated)
- "Best Female New TV Personality" - Janella Salvador (Won)
- 2014 GMMSF Box-Office Entertainment Awards
- "Most Popular Female Child Performer" - Mutya Orquia (Won)
- 2014 PMPC Star Awards for Television
- "Best Daytime-Drama Series" (Won)
- 2014 Face of the Year Award
- "Best Foreign Drama Series" (Won)
- "Best Foreign Actress" - Jodi Sta. Maria (Won)
- "Best Foreign Actor" - Richard Yap (Won)
|Be Careful With My Heart:
|Soundtrack album by Various Artists|
|1.||"Please Be Careful With My Heart"||Jodi Sta. Maria and Richard Yap||3:40|
|2.||"When You Say Nothing At All"||Jodi Sta. Maria and Richard Yap||3:41|
|3.||"Kaba"||Jodi Sta. Maria||4:00|
|4.||"Torete"||Jodi Sta. Maria||3:26|
|5.||"When You Say Nothing At All"||Richard Yap||3:42|
|6.||"The Way You Look Tonight"||Richard Yap||3:52|
|7.||"Sorry Na, Pwede Ba?"||Richard Yap||2:47|
|8.||"I'll Be There For You"||Aiza Seguerra||4:17|
|9.||"Please Be Careful With My Heart"||Sam Milby and Juris||4:09|
- Vietnam (Broadcast channel: TodayTV VTC7)
- Malaysia (Broadcast channel: TV3, in original audio with Malay subtitles)
- Tanzania (Broadcast channel: Star TV Africa)
- Jodi, Papa Chen headline new soap
- Jodi Sta. Maria headlines a teleserye for the first time
- Unexpected romance
- Director Jeffrey Jeturian shares success secret of "Be Careful With My Heart"
- Be Careful With My Heart: Official Full Trailer retrieved via www.youtube.com via abscbnonline user 09-27-2009
- 'Be Careful With My Heart' magtatapos na
- july 13,2012 episode
- "Spotlight: Jerome Ponce of Be Careful with my Heart". Retrieved August 25, 2009.
- Be Careful With My Heart pilot wins timeslot
- Santiago, Erwin. "Kantar Media-TNS Total Philippines Household Ratings (July 20-23): Walang Hanggan and Be Careful With My Heart lead ABS-CBN domination". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved July 25, 2009.
- Be Careful With My Heart movie plot revealed retrieved 08-17-2013
- Be Careful With My Heart movie shows what happens after the wedding retrieved 08-17-2013
- Be Careful With My Heart movie aims 39th MMFF retrieved 08-17-2013
- Jodi Sta. Maria and Richard Yap reveal what to expect in 'Be Careful With My Heart, The Movie'
- 'Be Careful With My Heart' backs out MMFF retrieved via ABS-CBNnews.com 09-14-2013
- 'Be Careful With My Heart' pull-out big loss - MMFF Chief retrieved via ABS-CBNnews.com 09-14-2013