Beachwood water tower
Location of Beachwood in Ohio
Location of Beachwood in Cuyahoga County
|• Mayor||Merle Gorden|
|• Total||5.34 sq mi (13.83 km2)|
|• Land||5.33 sq mi (13.80 km2)|
|• Water||0.01 sq mi (0.03 km2)|
|Elevation||1,188 ft (362 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||11,844|
|• Density||2,242.6/sq mi (865.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1048493|
Beachwood is located at (41.482226, −81.504001).
16.1% were of Russian, 11.4% Polish, 10.0% German, 6.1% Hungarian, 6.1% American, and 6.0% Irish ancestries. 85.6% spoke English, 1.9% Chinese, 1.5% Russian, 1.4% Spanish, 1.2% Japanese, 1.0% Hebrew, and 1.0% Yiddish.
The median income for a household in the city was $71,932, and the median income for a family was $103,431. The per capita income for the city was $48,010. 3.2% of the population were below the poverty line. 2.7% of those under the age of 18 and 5.6% of those 65 and older were living below the poverty line.
Of the city's population over the age of 25, 57.3% held a bachelor's degree or higher. 89.5 percent of Beachwood's population is Jewish. As of 2000, Beachwood had the twenty-first highest percentage of Israeli residents in the US, with 1.6% of the population.
As of the census of 2010, there were 11,953 people, 5,064 households, and 3,005 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,242.6 inhabitants per square mile (865.9/km2). There were 5,483 housing units at an average density of 1,028.7 per square mile (397.2/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 77.3% White, 13.7% African American, 7.4% Asian, 0.4% from other races, and 1.2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.9% of the population.
There were 5,064 households of which 24.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.1% were married couples living together, 7.3% had a female householder with no husband present, 2.0% had a male householder with no wife present, and 40.7% were non-families. 37.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 23.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.16 and the average family size was 2.88.
The median age in the city was 52.5 years. 19.6% of residents were under the age of 18; 3.9% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 17.2% were from 25 to 44; 27.2% were from 45 to 64; and 32.3% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 44.3% male and 55.7% female.
Beachwood is served publicly by the Beachwood City Schools, which includes Beachwood Middle School and Beachwood High School. The latter is a Blue Ribbon awarded school, ranked among the top fifty schools in Ohio. All middle school students have their own Apple Computer laptops. There are also several private Jewish schools in Beachwood. There is Fuchs Mizrachi, an Orthodox Jewish school that begins in preschool and ends after high school, the Beatrice J. Stone Yavne High School, a Bais Yaakov Orthodox Jewish school that educates Jewish girls from 7th to 12th grade, as well as a Jewish day school, Agnon, which educates Jewish children from preschool through 8th grade.
The city is home to University Hospitals Ahuja Medical Center, which opened in 2011.
Beachwood is the home of Eaton Corporation's Eaton Center, which opened in February 2013.
- Samuel Glazer - Co-founder of Mr. Coffee
- Josh Mandel - Current Ohio State Treasurer,
- Armond Budish - Former Speaker of the House of Ohio, Current Cuyahoga County Executive Elect.
|University Heights, Shaker Heights||Woodmere, Pepper Pike|
|Highland Hills||Warrensville Heights||Orange|
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-06.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-06.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Population: Ohio". 1930 US Census. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 28 November 2013.
- "Number of Inhabitants: Ohio". 18th Census of the United States. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Ohio: Population and Housing Unit Counts". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- Bob Jacob (August 4, 2014). "Are rallies a start? Let's talk". Cleveland Jewish News. p. 1.
...city of about 12,000. The population of Beachwood is 89.5 percent Jewish.
- Hevesi, Dennis (2012-03-21). "Samuel Glazer Dies at 89; Popularized Drip Coffee". New York Times. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Beachwood, Ohio.|