Beadle County, South Dakota
|Beadle County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
South Dakota's location in the U.S.
|Founded||October 1, 1879|
|Named for||William Henry Harrison Beadle|
|• Total||1,265 sq mi (3,276 km2)|
|• Land||1,259 sq mi (3,261 km2)|
|• Water||6.1 sq mi (16 km2), 0.5%|
|• Density||14/sq mi (5/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Beadle County comprises the Huron, SD Micropolitan Statistical Area.
Beadle County, named in honor of Brigadier General William Henry Harrison Beadle, was created by the Dakota Territory Legislature in 1879 and formally organized in 1880 with the appointment of three county commissioners by Governor Nehemiah G. Ordway. The first town within Beadle County was Cavour, but Huron was named the county seat when the county commissioners first met there in July 1880.
- Spink County - north
- Clark County - northeast
- Kingsbury County - east
- Sanborn County - southeast
- Jerauld County - southwest
- Hand County - west
As of the census of 2000, there were 17,023 people, 7,210 households, and 4,535 families residing in the county. The population density was 14 people per square mile (5/km²). There were 8,206 housing units at an average density of 6 per square mile (3/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 96.93% White, 0.69% Black or African American, 0.95% Native American, 0.31% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.26% from other races, and 0.85% from two or more races. 0.91% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 49.9% were of German, 11.7% Norwegian, 6.1% Irish, 5.8% English and 5.5% United States or American ancestry.
There were 7,210 households out of which 28.30% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.50% were married couples living together, 7.40% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.10% were non-families. 33.10% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.00% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.30 and the average family size was 2.94.
In the county, the population was spread out with 24.70% under the age of 18, 8.30% from 18 to 24, 24.70% from 25 to 44, 23.00% from 45 to 64, and 19.40% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 96.60 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.70 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $30,510, and the median income for a family was $40,596. Males had a median income of $26,910 versus $19,785 for females. The per capita income for the county was $17,832. About 7.90% of families and 11.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.20% of those under age 18 and 12.30% of those age 65 or over.
The county is divided into thirty-six townships:
- Belle Prairie
- Burr Oak
- Lake Byron
- Pearl Creek
- Pleasant View
- Sand Creek
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 26, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- History of the Origin of the Place Names in Nine Northwestern States. 1908. p. 11.
- "2010 Census Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. August 22, 2012. Retrieved March 22, 2015.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved March 22, 2015.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved March 22, 2015.
- Forstall, Richard L., ed. (March 27, 1995). "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved March 22, 2015.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. April 2, 2001. Retrieved March 22, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- J.L. Carr (1957) The Old Timers. A social history of the way of life of the home-steading pioneers in the Prairie States during the first few years of settlement, as shown by a typical community, the 'old-timers' of Beadle County in South Dakota. Huron, South Dakota: privately printed.
||Spink County||Clark County|
|Hand County||Kingsbury County|
|Jerauld County||Sanborn County|