Bear City Roller Derby
|Teams||Berlin Bombshells (travel A-Team)
Inglorious Bombshells (travel B-Team)
X-berg Cosmo Knocks
The Good, The Bad and The Gorgeous
The league was founded as the Berlin Bombshells, although it now reserves that name for its interleague bouting team. It was the second roller derby league in Germany, and was assisted in its early development by the first league, the Stuttgart Valley Rollergirlz. In its early days, it was thrown out of its practice hall by Berlin's sports department; the team decided to take legal action to regain access to a public practice space. The league was given a boost when Diane Rott transferred from the B.ay A.rea D.erby Girls.
It competed in the first roller derby bout between two German leagues, against the Stuttgart Valley Rollergirlz in 2009. In the same year, it competed in "Roll Britannia", the first roller derby tournament in Europe, while in December it hosted the first European Roller Derby Organisational Conference (EROC).
Bear City hosted the first German Roller Derby Championship, held in December 2010, losing 124-128 to Stuttgart in the final.
- About, Bear City Roller Derby (German)
- Manda Singer, "Bombshelled", ProvokatoR, 6 September 2010
- Marta Popowska, "A short history of roller derby in Europe", Blood and Thunder #15, pp.18-23
- "WFTDA Apprentice Program Welcomes 10 New Leagues", WFTDA, 5 October 2010
- "Rollschuhfahren mal anders: Seit drei Jahren spielen Frauen aus Berlin und dem Umland „Rollerderby“", Märkische Allgemeine, 14 May 2011 (German)
- "Stuttgarter Rollergirlz siegen in Berlin", Good News, 18 December 2010 (German)