Beartown State Forest
|Beartown State Forest|
|Massachusetts State Forest|
|Location||69 Blue Hill Road|
|- elevation||1,722 ft (525 m) |
|Area||10,411 acres (4,213 ha) |
|Management||Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation|
|Website: Beartown State Forest|
Beartown State Forest is a Massachusetts state forest located in the town of Monterey. The forest encompasses more than 10,000 acres (4,000 ha) and includes 198 acres (80 ha) of recreational parkland.
Activities and amenities
- Benedict Pond: Swimming, fishing and non-motorized boating (boat ramp available) are offered on 35-acre (14 ha) Benedict Pond.
- Trails: A 1.7-mile (2.7 km) interpretive trail loops around Benedict Pond. The Appalachian Trail also passes near the pond and crosses approximately 7.5 miles (12.1 km) of the forest. Trails are available for all-terrain vehicles, horseback riding, mountain biking, snowmobiling, and snowshoeing.
- Camping: Camping is available year-round.
- There are also facilities for hunting (restricted) and picnicking as well as handicapped-accessible beaches and restrooms.
Flora and fauna
Wildlife include deer, bobcats, fishers, black bear, and beaver. Flora includes decidious forests, various flowering shrubs and wildflowers. Two areas of old growth forest exist in the park. At Burgoyne Pass ( ), there are 10 acres (4.0 ha) of old-growth eastern hemlock, northern red oak, eastern white pine, sweet birch, and yellow birch. At East Brook, there are 12 acres (4.9 ha) of old-growth eastern hemlock and yellow birch.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Beartown State Forest
- "2012 Acreage Listing". Department of Conservation and Recreation. April 2012. Retrieved January 30, 2014.
- "Beartown State Forest". MassParks. Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- Mary Byrd Davis (23 January 2008). "Old Growth in the East: A Survey". Archived from the original on 29 February 2012. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- D'Amato, A.; Orwig, D.; Foster, D. (2006). "New Estimates of Massachusetts Old-growth Forests: Useful Data for Regional Conservation and Forest Reserve Planning". Northeastern Naturalist 13 (4): 495–506. doi:10.1656/1092-6194(2006)13[495:NEOMOF]2.0.CO;2. Retrieved 2008-12-31.
- Beartown State Forest Department of Conservation and Recreation
- Summer Use Trail Map Department of Conservation and Recreation
- Winter Use Trail Map Department of Conservation and Recreation