April 30, 1895
Camden County, Georgia
|Died||January 19, 2009
(aged 113 years, 264 days)
Glynn County, Georgia
Second oldest living person
Beatrice Farve (April 30, 1895 – January 19, 2009) was an American supercentenarian who was, at age 113, the world's second-oldest verified person. She was also the second-oldest person in the United States, and the second-oldest African American, all behind California resident Gertrude Baines. Farve was the oldest person living in Georgia although not the oldest living person to be born there, as Baines was also born there.
Farve, who was born in Spring Bluff, Georgia, moved to Brunswick, Georgia after 1910. There she married Dennis "Destaris" John Farve, a World War I veteran, in 1921. The couple had five children, all still living at her death: Lottie Albury, 85; Bettie, 84; Rose, 82; Joan, 79; and Dennis Jr, 78.
Farve worked many years as a hotel cleaning lady in posh hotels along Georgia's sea islands, such as St. Simons Island. One of her favorite hobbies was to work in the garden. In her old age, she sold Avon beauty products until 1995 at age 100.
Farve died in her sleep on the afternoon of January 19, 2009.
Beatrice Scarlett was listed with her parents in the 1900 census, as aged 5 (born April 1895) and also in the 1910 census, at age 15. Although her actual date of birth is uncertain, Farve has traditionally celebrated her birthday "at the end of the month" in May. Since the 1910 census lists Farve as 15 years old on April 17, 1910, the family recently picked April 17 as her likely date of birth. Her Georgia ID card says "1905" on it, because the state's computers could not register "1895". Since the 1900 census lists both the month (April) and year, as well as current age - and because the 1910 census lists Farve as having been 15 in April 1910 - she was most likely born in April 1895.
- List of supercentenarians from the United States
- List of the verified oldest people
- "113-year-old woman dies in Georgia". USA Today. 2009-01-21. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- The Southern Cross, newspaper of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Savannah, January 4, 2001, p.4
- Ferguson, Anna (2009-01-21). "USA: 113-year-old Beatrice Farve dies in Georgia". The Brunswick News. at seniorsworldchronicle.com. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- Beatrice Scarlett search 1900 Census at genealogy.com. Accessed 2011-10-24.
- Beatrice Scarlett search 1910 Census at genealogy.com. Accessed 2011-10-24.