|Born||27 January 1879
|Died||30 October 1943
Worthing, West Sussex
|Pen name||Beatrice Tina, D. Triformis, Alice Morning, Robert á Field, and others|
|Occupation||writer and critic|
|Period||early 20th century|
Beatrice Hastings was the pen name of Emily Alice Haigh (27 January 1879 – 30 October 1943) an English writer, poet and literary critic. Much of her work was published in The New Age under a variety of pseudonyms, and she lived with the editor, A. R. Orage, for a time before the outbreak of the First World War. Bisexual, she was a friend and lover of Katherine Mansfield, whose work was first published in The New Age. Another of her lovers was Wyndham Lewis.
Born in London and raised in South Africa, just before the war, she moved to Paris and became a figure in bohemian circles due to her friendship with Max Jacob. She shared an apartment in Montparnasse with Amedeo Modigliani and posed for him as well.
Another friend was adventure novelist Charles Beadle, with whom she had several things in common. He grew up in Hackney, spent time in South Africa (participating in the Boer War as a member of the British South African Police), and published several novels about bohemian life in Paris. When Beadle came to America, from Paris, in November 1916, he listed Hastings as his nearest friend in Paris.
Towards the end of her life she felt excluded from the literary recognition she felt her due, and blamed Orage, whom she accused of conspiring to keep her out of literary circles in Britain, and she published a pamphlet, The Old New Age, bitterly criticising him in 1936. In 1943, probably suffering from cancer, she killed herself with gas from a domestic cooker.
- Woman's Worst Enemy - Woman, 1909
- The Maids' Comedy: A Chivalric Romance in Thirteen Chapters, 1911
- The Old "New Age"—Orage and Others, Blue Moon Press, 1935
- Defence of Madame Blavatsky Volumes 1 and 2, Worthing, Hastings Press, 1937
- Carswell, John, Lives and Letters, New York, New Directions, 1978.
- Gray, Stephen (1999). "Beatrice Hastings". Free-lancers and Literary Biography in South Africa. Amsterdam: Rodopi. pp. 59–76. ISBN 90-420-0666-8.
- Mairet, Philip, A. R. Orage - a Memoir, New York, University Books, 1966
- Mann, Carol, Modigliani, New York, OUP, 1980.
- Sichel, Pierre, Modigliani, New York, Dutton, 1967.
- Royal Academy of Arts
- The Modernist Journals Project
- Works by or about Beatrice Hastings in libraries (WorldCat catalog)