Popeye, acrylic on canvas, 2008
Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
The daughter of a lawyer and an art historian, Milhazes was born in Rio de Janeiro in 1960. She studied social communication at Faculdades Integradas Hélio Alonso (FACHA), Rio De Janeiro from 1978 to 1981 and studied at the School of Visual Arts (Escola de Artes Visuais - EAV) of Parque Lage, Rio De Janeiro from 1980 to 1982.
Milhazes has had solo and group exhibitions in a number of museums, including the Museum of Modern Art and the Musée d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris. From 4-21 July 2009, the Fondation Cartier pour l'art contemporain in Paris presented a major exhibition of her work.
Milhazes' paintings are in the permanent collections in many institutions, including the Museum of Modern Art, the Guggenheim, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Banco Itaú, and the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía.
Milhazes is represented by Stephen Friedman Gallery, London.
- Nichols, Matthew Guy (March 2005). "Beatriz Milhazes at James Cohan". Art in America (Brant Publications).
- Pedrosa, Adriano (Autumn 2004). "In the Studio: Adriano Pedrosa visits Beatriz Milhazes". TATE ETC (Tate) (2).
- Smith, Roberta (6 November 2008). "Art in Review - Beatriz Milhazes". The New York Times.
- Frédéric Paul, Beatriz Milhazes, Meu Bem, Rio de Janeiro: Base7 Projetos Culturais, 2013. ISBN 978-85-62094-12-5
- Art on the Underground - Peace and Love, Beatriz Milhazes - Gloucester Road tube station, London Underground
- James Cohan Gallery
- 2009 Exhibition at the Foundation Cartier in Paris. HD images on this blog : ZoomArt.fr (French)
|This article about a Brazilian painter is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|