Beaudesert Shire Tramway
|Beaudesert Shire Tramway|
Beaudesert Shire Tramway mixed train at Rathdowney station in 1912.
|Opening||10 October 1903|
|Closed||30 September 1944|
|Track length||39.36 mi (63.34 km)|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
The Beaudesert Shire Tramway was a narrow gauge tramway which operated from Beaudesert to Lamington and Rathdowney in Queensland. It was one of 15 light railways built and operated by Divisional Boards and Shire Councils in Queensland.
The Tabragalba Divisional Board, predecessor of the Beaudesert Shire, proposed the construction of the Tramway in 1899. Approval was granted on 23 October 1901 and the Beaudesert Tramway Committee was formed on 3 March 1902.
The main traffic was timber, dairy produce and livestock which were transshipped to the Queensland Railways Beaudesert line. Early traffic was promising. For example in the 1905-1906 financial year the Tramway carried 6,712 passengers, 75,375 imperial gallons (90,522 US gal; 342,660 L) of cream, 2,854 pigs, 743 long tons (755 t; 832 short tons) of general merchandise, 260 long tons (264 t; 291 short tons) of other agricultural produce and 9,669 long tons (9,824 t; 10,829 short tons) of timber.
Rathdowney and nearby towns were served by the 4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge interstate line from 1930. Following the "encroachment" of the standard gauge line and increasing competition from road transport, the Shire approached the Government of Queensland to take over the Tramway but the Minister for Railways declined.
|Image||Class||Number/Name||Wheel arrangement||Builder||Builders number||Built||Notes|
|B12||35||2-6-0||Ipswich Railway Workshops||3||1878||Purchased from Queensland Railways in 1902.
Used for construction of the line.
|Foden||4-2-0||Rail tractor based on a Foden steam lorry|
|B13||52||4-6-0||Dubs||1907||1884||Purchased from Queensland Railways in 1921.|
|B13||185||4-6-0||Dubs||1751||1883||Purchased from Queensland Railways in 1939.|
Much of the Tramway reservation is now on private property, although substantial portions are visible from public roads such as the Mount Lindesay Highway. The Tramway station at Rathdowney still exists. Tramway Road at Christmas Creek is built on the former tramway reservation.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Beaudesert Shire Tramway.|
- Keith McDonald and Ray Ellis (1980). Beaudesert Shire Tramway. Light Railway Research Society of Australia. ISBN 0909340110.
- Tabragalba Divisional Board Minutes, 7 Nov 1899; QSA:SRS4983/1/5
- "Beaudesert-Lara Tramway: Official Opening". The Brisbane Courier. 12 October 1903. p. 4.
- "The Beaudesert Tramway". The Brisbane Courier. 14 January 1924. p. 15.
- "Beaudesert Tramway: Report for 1906". The Brisbane Courier. 12 September 1906. p. 5.
- "Beaudesert Tramway Hit Hard By Kyogle Line: Deputation to Minister". The Brisbane Courier. 31 July 1931. p. 4.
- "Beaudesert Sells Its Tramway". The Courier-Mail. 1 November 1944. p. 4.
- Queensland State Archives Agency ID10855, Beaudesert Tramway Committee