Beaufort West Local Municipality
Location of Beaufort West Local Municipality within the Western Cape
|• Type||Municipal council|
|• Total||21,917 km2 (8,462 sq mi)|
|• Density||2.3/km2 (5.9/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||16.3%|
|First languages (2011)|
|Time zone||SAST (UTC+2)|
Beaufort West Municipality (Afrikaans: Beaufort-Wes Plaaslike Munisipaliteit) is a municipality located in the Western Cape Province of South Africa. As of 2011[update] the population is 49,586. Its municipality code is WC053.
The municipality covers an area of 21,917 square kilometres (8,462 sq mi), making it the largest local municipality in the Western Cape and the sixth-largest in South Africa. It is located in the furthest northeastern part of the province in the Great Karoo. It abuts on the Karoo Hoogland Municipality to the northwest, the Ubuntu Municipality to the north, the Camdeboo Municipality to the east, the Baviaans Municipality to the southeast, the Prince Albert Municipality to the south and the Laingsburg Municipality to the southwest.
According to the 2011 census the municipality has a population of 49,586 people in 13,089 households. Of this population, 73.5% describe themselves as "Coloured", 16.3% as "Black African", and 9.2% as "White". The first language of 84.3% of the population is Afrikaans, while 10.7% speak Xhosa and 2.5% speak English.
The main town in the municipality is Beaufort West, which as of 2011 has a population of 34,085. Murraysburg (pop. 5,069) is situated in the far east of the municipality. Nelspoort (pop. 1,699) is situated northeast of Beaufort West, while Merweville (pop. 1,592) is in the far west of the municipality.
The municipal council consists of thirteen members elected by mixed-member proportional representation. Seven councillors are elected by first-past-the-post voting in seven wards, while the remaining six are chosen from party lists so that the total number of party representatives is proportional to the number of votes received. In the election of 18 May 2011 the African National Congress won a majority of seven seats on the council.
|African National Congress||7,805||7,803||15,608||50.2||6||1||7|
|Independent Civic Organisation of South Africa||676||655||1,331||4.3||0||1||1|
|Congress of the People||182||661||843||2.7||0||0||0|
|National People's Party||208||170||378||1.2||0||0||0|
|South African Progressive Civic Organisation||31||40||71||0.2||0||0||0|
- "Contact list: Executive Mayors". Government Communication & Information System. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "Table: Census 2011 by district council, gender, age in 5 year groups and population group". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "Table: Census 2011 by district council, gender, language and population group". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "Beaufort West Local Municipality". Census 2011.
- Sum of the Main Places Beaufort West, New Town, Kwa-Mandlenkosi and Rustdene from Census 2011.
- Sum of the Main Places Murraysburg and Rooivlakte from Census 2011.
- "Results Summary – All Ballots: Beaufort West". Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 18 September 2012.
- "Seat Calculation Detail: Beaufort West". Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 18 September 2012.
- "Political composition of councils". Western Cape Department of Local Government. August 2012. Retrieved 17 August 2012.