Beauty (2011 film)
|Directed by||Oliver Hermanus|
|Starring||Deon Lotz, Charlie Keegan|
|Running time||98 minutes|
Beauty (Afrikaans: Skoonheid) is a 2011 South African film directed by Oliver Hermanus. It premiered in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival. The film was selected as the South African entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 84th Academy Awards, but it did not make the final shortlist.
|This article needs an improved plot summary. (December 2012)|
François (Deon Lotz) is a South African man in his forties who lives an apparently happy life. He's openly racist and homophobic, but at the same time he's sexually attracted to men and has periodic sex encounters with other white, married men. At his daughter's wedding, he meets again Christian (Charlie Keegan), a handsome young man, and quickly becomes obsessed with him. François starts chasing Christian, learning everything he can about him. Eventually, his attraction for the young guy turns into hatred that seems poised to explode into violence.
- Roeline Daneel as Anika
- Sue Diepeveen as Marika
- Charlie Keegan as Christian
- Deon Lotz as François
- Albert Maritz as Willem
- Michelle Scott as Elena
The film received positive reviews from critics. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 83% of professional critics gave the film a positive review, with a rating average of 6.8 out of 10. The majority of critics praised Deon Lotz's performance, Peter Bradshaw from The Guardian called it "A ferociously powerful, yet subtle and complex performance" and said it gave the film "a tragic dimension". David Parkinson from Empire Magazine also praised Lotz, and in his three out of five stars review summarized his verdict as "Despite that title, there's an ugly power to this study of obsession and anger."
- List of submissions to the 84th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of South African submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- "Festival de Cannes: Official Selection". Cannes. Archived from the original on 15 May 2011. Retrieved 2011-04-16.
- "Cannes film festival 2011: The full lineup". guardian.co.uk (London). 14 April 2011. Retrieved 2011-04-16.
- "Skoonheid: SA's Oscar entrant". Channel 24. Retrieved 2011-09-23.
- "63 Countries Vie for 2011 Foreign Language Film Oscar". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- "9 Foreign Language Films Vie for Oscar". Retrieved 2012-01-19.
- Skoonheid - Rotten Tomatoes
- Beauty - review
- Empire's Beauty Movie Review
- Baxter, Jenny (2011-05-22). "Afrikaans film ‘Skoonheid’ Wins The Queer Palm 2011". SA-people.com. Retrieved 2011-09-26.
- 2011 Zurich Film Festival Winners US films Take Shelter and Buck take the Top Prizes[dead link]