Beauty in the World
|"Beauty in the World"|
|Single by Macy Gray|
|from the album The Sellout|
|Released||March 30, 2010 (US)|
George Reichart 
|Macy Gray singles chronology|
"Beauty in the World" is a song by the American soul singer Macy Gray. It is the first single from her fifth album, The Sellout. The song was released digitally on March 30, 2010 in the United States and the music video, as well. It was notably used on the series finale of the ABC comedy dramedy series Ugly Betty episode "Hello Goodbye", in the films Killers and A Little Bit of Heaven, and in Microsoft videos for Internet Explorer 9.
Background and writing
The Sellout, Gray's fifth album and first since her under-performing 2007 album, Big. Gray spoke on how she was disappointed during this period. "I thought after Big flopped maybe I should do what everyone else was doing," she said. "Go out and hire the hottest producers, the best writers, get real skinny. But none of those people called me back."
The song was inspired by hearing her daughter's laughter on a down day. "I didn't even know what she was laughing at. I thought 'at least she's happy.' And I felt at least I hadn't failed there, because my daughter's happy."
- "Beauty in the World" – 3:52
Monica Herrera from Billboard magazine gave a positive review for the song, saying that: "Gray makes a strong case for her ability to craft another anthemic pop song. Nonthreatening folk pop is the vehicle of choice here: Over hand claps, a casual guitar strum and jangly tambourine, Gray sings, 'Listen to the sound, and lose it/Its sweet music, and dance with me.' While the concept feels a little hokey—as does rhyming 'beauty in the world' with 'shake your booty, boys and girls' in the chorus—it's the kind of song that should appeal to the singer's original fan base." John Bush from AllMusic did not find the song appealing, going on to say that it "has a lyric and melody by Gray alone, and despite the positive sentiments in the song, its melody is unmemorable and it includes a few embarrassing lines (e.g., 'There is beauty in this world/So much beauty in this world/Always beauty in this world/So much beauty in this world/Shake your booty boys and girls/For the beauty in the world')".
The video for the song, directed by Adria Petty premiered on April 9, 2010, and features Gray performing the song with cheerleaders, kids jumping rope, dancing and hand-clapping.
A second version of the video was made due to the 2010 FIFA World Cup and was titled "Beauty in the World Cup". The World Cup-themed music video for "Beauty in the World" shows Macy with models and soccer players in dresses and heels.
|Japan Hot 100||78|
|US Hot Dance Club Play (Billboard)||2|
|US Adult Pop Songs (Billboard)||40|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||23|
- "Beauty In The World: Macy Gray: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.com. Archived from the original on 19 June 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-22.
- ASCAP, accessed 13 February 2013
- "Beauty in the World - Single by Macy Gray - Download Beauty in the World - Single on iTunes". Itunes.apple.com. 2010-03-30. Retrieved 2010-06-22.
- "A year of Internet Explorer 9" (FLASH VIDEO). Microsoft. 2011-03-12. Retrieved 2011-03-15.
- "Macy Gray - Beauty In The World (Music Video!)". Directlyrics.com. 2010-04-09. Archived from the original on 11 June 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-22.
- Macy Gray premieres Beauty in the World Accessed in April, 2010
- Macy performs on the Jay Leno Show Retrieved 2010-05-12
- "Catch me on ABC's "Good Morning America" tomorrow morning!". Macy Gray. 2010-06-22. Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "Catch me performing on ABC's "The View" and NBC's "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" this Wednesday!". Macy Gray. 2010-06-23. Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- Macy Gray Beauty in the World music video premiere Popcrunch. Accessed on April 9, 2010
- Beauty In The World Cup video - Macy Gray News. MacyGray.com. Retrieved 2010-06-19
- "Japan Hot 100". Billboard. Archived from the original on 2 June 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-10.
- "Macy Gray Spreads Positive Vibes on 'The Sellout'". Billboard.com. 2009-09-14. Retrieved 2010-06-22.