Beaver Island Head Light
|Beaver Island Head Light (waterside view)|
|Location||Beaver Island, Charlevoix County, Michigan|
|Year first lit||1858|
|Tower shape||cylindrical (attached Victorian lightkeeper house)|
|Markings / pattern||yellow (natural) w/grey lantern and parapet, red roof|
|Height||Tower - 46 feet (14 m)|
|Focal height||103 feet (31 m)|
|Original lens||14 Lewis lamps and reflectors|
|Current lens||Fourth Order Fresnel lens removed & on display|
|Range||16 nautical miles (30 km; 18 mi)|
Beaver Island Light Station
|Location||East Side Drive
Peaine Township, Michigan
|NRHP Reference #||78001495|
|Added to NRHP||December 29, 1978|
|Designated MSHS||April 5, 1974|
The Beaver Head Light is located high on a bluff on the southern tip of Beaver Island. Boats trying to navigate North on Lake Michigan need to carefully work their way between Beaver Island and Gray's Reef.
The 46-foot (14 m) cylindrical tower was built in 1858, to replace an 1852 tower. The decagonal lantern room offers panoramic vistas of the Lake. The tower is open to the public from 8:00 a.m. though 9:00 p.m. during the summer.
A radio beacon was placed in 1962, at which time the station was decommissioned and declared surplus. That same year, the original Fourth Order Fresnel lens was removed and placed in the dwelling, where it can still be seen.
In 1975, the Charlevoix Public Schools purchased the site for $1.00. After some vandalism was incurred, in 1978 the District founded an alternative school for youth aged 16–21. The school district has operated an Environmental and Vocational Educational Center in the keepers dwelling. Maintenance and restoration of the structure is part of the curriculum. Beginning in 1978, recurrent summer work/study programs greatly restored the station, which was then opened as a school.
- Michigan Lighthouse Conservancy, Beaver Head Lighthouse.
- Terry Pepper, database on heights and focal planes.
- After 1858 upgrade."Historic Light Station Information and Photography: Michigan". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- State of Michigan (2009). "Beaver Island Light Station". Retrieved June 26, 2010.
- Wobser, David, Beaver Head (Beaver Island) Light at boatnerd.com.
- Rowlett, Russ. "Lighthouses of the United States: Michigan's Western Lower Peninsula". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Terry Pepper. "Seeing the Light – Beaver Head Light". Archived from the original on 30 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-23.
- Bibliography on Michigan lighthouses.
- Crompton, Samuel Willard & Michael J. Rhein, The Ultimate Book of Lighthouses (2002) ISBN 1-59223-102-0.
- Hyde, Charles K., and Ann and John Mahan. The Northern Lights: Lighthouses of the Upper Great Lakes. Detroit: Wayne State University Press, 1995. ISBN 0-8143-2554-8
- Jones, Ray & Bruce Roberts, American Lighthouses (Globe Pequot, September 1, 1998, 1st Ed.) ISBN 0-7627-0324-5.
- Jones, Ray, The Lighthouse Encyclopedia, The Definitive Reference (Globe Pequot, January 1, 2004, 1st ed.) ISBN 0-7627-2735-7.
- Noble, Dennis, Lighthouses & Keepers: U. S. Lighthouse Service and Its Legacy (Annapolis: U. S. Naval Institute Press, 1997. ISBN 1-55750-638-8.
- Oleszewski, Wes, Great Lakes Lighthouses, American and Canadian: A Comprehensive Directory/Guide to Great Lakes Lighthouses. Gwinn, Michigan: Avery Color Studios, Inc., 1998. ISBN 0-932212-98-0.
- Penrod, John, Lighthouses of Michigan (Berrien Center, Michigan: Penrod/Hiawatha, 1998) ISBN 0-942618-78-5.
- Pepper, Terry. "Seeing the Light: Lighthouses on the western Great Lakes".
- Putnam, George R., Lighthouses and Lightships of the United States. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Co., 1933).
- United States Coast Guard, Aids to Navigation, (Washington, DC: U. S. Government Printing Office, 1945).
- Scott T. Price. "U. S. Coast Guard Aids to Navigation: A Historical Bibliography". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office.
- Wagner, John L. "Beacons Shining in the Night: The Lighthouses of Michigan". Clarke Historical Library, Central Michigan University.
- Wagner, John L., Michigan Lighthouses: An Aerial Photographic Perspective. East Lansing, Michigan: John L. Wagner, 1998. ISBN 1-880311-01-1.
- Wright, Larry; Wright, Patricia, Great Lakes Lighthouses Encyclopedia. Erin: Boston Mills Press, 2006. ISBN 1-55046-399-3.
- Light List, Volume VII, Great Lakes (PDF). Light List. United States Coast Guard.
||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (March 2014)|
- Bartels, Joyse, Beaver Island Head Light history in the Beaver Beacon, June 2, 1904
- Clarke Historical Library, Central Michigan University, Bibliography for Charlevoix County
- Detroit News, Interactive map on Michigan lighthouses
- Lighthouse Lighthouse Central, Photographs, History, Directions and Way points for Beaver Island Head Light, The Ultimate Guide to West Michigan Lighthouses by Jerry Roach (Publisher: Bugs Publishing LLC - 2005) ISBN 0-9747977-0-7
- Lighthouse Friends, Beaver Island Head Light
- Lighthouses in the Mackinac Straits, Lighthouse Friends
- Map of Michigan Lighthouses in PDF Format
- Michigan Lighthouse Conservancy, Beaver Head Lighthouse
- Michigan lighthouse fund, Beaver Head Light
- National Park Service, Inventory of Historic Light Stations, Beaver Head Light