Beaver Township, Mahoning County, Ohio
|Beaver Township, Mahoning County, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Mahoning County
|• Total||35.3 sq mi (91.5 km2)|
|• Land||33.7 sq mi (87.3 km2)|
|• Water||1.6 sq mi (4.2 km2)|
|Elevation||1,017 ft (310 m)|
|• Density||199/sq mi (76.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086556|
Located in the southern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Boardman Township - northeast
- Springfield Township - east
- Unity Township, Columbiana County - southeast corner
- Fairfield Township, Columbiana County - south
- Salem Township, Columbiana County - southwest corner
- Green Township - west
- Canfield Township - northwest
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. The trustees are Thaddeaus Lyda (chair), Ronald Kappler, and Larry Wehr, and Richard Lotze is the fiscal officer. The township operates police and fire departments.
The Youngstown Elser Metro Airport is located within Beaver Township.
Most school age children residing in Beaver Township attend South Range Local School District. Its high school, middle school and elementary school are all located in a new (Fall 2010) complex in Beaver Township.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Beaver township, Mahoning County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 27, 2013.
- Sanderson, Thomas W. (1907). Twentieth Century History of Youngstown and Mahoning County. Biographical Publishing Company. p. 173.
- Mack, Horace (1879). History of Columbiana County, Ohio: With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers. Unigraphic. p. 311.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Archived from the original on 16 March 2007. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- Mahoning County Directory of Townships City and Village Officials 2008, Mahoning County District Board of Health, 2008, p. 4. Accessed 2008-12-27.
- Butler, Joseph Green, Youngstown and The Mahoning Valley, Ohio; 1921, American Historical Society, Chicago and New York.