Beaver Township, Pike County, Ohio
|Beaver Township, Pike County, Ohio|
|— Township —|
|• Total||23.8 sq mi (61.8 km2)|
|• Land||23.8 sq mi (61.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||823 ft (251 m)|
|• Density||60.8/sq mi (23.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086807|
Beaver Township is one of the fourteen townships of Pike County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 1,450 people in the township, 1,269 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the eastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Jackson Township - north
- Liberty Township, Jackson County - east
- Scioto Township, Jackson County - southeast
- Marion Township - south
- Union Townships Township - southwest
- Seal Township - west
Part of the village of Beaver is located in southeastern Beaver Township.
The township has an area of 23.5 sq mi (61 km2), 80% of which is wooded, and the rest is mainly agricultural.
Name and history 
Beaver Township was one of the original six townships created when Pike County was organized in 1815. Its original area was reduced to provide part of the area for Seal Township, and again in 1848 when Union and Marion Townships were formed from its area. The first settlers arrived within the current township in 1801.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Pike County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Archived from the original on 16 March 2007. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.