Beaverton Health & Science School
|Health & Science School|
|18640 NW Walker Road
Hillsboro, Oregon, Washington County, 97006
|School district||Beaverton School District|
|Number of students||687 (2012)|
The Beaverton Health & Science School is a public school in the U.S. state of Oregon. Part of the Beaverton School District, the school offer grades 6 through 12. Opened in 2007, the school is housed in the Capital Center at 185th Avenue and Walker Road in Hillsboro, Oregon.
The school district started the school in September 2007 with 120 students in ninth grade as an option program, with plans to add students each year until it included grades six through twelve. In January 2008, the district purchased the Capital Center from Portland Community College and the Oregon University System for $15 million to serve as the home for the Health & Science School. Plans called for an additional $6 million to be spent remodeling the center for use by the school. The Capital Center was previously a campus of Tektronix that was sold in 1995 to a consortium of local public education entities with plans that included using part of it for a regional high school.
In 2008, the school was one of six district schools that failed to provide enough class time to meet a state mandate. Three students were arrested on accusations of arson for a fire in a bathroom at the school in April 2011. Also in 2011, the school was rated as needing improvement by the state after it failed to hold some state mandated tests. The school was identified as one of several schools that would take students with the closure of Terra Nova High School in 2012. Female students participated in the Hermanas Conference sponsored by Intel Corporation in February 2013.
Health & Science School is an option school in which students opt out of their neighborhood school and are entered into a lottery for one of the limited spots at the school. As of 2013 it had an achievement index rating from the state of 56 and a rating of below average. Enrollment for the 2012 to 2013 school year was 687 students.
- "Health & Science School: English Report Card". School and District Report Cards. Oregon Department of Education. Retrieved 2 December 2013.
- "Health and Science School". The Oregonian. Retrieved 2 December 2013.
- Woolington, Rebecca (April 26, 2011). "Hillsboro police arrest three teenage girls following investigation into fire at Health and Science School". The Oregonian. Retrieved 2 December 2013.
- Maurer, Tom (January 15, 2008). "Beaverton school district buys Capital Center". The Oregonian. Retrieved 2 December 2013.
- Hsuan, Amy (June 28, 2007). "Option programs get overhaul for 2008-09". The Oregonian. p. Metro West Neighbors 11.
- Franzen, Robin (June 28, 1995). "Q: Who's paying for the Capital Center?". The Oregonian.
- Navas, Melissa (October 17, 2008). "Six Beaverton schools fail to meet required class time". The Oregonian. p. B1.
- Woolington, Rebecca (April 18, 2011). "Hillsboro police say fire at Health and Science School was arson". The Oregonian. Retrieved 2 December 2013.
- Owen, Wendy (October 15, 2011). "Schools rate good, not great". The Oregonian.
- Owen, Wendy (February 4, 2012). "Families try to save school". The Oregonian. p. Metro West Neighbors.
- "Female students focus on science at forum". Beaverton Valley Times. February 20, 2013. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- Owen, Wendy (November 19, 2011). "Teacher transfer spurs concerns". The Oregonian. p. Metro West Neighbors.