Because I Said So (film)
|Because I Said So|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Michael Lehmann|
|Produced by||Paul Brooks
|Written by||Karen Leigh Hopkins
Tom Everett Scott
|Music by||David Kitay|
|Edited by||Paul Seydor
|Gold Circle Films|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
|Running time||102 minutes|
Because I Said So is a 2007 romantic comedy film directed by Michael Lehmann and starring Diane Keaton, Mandy Moore, Lauren Graham, Piper Perabo and Stephen Collins. It was released on February 2, 2007.
The movie focuses on Daphne (Diane Keaton), the loving but over-bearing mother of three girls, in particular Milly (Mandy Moore). Her other daughters Maggie (Lauren Graham) and Mae (Piper Perabo) are happily married but Milly has recently broken up with her boyfriend, and Daphne is concerned.
Daphne fears that her daughter cannot find a good man on her own so she secretly places a personal ad for her daughter. She finds a potential candidate, Jason (Tom Everett Scott), and tries to orchestrate a chance meeting of the two. The plan seems flawless until Milly finds her own date, guitarist Johnny (Gabriel Macht), who happens to be a candidate Daphne rejected before. Milly is unaware of her mother's scheming and begins relationships with both Jason and Johnny at the same time, with neither aware of the other.
Inevitably, this double-dating takes its toll and Milly becomes estranged from both Jason and Johnny. In Jason's case, it is because she discovers Daphne's scheming. Meanwhile, Daphne stumbles upon her own perfect match after being alone for many years and begins to challenge her search for the 'perfect' match for Milly. Milly also realizes she has a choice to be the daughter her mother wants her to be, or to be the woman she wants herself to be. Choosing the latter, which comes with a row with her mother, leads her to reconcile with Johnny, a relationship Daphne has realized is what she should never have tried to orchestrate in the first place.
- Diane Keaton as Daphne Wilder
- Mandy Moore as Milly Wilder
- Gabriel Macht as Johnny Dresden
- Tom Everett Scott as Jason Grant
- Stephen Collins as Joe Dresden, Johnny's father.
- Ty Panitz as Lionel Dresden, Johnny's son.
- Lauren Graham as Maggie Wilder-Decker
- Colin Ferguson as Derek Decker, Maggie's husband.
- Piper Perabo as Mae Wilder
- Matt Champagne as Eli, Mae's husband.
- Zachary Gordon as Little Arthur (Uncredited)
The film has a marketing tie-in allowing customers to buy panties with different sayings from the movie.
In its first weekend of release, the film placed second in total box office receipts. For the weekend of February 2, 2007, the film earned $13,022,000. As of April 5, 2007, its domestic gross was $42,674,040. According to Box Office Guru, "men showed practically zero interest in the Universal release. Studio research showed that a whopping 82% of the audience was female. 55% of the turnout was 35 or older. 83% was Caucasian."
The film received negative reviews, scoring 5% on Rotten Tomatoes, where it eventually earned the "Moldy Tomato Award" - awarded to the worst-reviewed film of the year. William Booth of the Washington Post rated it the worst movie of 2007. Keaton's performance in the film earned her a Golden Raspberry Award nomination for Worst Actress.
- "Because I Said So (2007)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved February 14, 2008.
- "Because I Said So". Custom-Panties.com. Archived from the original on February 13, 2008. Retrieved February 14, 2008.
- "Weekend Box Office (February 2-4, 2007)". Box Office Guru. Archived from the original on February 3, 2008. Retrieved February 14, 2008.
- "Because I Said So Movie Reviews". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved February 14, 2008.
- "9th Annual Golden Tomato Awards". Rotten Tomatoes. Archived from the original on February 13, 2008. Retrieved February 14, 2008.
- Booth, William (December 29, 2007). "Rated PU, Unfit for Any Audience". Washington Post. Retrieved February 14, 2008. "Diane Keaton will always be beloved for "Annie Hall"... [but] her mom-rom-com "Because I Said So" is the worst movie of the year."
- Official website
- Because I Said So at the Internet Movie Database
- Because I Said So at AllMovie
- Because I Said So at Rotten Tomatoes