"Because the Night" is a song first released by the Patti Smith Group, and co-written by Patti Smith and Bruce Springsteen, which was released as a single in 1978, taken from Smith's album Easter. The song was a hit, rising to #13 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, and helping propel sales of Easter to mainstream success – even as Smith was deciding to retire from a life of constant touring. The song remains one of the best known of Smith's catalog. In 1987, her recording was ranked number 116 on NME magazine's list of "The Top 150 Singles of All Time".
The song was originally recorded by Bruce Springsteen during sessions for his Darkness on the Edge of Town album. He was not satisfied with it; the Patti Smith Group was working on Easter in the studio next door, with engineer/producer Jimmy Iovine working on both albums. Iovine gave Smith a tape of the song, she recast it, and it was included on Easter, becoming the first single released from that album. Though it was never released on any of Springsteen's studio albums, in concert beginning with his Darkness Tour Springsteen would often perform the song with his own lyrics. The song was first performed live (with Patti Smith) at CBGB's in New York City on December 30, 1977. Until the 2010 release of Springsteen's box set The Promise, which included the original recording from the Darkness on the Edge of Town sessions, the only commercially released recording of a Springsteen version of the song was in the 1986 box set Live/1975–85, where Smith was listed as co-writer.
Charts and certifications 
Peak positions 
Co.Ro featuring Taleesa version 
|"Because the Night"
|Single by Co.Ro featuring Taleesa
|from the album The Album
||"It's a Love"
||CD single, CD maxi
|Co.Ro featuring Taleesa singles chronology
In 1992, Co.Ro released a version that featured Taleesa that sold over 660,000 copies. It was a gold record in France and reached number one in Italy, Spain, and several other European countries. In Brazil, it was huge success, and became a big openning of a Eurodance explosion in the 90s
Track listing 
- CD single – Europe (1992)
- "Because the Night" (T.L.S. Radio Mix) – 4:32
- "Because the Night" (T.L.S. Mix) – 5:20
- "It's a Love" (T.S.F. Mix) – 3:40
- "Because the Night" (Dub Mix) – 5:20
Chart performance 
10,000 Maniacs version 
A well-known Unplugged version was recorded by 10,000 Maniacs in 1993 for MTV Unplugged, with a few lyrical alterations. The recording gained considerable radio airplay and reached number 11 on the Billboard Hot 100, which was the first time the group broke the top forty.
Track listing 
- CD single – US (1993)
- "Because the Night" (live version) – 3:28
- "Stockton Gala Days" (live version) – 5:25
Chart performance 
|End of year chart (1994)
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100
Cascada version 
In 2008, Cascada recorded a version which appears on their second album Perfect Day. The music video for the single premiered on YouTube on 28 May 2008. The single was released on July 18, 2008 in Germany, July 21, 2008 in France and August 4, 2008 in the UK.
Track listing 
- CD single – Europe (2008)
- "Because the Night" – 3:26
- "Because the Night" (Original Mix) – 5:32
- "Because the Night" (Mondo Remix) – 5:58
- "Because the Night" (2-4 Grooves Remix) – 5:45
- "Because the Night" (The Hitmen Remix) – 5:49
- "Because the Night" (The Hitmen Remix Cut) – 5:04
- "Because the Night" (Manox Remix) – 6:19
Chart performance 
Release History 
||18 July 2008
||28 July 2008
Garbage and Screaming Females version 
In early 2013, Garbage and Screaming Females recorded a cover of "Because the Night" for an exclusive vinyl release on that year's Record Store Day; an annual celebration of independent record stores. Garbage had released two singles ("Blood for Poppies" and "Battle In Me") to mark the 2012 event, and were keen to release "something special" for the following year. The band decided to record "Because the Night" with Screaming Females following some well-received duets of the track at live dates during their North American tour. Marissa Paternoster of Screaming Females originally suggested covering "Because the Night" live. "We thought it'd be the perfect opportunity to solidify a recording and do something really special for the fans and for all the independent record stores," Garbage frontwoman Shirley Manson told Billboard. 
Screaming Females flew from their base in New Jersey to Los Angeles to record the track with Garbage, who had set up two complete sets of instruments in EastWest Studios for the session. Garbage drummer Butch Vig told NME: "We did it old-school style. They came out to Hollywood and we went into a big tracking room and recorded Phil Spector style... We cut it live and did very few overdubs, did everything in a day and it came out pretty great. Marissa plays, I think, a 48-bar guitar solo at the end, that girl can shred like Eddie Van Halen, no kidding."
Garbage used social media to raise awareness of the release, and to Record Store Day in general. The band shot a video where they professed their love for independant stores, and stated their earliest memories of shopping in them, while Manson wrote a statement about the importance of the continued existence of these stores, and of vinyl records: "In a world like ours, where we live increasingly isolated lives behind the lonely glow of our computer screens, Record Store Day reminds us all that an independent record store is worth protecting and fighting for. They are a haven and a harbour for all curious and wandering souls". Manson also tipped her hat to Patti Smith in the run-up to RSD 2013: "She is absolutely, without a doubt, one of my greatest inspirations. When I think I can't do things, I think about her and what she's achieved and what she continues to achieve on her own terms—always. That really inspires me. I don't know if she's aware of the cover we're releasing, or if she's aware that I covered "Kimberly" with Angelfish."
Single release 
"Because the Night" was pressed to a "Coke bottle-green" 10" vinyl and backed with "Love Like Suicide" and a fan remix of the album's opening track "Automatic Systematic Habit". An original Garbage song, "Love Like Suicide" had been previously released as bonus track exclusive to the Japan pressing of Not Your Kind of People. Manson explained the songs inclusion to MySpace: "We’re releasing it now because we wanted to give a nice gift for the fans." The remix of "Automatic..." was produced by Garbage fan Konstantin Khazev and won first prize in an amateur remix competition held through the Beatport website in 2012. The RSD package was limited to 5,000 units, with the sleeve artwork created by Marissa Paternoster.
The release of "Because the Night" in the United Kingdom was delayed due to problems with the record's distributor. The band made a statement via social media the evening before Record Store Day: "We are so pissed off and disappointed about this. And so sad that on Record Store Day in the UK our little jewel will not be available for sale". The UK release of "Because the Night" was rescheduled to May 13, 2013.
On May 7, 2013, Garbage issued a digital single of "Because the Night" in the United States, which was followed a week later by an international digital release.
Music video 
While Garbage and Screaming Females recorded at EastWest Studios, Sophie Muller shot black and white footage to document the sessions. On March 4, 2013, a teaser video was released to YouTube featuring clips of the band members. The full music video was subsequently released on April 17; ahead of Record Store Day.
Critical reception 
The cover version of "Because the Night" was positively received by contemporary music critics in advance of Record Store Day. Billboard magazine's Hilary Hughes stated, "...the Garbage/Screaming Females release embodies the shifts brought on by Record Store Day that impact the music industry across the board-and the shaping trends that have fueled Record Store Day's meteoric rise from a community experiment to an international movement," referencing the pairing of artists and the independent label of release. Chris Martins of Spin wrote, "...the bands gel awesomely. The highlight comes when Paternoster starts to shred. We have a feeling Miss Smith will be proud."
Track listing 
- 10" Record Store Day release (STNVOL-007)
- "Because the Night" - 4:55
- "Automatic Systematic Habit" (Costa Cadeu Remix) - 4:38
- "Love Like Suicide" - 3:51
- "Because the Night" - 4:55
Release history 
Other cover versions 
- In 1980, Tony Award winner Patti LuPone sang the song during her engagement at the New York nightclub Les Mouches.
- In 1986, heavy metal band Keel did a version of the song on their album The Final Frontier.
- In 1994, the experimental alternative band Sonic Youth drastically reworked the song for the first track, "Becuz", from their album Washing Machine, playing on the repetitive aspects of Smith's original, and contrasting Smith's ebullient vocals with a breathy near-whisper by Kim Gordon, a departure from Gordon's ordinarily Smith-like grunge-era delivery.
- In 1996, Japanese singer-songwriter Ua covered the song on her single "Kumo ga Chigireru Toki".
- Trip hop band Earthling recorded a cover of the song for their Blood Music EP released in 1996.
- A version by punk singer Beki Bondage appeared on the 1997 compilation album Barefoot – A Tribute to Patti Smith, and also featured as the opening track on the gothic/fetish-themed compilation Stiletto Vamp released on the now defunct Dressed to Kill label.
- In 1998, Kim Wilde released a cover of the song, which appears on the Germany-only various artists release Philharmania.
- The Spanish band Tahúres zurdos covered this for their 2000 album El tiempo de la luz. The title ("La noche es") and the lyrics where translated into Spanish, but the song kept the "Because the night belongs to lovers, because the night belongs to us" part intact in English. The lyrics are not a literal translation, but still quite true to the original.
- Japanese singer-songwriter Chihiro Onitsuka performed a live cover at the Yokohama Arena on August 23, 2001.
- German DJ Jan Wayne released a dance version in 2002 that reached number 14 in the UK and topped the charts in the Netherlands for several weeks. It reached number 2 on the Belgian charts.
- In 2008, the Italian project May released their own version of the song, under the label D:vision.
- In 2008, the Italian Gothic metal band Domina Noctis covered this song on their second album, Second Rose.
- In 2008, the French Dark electro band A7IE performed a live cover on November 1, 2008, in France. This song is available on True Mania 5 Years Compilation.
- In 2007, the Scottish singer-songwriter KT Tunstall collaborated with an all-star cast of Cuban musicians of the Buena Vista Social Club. Their version of the song was released with the album Rhythms del Mundo Classics on July 31, 2009.
- In 2009, the London-based octet Brontosaurus Chorus had their version of the song included on the Springsteen tribute album Play Some Pool, Skip Some School, Act Real Cool, released on the WIAIWYA label.
- In 2012, US X Factor contestant CeCe Frey performed this for her first live show.
- Irish singer/songwriter Hazel Kaneswaran covered this song and released it as a single.
- In 2012, alternative rock band Garbage performed an excerpt of the song at the end of the performance of their first single "Vow".
Notable live cover performances 
- ^ "Best of All-time Lists". Acclaimed Music. Archived from the original on 7 March 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-04.
- ^ "Billboard chart – Patti Smith Group". Allmusic. Retrieved 2008-03-04.
- ^ "UK chart – Patti Smith Group". Retrieved 2008-03-04.
- ^ "European charts – Patti Smith Group". Retrieved 2008-03-04.
- ^ "Irish charts". Irish Recorded Music Association. Archived from the original on 21 February 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-04.
- ^ "Patti Smith Group – Because the Night – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Hung Medien.
- ^ Canada peak (1978)
- ^ "Swedishcharts.com – Patti Smith Group – Because the Night". Singles Top 60. Hung Medien.
- ^ "Italian single certifications – Patti Smith Group – Because the Night" (PDF) (in Italian). Federation of the Italian Music Industry. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- ^ "British single certifications – Patti Smith – Because the Night". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 10 January 2013. Enter Because the Night in the field Search. Select Title in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Click Go
- ^ "Co.Ro Feat. Taleesa – Because the Night – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Hung Medien.
- ^ Belgian peak
- ^ "Lescharts.com – Co.Ro Feat. Taleesa – Because the Night" (in French). Les classement single. Hung Medien.
- ^ "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- ^ Irish Single Chart Irishcharts.ie (Retrieved April 10, 2008)
- ^ "Swedishcharts.com – Co.Ro Feat. Taleesa – Because the Night". Singles Top 60. Hung Medien.
- ^ "UK chart – 10,000 Maniacs". Retrieved 2008-04-02.
- ^ Canadian peak (1993)
- ^ "Billboard charts – 10,000 Maniacs". Allmusic. Retrieved 2008-04-02.
- ^ "Billboard Top 100 - 1994". Retrieved 2010-08-27.
- ^ "Cascada – Because the Night – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Hung Medien.
- ^ "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200934 into search.
- ^ "Cascada Album & Song Chart History" European Hot 100 for Cascada. Prometheus Global Media.
- ^ "Cascada - Because the Night". Charts.de. Media Control.
- ^ "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200828 into search.
- ^ "Archive Chart" UK Singles Chart. Official Charts Company.
- ^ Cascada in den US Billboard Global Dance Tracks
- ^ New Music From Garbage "New Music From Garbage". Garbage.com. Retrieved 2012-05-07.
- ^ "Record Store Day 2013: Complete List of Exclusives". Spin. Retrieved 2013-05-07.
- ^ Watson, Rob (2012-03-15). "Record Store Day 2012". Garbagediscobox. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- ^ Watson, Rob. "Press Release: Battle In Me out May 7th?". Garbagediscobox. Retrieved 2012-03-20.
- ^ a b c Hughs, Hilary. "Record Store Day: Garbage, Postal Service and Other Vinyl Devotees Serve It Up". Billboard. Retrieved 2013-05-07.
- ^ Template:Citweb
- ^ Watson, Rob. "Because The Night Duet". GarbageDiscoBox. Retrieved 2013-05-07.
- ^ "Garbage plan to release new album next year". NME. 2013-04-01. Retrieved 2013-05-20.
- ^ "Read Shirley Manson's Love Letter to Dying Record Stores; Garbage prepping a mysterious Record Store Day exclusive". Spin. Retrieved 2013-05-07.
- ^ a b Kim, Kristen Yonsoo (2013-04-17). "FOR THE RECORDS: RSD 2013; Garbage Rises Above the Flood". MySpace. Retrieved 2013-05-07.
- ^ a b Watson, Rob. "USA, Because The Night, STNVOL-007, 10-inch commercial single for RSD 2013". Garbage-Discography.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-05-07.
- ^ "AUTOMATIC SYSTEMATIC HABIT (COSTA CADEU REMIX) - SINGLE". Retrieved 2013-02-14.
- ^ a b "Garbage and Screaming Females – "Because The Night"". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2013-05-07.
- ^ a b Watson, Rob. "UK release of Because The Night". GarbageDisco. Retrieved 2013-05-07.
- ^ a b c "Because The Night (Single)". iTunes USA. Retrieved 2012-05-07.
- ^ a b "“Because The Night” digital single". Garbage.com. Retrieved 2013-05-20.
- ^ "Garbage by Sophie Muller". Garbage. Retrieved 2012-05-07.
- ^ a b "See Garbage and Screaming Females Record Patti Smith's 'Because the Night'; Shirley Manson, Marissa Paternoster's womance blooms". Spin. Retrieved 2012-05-07.
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives
- ^ 
- ^ Amandine Bourgeois' cover of Because the night http://www.mytaratata.com/Pages/VIDEO_page_video.aspx?sig=iLyROoafvr2e
- ^ Exclusive: ?uestlove on Rocking With Springsteen http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/exclusive-uestlove-on-rocking-with-springsteen-20101118
- ^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M5MuG1Aias
External links