Becoming the Archetype
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (March 2011)|
|Becoming the Archetype|
|Origin||Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.|
|Genres||Christian metal, technical death metal|
|Labels||Solid State, Century Media|
|Associated acts||Aletheian, Thaddeus, Pneuma|
|Past members||Jon Star
Brent "Duck" Duckett
Becoming the Archetype is an American Christian technical death metal band signed to Solid State Records and Century Media Records (Europe) formed in 1999 in Dacula, Georgia. They have released five albums on Solid State Records. Dichotomy, released in November 2008, sold around 2,300 copies in the United States in its first week of release, according to Nielsen Soundscan. The CD debuted at No. 18 on the Top New Artist Albums (Heatseekers) chart, which lists the best-selling albums by new and developing artists, defined as those who have never appeared in the Top 100 of The Billboard 200. The band is part of the New Wave of American Heavy Metal.
As of late 2011, the last remaining original, founding members of the band (bassist, lead vocalist Jason Wisdom & drummer Brent Duckett) have left.
- 1 History
- 2 Etymology
- 3 Band members
- 4 Discography
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Terminate Damnation (2004–2006)
Before joining Solid State Records, the band was called The Remnant and released an independent self-titled album. In December 2004, the band signed with Solid State and released their first nation-wide album, Terminate Damnation, named after a song by Christian death metal band Mortification, mixed by Tue Madsen. The album blended elements of progressive metal, death metal and metalcore.
In 2006, the band's longtime lead guitarist, and one of the primary songwriters Jon Star decided to leave the band for personal reasons, but on good terms.
Terminate Damnation is being released on vinyl by Broken Circle Records with a limited pressing of 500 in early May.
The Physics of Fire (2006–2008)
The band's first tour of 2006 was a 24-date run in Europe with The Chariot and Shaped by Fate with lead guitar replacement, Alex Kenis from progressive death metal group, Aletheian. In July 2006, original guitarist Sean Cunningham left the band for his last semester in college and to pursue a full-time career. Determined to press on, in the fall of 2006, the band went back into the studio with producer Andreas Magnusson (The Agony Scene, Scarlet, The Black Dahlia Murder, Calico System, Twelve Tribes); The Physics of Fire, was released May 2007. The band promoted the album on "The Trilogy of Hairs" (Bring Your Own Beard, Peel Your Wig Back, Born With a Mustache) tour. The bearded skull artwork for the Bring Your Own Beard has been dubbed "Clifton", and is BTA's mascot, according to Jason Wisdom. Also, Brent Duckett took an indefinite break from the band in late 2007 for personal reasons.
In 2008, there were some important personnel changes. Alex Kenis left and was replaced by the band's former lead guitarist, Jon Star. In the spring of 2008 The band wrote the material for its 3rd studio album and recorded the project with stand-in drummer Brandon Lopez in Summer '08 with producer Devin Townsend. In November 2008, the band released Dichotomy. The album's concept was inspired by the Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis and uses the same themes of biology vs technology, and man vs machine. The sixth song on the album, "Ransom" is, for instance, named after the main character of the trilogy. On October 31, 2008, Brent "Duck" Duckett returned. The band was featured in the 2008 Nov/Dec issue of HM Magazine and tour support also followed. In October 2009, the band released a new single titled "Necrotizing Fasciitis". The single was packaged with a Necrotizing Fasciitis-themed shirt. "Clifton", the bearded skull, returned on the single's artwork.
In 2010, Becoming the Archetype's lead guitarist Jon Star left the band once again and was replaced with guitarist Daniel Gailey.
Celestial Completion (2011–2012)
Celestial Completion is Becoming the Archetype's fourth studio album on Solid State Records. It was recorded in Glow in the Dark studios in Atlanta, Georgia with Matt Goldman (Underoath, The Chariot, Vanna) from October to November 2010, and includes many new concepts. Said Seth Hecox, "we have Dennis Culp of Five Iron Frenzy playing trombone on a ska section of track nine," and, "we have a track of just sitar and tambura and Tablas." 
The band released a single, The Magnetic Sky on February 14, 2011, in order to promote the album. Then, beginning on Friday, March 18, one new song from Celestial Completion was released per day until the album's release, on March 29, as a part of the "12 days of BTA." A video for The Magnetic Sky premiered at MetalSucks.net on the same day of the album's release.
In late November, after playing "over 80 shows in 12 different countries in just an 8 month span," and writing, recording, and releasing the single Oh Holy Night, the band announced that Jason Wisdom and Brent Duckett were leaving the band. It was also announced that Chris McCane would be the band's new lead vocalist and they had found a new drummer (later announced on their Facebook as Michael McClellan). Seth Hecox and lead guitarist Daniel Gailey were in the process of writing songs for the next album.
I Am (2012-present)
In April 2012 the band announced they'd enter the studio with producer Shane Frisby (Bury Your Dead, The Ghost Inside, Corpus Christi) from May 21-June 18 to record their fifth full length album for Solid State Records. The band added bassist Codey Watkins, formerly of the Chattanooga, TN based hardcore band In This Hour, to the lineup, announced via Facebook. Drummer Michael McClellan left shortly before going into the studio and was replaced by Chris Heaton, formerly of the Knoxville, TN based hardcore band Dear Lovely. Their new album is called I Am, and was released September 18th 2012.
The members are professed Christians, and the band takes its name from Genesis 1:26: "God said, 'Let us make man in our image.'" Since Jesus Christ was the only person to ever be sinless, He was the archetype of humanity; the band's name reflects this belief. In a 2008 interview with The Full Armor of God Broadcast, Jason Wisdom summed up the band's philosophy, stating "If we are not making a difference for the Lord, then we are just out there making noise!"
- Seth "Count Seth" Hecox – rhythm guitar, keyboards, clean vocals (2004–present)
- Daniel Gailey – lead guitar, backing vocals (ex Thaddeus) (2010–present)
- Chris McCane - lead vocals (ex Thaddeus) (2011–present)
- Codey Watkins - bass (2012–present)
- Chris Heaton - drums, percussion (2012–present)
- Jason Wisdom – lead vocals (1999–2011), bass (2003–2011)
- Brent "Duck" Duckett – drums (1999–2008, 2008–2011)
- Jon Star – lead guitar (1999–2006, 2008–2010)
- Sean Cunningham - guitar (1999–2006)
- Wes Gaither – bass (1999–2003)
- Jacob Franklin – rhythm guitar (2001–2004)
- Alex Kenis – lead guitar, clean vocals (2006–2008)
- Brandon Lopez – drums (2008)
- Michael McClellan- drums (2011–2012)
- Touring members
- Abishai Collingsworth (The Overseer) - drums (2011)
As Nonexistent Failure
- In Loving Memory of Everything... I Never Had (2002, demo)
As The Remnant
As Becoming the Archetype
|US||US Heat||US Christ|
|2005||Terminate Damnation||Solid State Records||—||—||—|
|2007||The Physics of Fire||Solid State/Century Media||—||13||19|
|2008||Dichotomy||Solid State Records||—||19||41|
|2011||Celestial Completion||Solid State Records||—||7||18|
|2012||I Am||Solid State Records||—||16||17|
- "Necrotizing Fasciitis" (non-album digital single, 2009, Solid State)
- "O Holy Night" (non-album digital single, 2011, Solid State) 
- "Endure" (The Physics Of Fire) – 2007
- "The Magnetic Sky" (Celestial Completion) – 2011
- "Breathing Light" (Celestial Completion) – 2011
- "The Time Bender" (I Am) - 2012
- "Artist | Becoming The Archetype". Solid State Records. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- Becoming the Archetype: Dichotomy first-week sales revealed BlabberJesus.net
- Garry Sharpe-Young. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- "Artist | Becoming The Archetype". Solid State Records. Archived from the original on 3 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "Broken Circles Records". Brokencircles.com. Archived from the original on 8 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "Becoming The Archetype - "Dichotomy" - BANDSONFIRE | Christ-centered Hardcore/Metal/Emo/Punk/Alternative/Rock/Indie/HipHop & more". Bandsonfire. Archived from the original on 25 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- Sciarretto, Amy. "Becoming the Archetype's 'Sound Is Stretched' on 'Celestial Completion'". http://www.noisecreep.com.
- "New Becoming The Archetype Song "The Magnetic Sky" Posted!". Solid State Records.
- "March of the Dead: Song of the Week No. 3 :: Becoming the Archetype". Celestialcompletion.com. 2011-03-14. Archived from the original on 8 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- Tuesday, March 29th, 2011 at 1:00pm by MetalSucks (2011-03-29). "Exclusive Video Premiere: Becoming The Archetype Enter A Nintendo-Riffic "Magnetic Sky"". MetalSucks. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- Hecox, Seth (28). "THE NEW BTA".
- Seth, Hecox. "SUMMER TOURING!".
- "Becoming the Archetype Band Profile". Becomingthearchetype.com. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- "Jason Wisdom on The Full Armor of God Broadcast". Podcast.fullarmorradio.com. 2009-01-23. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- "Becoming the Archetype: 'Celestial Completion' First-Week Sales Revealed". Blabbermouth.net. Roadrunner Records. April 6, 2011. Retrieved April 6, 2011.
- "Celestial Completion - Becoming The Archetype". Billboard (magazine).
- ""Go get Necrotizing Fasciitis! Embrace the Plague!" Official BtA blog at MySpace". Blogs.myspace.com. 2009-09-14. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- "O Holy Night: Becoming the Archetype". Amazon.com. 6.
- "Breathing Light Music Video Announced". Celestialcompletion.com. 2011-04-21. Retrieved 2011-09-13.