Beer rating is assessing and evaluating beer using a point system. The process is similar to that used in beer judging competitions, such as those organised by the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) in America, though the participants are consumers so it may be termed a score-rated recommendation system. The rating system may be a simple 5 marks, and may be organized by a beer store or pub chain such as Wetherspoons in the UK; or it may be more involved, such as the systems used by beer rating websites such as BeerAdvocate and RateBeer.
RateBeer was founded in May 2000 by Bill Buchanan as a forum for beer drinkers to exchange information and share opinions of beer. In June 2000, the Canadian beer writer Josh Oakes joined RateBeer and eventually became editor-in-chief. In June 2001, the web-site consultant Joe Tucker joined, eventually assuming full ownership of RateBeer.
In August 2006, RateBeer's annual press-release of the highest rated beers on the site caused concern when various world media reported that supplies of Westvleteren 12 were sold out due to being listed as the "Best beer in the world" on the site.
As of January 2013, RateBeer has over 4.5 million ratings of almost 200,000 beers, and claims to be the "most accurate and most-visited source for beer information". based on Alexa.com data The ratings are considered manipulation-proof. It lists almost 200,000 beers from nearly 16,000 breweries.
Other notable beer rating sites
The Oxford Bottled Beer Database was founded in 1992 by Sparks Computer Solutions Ltd, and contains reviews and ratings from site users. The site has ratings from all over the world, though mainly concentrates on Europe. As of March 2012, Oxford lists approximately 3,100 beers.
- The Beer Lover's Rating Guide, Bob Klein, Robert Klein, Workman Pub., 1995, ISBN 1563056828
- "Ale University - Rating Beer". www.merchantduvin.com. Retrieved 2009-11-14.
- Wright, Chris. The Beer Journal - page 107. Lulu.com, 2007, ISBN 1430312467. ISBN 978-1-4303-1246-8. Retrieved 2009-11-19.
- Beer Score Sheet bjcp.com
- Smith, Michael J. (2007). Human interface and the management of information. Springer. p. 145. ISBN 978-3-540-73344-7. Retrieved 2009-11-19.
- "Bringing you the world’s biggest ale and wine festivals – Real Ale Festival". jdwetherspoon.co.uk. Retrieved 2009-11-14.
- http://beeradvocate.com/news/stories_read/637[dead link]
- "A Guide to Rating Beer - News and Features". Ratebeer. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- Sam Calagione,Calagione, Sam (2005). Brewing up a business: adventures in entrepreneurship from the founder of Dogfish Head Craft Brewery. John Wiley and Sons. p. 106. ISBN 978-0-471-70868-1. Retrieved 2009-11-19.
- "Top Sites in Recreation / Food / Drink / Beer". Alexa. Retrieved 2012-12-05.
- Bryson, Lew (2010). Pennsylvania Breweries. Stackpole Books. p. 333. Retrieved 22 April 2011.
- Joe Kraynak. Que's Official Internet Yellow Pages. Que Publishing, 2005. p. 86. Retrieved 2011-02-19.
- "Respect Beer". BeerAdvocate. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- Drew Beechum. The Everything Homebrewing Book: All You Need to Brew the Best Beer at Home!. Everything Books, 2009. p. 279. Retrieved 22 April 2011.
- "Beer Ratings & Reviews". BeerAdvocate. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- "Who's on BA? - BeerAdvocate". beeradvocate.com. Retrieved 2011-07-29.
- http://www.ibabuzz.com/beer/2005/08/03/best-beer-in-the-world-ratebeer-says-yes/[dead link]
- http://members.allstream.net/~jdoakes/[dead link]
- "RateBeer Beer - About US". ratebeer.com. Retrieved 2009-11-14.
- Cook, Chuck (AUG/SEP 2005). "Westvleteren : Is The Beer All Gone?". Archived from the original on 2006-02-07.
- Castle, Stephen (2005-08-10). "Monks who make world's best beer pray for quiet life". The Independent (London). Archived from the original on 6 June 2010. Retrieved 2010-04-26.
- Leanne Logan, Geert Cole, Logan, Leanne; Cole, Geert (2007). Belgium and Luxembourg - Lonely Planet guidebooks. Lonely Planet. p. 47. ISBN 1741042372. Retrieved 2009-11-19.
- "RateBeer Best 2013 — AWARD RESULTS". RateBeer.com. Retrieved 2012-12-05.
- "RateBeer Beer - About US". Ratebeer.com. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- "Top Sites by Category: Top". Alexa. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- "Manipulation of the Crowd: How Trustworthy Are Online Ratings?:". Scientific American. Retrieved 2010-08-02.
- "Oxford Bottled Beer Database « UKWinesOnline". www.ukwinesonline.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-02-19.
- "Oxford Bottle Beer Database - bottledbeer.co.uk - PageInsider.com". www.pageinsider.com. Retrieved 2011-02-19.