Beer in Croatia
Beer is a popular beverage in Croatia. In 2010 Croatia was the 14th country in the world by beer consumption per capita. Approximately one half of the adult population are beer consumers.
During the antiquity and the Middle Ages, beer in Croatia received only sporadic mention in historical sources. Its popularity rose in the 18th century, and industrial-scale production began only in the late 19th century. In the modern era, brewing has gained significant economical importance, generating a total of 2.4 billion HRK (c. €320 million) of revenue in 2007.
Beer production and consumption
More than 90% of all beer sold in Croatia is domestically produced. There are many types and brands of beer in Croatia, although more than 90% of revenue is shared between six largest beer companies. Most popular beer is Ožujsko and the second most popular is Karlovačko.
Osječko is the first Croatian beer ever produced, and has been produced since 1697. The main factory is located in Osijek, from which the beer got its name.
Karlovačko is the second most popular beer in Croatia. It is also the national beer. This is due to the rapid marketing of the product after it was released. The factory is located in the city of Karlovac, which is where it gets its name.
Tomislav is the second strongest beer in Croatia, with a 7.3% alcohol content (The strongest is Grička Vještica with 7.5%).It's brewed by Zagrebačka pivovara like Ožujsko brands
Velebitsko is a popular beer brand from Croatia, brewed near Gospić on the Velebit mountains in Lika by the Pivovara Ličanka. The name is used for the pale lager which has an alcohol content of 5.1% and for the dark lager which has an alcohol content of 6.0%.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Beers of Croatia.|
- Skenderović, Robert (2002). "Kako je pivo došlo u Hrvatsku". Hrvatska revija (in Croatian) II (3). ISSN 1330-2493. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- Zagrebačka pivovara do 1945.
- Pravilnik o pivu
- Regionalni pivarski portal
- Zakon o hrani
- U Hrvatskoj se voli piti pivo
- Radleri po popularnosti odmah iza lagera
- Od 18 malih proizvođača piva preživjela tri, a uspio samo jedan
- Kirin Institute of Food and Lifestyle Report Vol. 33
- U Hrvatskoj se proizvede 4 mil. hektolitara piva godišnje
- Od 2001. do 2005. udvostručena proizvodnja bezalkoholnih piva