Sunshine Coast, Queensland
|Population||600 (2011 census)|
|LGA(s)||Sunshine Coast Region|
|State electorate(s)||Glass House|
In 1916, Beerburrum was chosen to be a soldier settlement with over 550 farms allocated, making it the largest soldier settlement in Queensland. The expectation was that hilly land would be suitable for growing pineapples and other fruits. However, by 1929, it was generally acknowledged that the scheme had failed (like many others), due to the farms being too small to be economically viable and there were shortages of skills, capital and markets.
The village was bypassed by the Bruce Highway in the early 1970s, and that road was itself superseded by the current alignment in 1985. At the 2006 census, Beerburrum had a population of 287. At the 2011 census, Beerburrum had a population of 600.
Beerburrum has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Beerburrum". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- "Beerburrum (entry 2083)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- "Beerburrum (entry 47159)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- "Beerburrum". Queensland Places. Centre for the Government of Queensland, University of Queensland. Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Premier Postal Auctions. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Opening and closing dates of Queensland Schools". Queensland Government. Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Beerburrum (L) (Urban Centre/Locality)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 22 June 2011.
- "Anzac Avenue Memorial Trees (entry 30101)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 2013-07-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Beerburrum, Queensland.|
- "Beerburrum". Queensland Places. Centre for the Government of Queensland, University of Queensland.
- Beerburrum cemetery
|This article about the geography of the Sunshine Coast, Queensland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|