Before I Die
|Before I Die|
|Genre||Young Adult Novel|
|Publisher||David Fickling Books|
|Media type||Print (Hardcover)|
Tessa is diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Despite her four-year devotion to chemotherapy, she has discovered that her cancer is terminal and her doctors don't give her very long to live. Tessa, with the help of her best friend Zoey, comes up with a list of things she wants to do before she dies, including some risky behaviors that she deems necessary to have "lived". Zoey is excited and supportive of the outrageous bucket list until an unplanned pregnancy test comes up positive.
Tessa's parents are divorced and have very different views on her desire to experience the dangerous side of life before she passes. Her mother is loving and joking about the situation and seems supportive whereas her father is timid and just wants to spend time with his daughter. Tessa's dad is resistant to Tessa's behavior from the start but realizes he has little influence and can only enjoy the time they have left. Her father's main mechanism for coping is denial. She mentions that he spends hours on the computer looking up possible treatments for her even after the doctors have told her that the cancer has consumed her body.
Tessa's brother, Cal, is a brutally honest individual that has mixed feelings throughout the novel ranging from lack of care to jealousy to sadness. In the beginning of the novel, Cal says to his sister "I'm gonna miss you" during a joking situation.
One of Tessa's last wishes is to find love, of which she thinks she has with her neighbour Adam. Adam is shy, and his main priority is taking care of his sickly mother after his father died.
The book, written in first person from Tessa's point of view, follows her last few months of life, explores her relationships with her loved ones, and her personal feelings about being trapped in a failing body. At the end of the novel, Tessa passes away.
- Tessa Scott: 16-year-old battling leukemia. Has a bucket list of things she want to do before she dies, and makes Zoey and Adam help.
- Cal Scott: Tessa's 11-year-old younger brother who is stuck in the position of jealousy of his sister's attention and his sadness of her unavoidable death. Even in her last moments Cal makes jokes such as "Bye, Tess. Haunt me if you like. I don't mind."
- Zoey: Tessa's best friend who in the beginning of the novel is her biggest advocate for living on the wild side, until she becomes pregnant. Tessa says to Zoey on occasion "Are you telling me to?", Zoey's answer is always "yes".
- Adam: Tessa's boyfriend and neighbour who spends most of his time attending to his mother, who after the death of his father became depressed. Adam is there when Tessa takes her last breath and is the love of her short life.
- Jake: The boy that Tessa met in the club and was about to lose her virginity to.
- Scott: The father of Zoey's child and good friend of Jake.
- Tessa's Father who is desperate to keep his daughter alive and has come to realize that he does not have a say in her actions and can only hope that she will come to her senses, often stressed out about what Tessa is doing but doesn't know what to do.
- Tessa's Mother who divorced from Tessa's father before Tessa was diagnosed. She has not been present in her treatments and loves but not involved in her life at a deep level.
- Tricia: Tessa's lesbian girlfriend on the side. She only appears once in the novel.
In her last months alive, Tessa participates in illegal activities and activities that are discouraged for young adults. The novel alternates in painting these activities in a positive and negative light. Also during these questionable situations, Downham goes into great detail of everything that is occurring, specifically the sex scenes. The main controversy surrounding the novel is the age at which it is targeted and the appropriateness of the material for that age group.
Awards and nominations
Before I Die was listed for the 2007 Guardian Awards and the 2008 Lancashire Children's Book of the Year. It was nominated for the 2008 Carnegie Medal and the 2008 Booktrust Teenage Prize. Before I Die won the 2008 Branford Boase Award.
The novel has been adapted into a film entitled Now Is Good by the production company Blueprint Pictures, in association with BBC Films and the UK Film Council. The film stars Jeremy Irvine as Adam, Dakota Fanning as Tessa and Kaya Scodelario as Zoey. Filming began on location in London and Brighton in July 2011. Now Is Good was released in September 2012.
- Downham, Jenny (2007). Before I die (1st American ed. ed.). New York: David Fickling Books. ISBN 978-0-385-75158-2.
- Downham, Jenny (2007). Before I die (1st American ed. ed.). New York: David Fickling Books. p. 325. ISBN 978-0-385-75158-2.
- Downham, Jenny (2007). Before I die (1st American ed. ed.). New York: David Fickling Books. p. 68. ISBN 978-0-385-75158-2.
- Schwartz, John Burnham (14 October 2007). "What She Wants". The New York Times. Retrieved 12/01/2011.
- Geier, Thom (1 October 2007). "Before I Die". Entertainment Weekly.
- "Jenny Downham". Retrieved 12/3/2011.
- Dawtrey, Adam (1 August 2011). "Sony picks up 'Now Is Good'". Variety (Reed Business Information). Retrieved 1 August 2011.