Before I Sleep (film)
|Before I Sleep|
|Directed by||Aaron Sharff
|Produced by||Aaron Sharff
|Screenplay by||Aaron Sharff
|Music by||Billy Sharff|
Before I Sleep is a 2013 American drama film co-directed, written and produced by Aaron Sharff and Billy Sharff. The film features David Warner, Tom Sizemore, Bonnie Wright, Cynthia Gibb, Eric Roberts, Eugene Simon, Campbell Scott and Chevy Chase. It was formerly titled Shakespeare's Daughter. The film premiered in competition at the Heartland Film Festival on October 19, 2013.
Eugene Devlin, a once famous, now reclusive poet, searches through his past, looking for redemption and peace.
- David Warner as Eugene Devlin
- Tom Sizemore as Randy
- Cynthia Gibb as Caroline
- Eric Roberts as David
- Chevy Chase as Gravedigger
- Bonnie Wright as Phoebe
- Eugene Simon as Young Eugene - aged 20
- Campbell Scott as Young Eugene - aged 48
- Sasha Spielberg as Rachel
- Jamie Bamber as Paul
- James Rebhorn as Priest
- Alice St. Clair as Zooey
- Tanner Flood as Child Eugene
- Clare Foley as Child Phoebe
- George Woodard as Singer
- John Blyth Barrymore as Pianist
- Rusty DeWees as Nurse
- Caley Chase as Geena
- Daniel Edwin Adams as Parishioner
- Eva Schiffman as Little Girl
- Chris Lamica Ho as Second Worker
Aaron and Billy wrote the screenplay for the film in 2011, about an old American poet named Eugene. Talking about the film they said that "(it is) an ensemble film that spans three major different times in Eugene's life." They further talked about the character of Eugene "His wife is dead, his daughter can't stand him, and he doesn't have many friends."
They also chose to shoot scenes at The Frost Place, the museum and former home of late American poet Robert Frost. They explained their reasons for filming at The Frost Place by saying that "The Frost Place was an exciting natural step because our main character is a poet and has many similarities to Frost, there's so much art and creativity in this area."
Talking about the casting Aaron and Billy said that they spend so much time on script that they knew exactly which actor they wanted for the particular role. They explained that "There was a feeling, when we got to casting we just knew who could and couldn't fit this or that role." David Warner was selected to play the role of older Eugene, the directors knew from the start that he was perfect for the role. Billy said about his casting that "David was amazing, to see in the space, among the woods in New England was incredible. Without him we wouldn't have this movie. Maybe he'll finally get knighted for this."
- "HLF: Before I Sleep". Archived from the original on 30 July 2014. Retrieved 30 July 2014.
- "Video: Bonnie Wright in "Before I Sleep" ("Shakespeare's Daughter") film's first look". Retrieved 27 June 2013.
- "First clip of Bonnie Wright in 'Before I Sleep'". Retrieved 27 June 2013.
- "Eugene Simon". Retrieved 27 June 2013.
- "Bonnie Wright". Retrieved 27 June 2013.
- "Shakespeare's Daughter". Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- "2013 Heartland Film Festival Guide". Retrieved 22 October 2013.
- "Filmmaking duo -- local brothers -- work on new project". Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- "Frost Place is backdrop to New England filmmakers’ new project, ‘Shakespeare’s Daughter’". Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- Nicholl, Katie (1 July 2012). "Young Potter stars split as the magic wears off (well they did get engaged after just six months)". Daily Mail (London). Retrieved 27 June 2013.
- "Jamie Barber to Film Shakespeare's Daughter". Retrieved 27 June 2013.
- "@thisisbwright". Retrieved 27 June 2013.
- "Sneak Peek of Eugene Simon and Bonnie Wright in "Before I Sleep"". Retrieved 27 June 2013.
- "Trailer (Before I Sleep - Official Trailer)". Retrieved 17 November 2014.