Begin (video game)
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (May 2009)|
Main game screen
Begin, A Tactical Starship Simulation is a computer game which was released in 1984 and consists of combat between spaceships. It is a tactical starship simulator where the player commands a fleet of ships against an alien force. In the early 1990s, it was followed by Begin 2. Begin 3 for Windows was released in March 2009. In 1996, Michael Feir stated that Begin 2 is "the best and most detailed simulator accessible to the blind." 
The game is set in the Star Trek universe. Players can play as the Federation, Klingon, Romulans or Orion Pirates. Various weapons and functions are included, such as phasers, photon torpedeos and tractor beams. According to PC-SIG, the "computer strategy is quite effective." 
Begin 2 is a tactical starship simulator game set in the Star Trek universe released in 1991. It is the sequel to Begin. The screen is similar to the one in Begin. The main difference is that the sequel featured VGA graphics whereas the original used pure ASCII screen characters (text mode). Extra ships and weapons were added as well. However, each ship is individually represented in the game, and can be individually operated and commanded by the player. Each ship has a unique set of weapons and resources. As with the first game, one of the most notable features of this game is its highly mathematical nature, and its lack of random factors.
- "Mobygames: Begin: A Tactical Starship Simulation". MobyGames. 2008-05-02. Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- "Begin 2: A Tactical Starship Simulation". Home of the Underdogs. 2009-03-21. Archived from the original on 11 July 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- Feir, Michael (July–August 1996). "Replay Value: The Scarce Quantity of Quality". Audyssey Magazine (1). Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- "Disk1692: BEGIN a tactical starship simulation". PC-SIG Library. PC-SIG. 1998. Retrieved 2010-07-19. "The computer strategy is quite effective, the novice captain probably will not win in a one on one confrontation. The starship captain has a great deal responsibility in a battle situation and this simulation will truly test a candidate's ability to command. (FILE1692.TXT)"
History and reference sites
- Begin: A Tactical Starship Simulation Historical article.
- The Starfleet Project Begin 3 Official website
- Begin: A Tactical Starship Simulation at MobyGames
- Begin 2 at Abandonia
|This strategy video game–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|