Behavioral and Brain Sciences
|Behavioral and Brain Sciences|
Abbreviated title (ISO 4)
|Behav. Brain. Sci.|
|Discipline||Life sciences, behavioral sciences, biology, neuroscience, psychology, genetics, psychiatry|
|Edited by||Paul Bloom, Barbara L. Finlay|
Behavioral and Brain Sciences is a peer-reviewed scientific journal of Open Peer Commentary established in 1978 by Stevan Harnad and published by Cambridge University Press. It is modeled on the journal Current Anthropology (which was established in 1959 by the University of Chicago anthropologist, Sol Tax).
The journal publishes "target articles" followed by 10 to 30 or more peer commentaries and the response of the authors of the target article. The journal covers all areas of the biobehavioral and cognitive sciences (psychology, neuroscience, behavioral biology, cognitive science, artificial intelligence, linguistics, philosophy) and articles are judged by four or more referees to be of sufficient importance and interdisciplinary scope to merit Open Peer Commentary. Volume 1 appeared in 1978 and issues appeared quarterly; as its popularity grew it switched to a bimonthly schedule in 1997.
Abstracting and indexing
The journal is abstracted and indexed in Current Contents, Sociological Abstracts, Brain Information Service, Psychological Abstracts, Animal Behaviour Abstracts, Neurosciences Abstracts, Science Citation Index, Social Sciences Citation Index, Excerpta Medica, Current Awareness in Biological Sciences, Current Anthropology, Biological Abstracts, and EMBASE. According to the Journal Citation Reports, the journal has a 2011 impact factor of 25.056, ranking it first out of 48 journals in the category "Behavioral Sciences", 3rd out of 244 journals in the category "Neurosciences", and first out of 14 journals in the category "Psychology, Biological", as well as making it the highest-ranking journal among 2966 indexed journals in the Social Sciences Citation Index.
- Inaugural editorial
- Valedictory editorial
- Behavioral and Brain Sciences home page, retrieved 2008-09-07
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Behavioral Sciences". 2011 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2013.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Neurociences". 2011 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2013.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Psychology, Biological". 2011 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Social Sciences ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2013.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact". 2011 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Social Sciences ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2013.