|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014)|
|Full name||Behrang Safari|
|Date of birth||9 February 1985|
|Place of birth||Tehran, Iran|
|Height||1.84 m (6 ft 1⁄2 in)|
|Playing position||Left back
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 15 February 2014, 24:00 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Behrang Safari (Persian: بهرنگ صفری [behræŋɡ sæfæriː]; born 9 February 1985) is a Swedish-Iranian footballer who plays as a defender for FC Basel in the Swiss Super League and the Swedish national team.
Safari came through the ranks at Malmö FF and played his first game in the Allsvenskan in July 2004 when he came on as a substitute. He won the Allsvenskan in his first season and became a first-team regular the following season.
On 15 June 2008, Malmö announced that Safari has been sold to FC Basel in Switzerland. This was confirmed one day later by FCB Online. He made his Basel debut on 23 July 2008 in a 1–0 win over Grasshopper Club Zürich at St. Jakob-Park. He played his first European game in a Basel shirt on 30 July 2008 in a 1–1 Champions League Qualifying match draw against IFK Göteborg at Ullevi. He scored his first goal for Basel in the 4–0 home win against BSC Young Boys on 7 February 2010. Safari won the double with Basel in 2010 and the Swiss national championship again in 2011. He played 94 league games for Basel during his three-year contract.
On 30 May 2011, Behrang signed a contract for the Belgian club Anderlecht. He had his debut for Anderlecht on 29 July 2011 in the 2–1 away defeat against Oud-Heverlee Leuven. He played his first European game for the team in the Europa League qualifying away win against Bursaspor in the Bursa Atatürk Stadium on 18 August 2011. He won the league in his first season with Anderlecht.
Return to Basel
Safari was called up to the Swedish national team for their friendly match tour in January 2008. He played in all of the matches, which were a 1–0 win over Costa Rica, a 2–0 defeat to the United States, and a 0–0 draw with Turkey. During his debut game against Costa Rica, Safari set up the only goal of the game with a cross to Samuel Holmén, who volleyed the ball into the back of the net.
Honours and titles
- Swiss Super League champion (3): 2010, 2011, 2013–14
- Swiss Cup (1): 2010
- Swiss Cup runner up (1): 2013–14
- "Swedish Iranians Fan Thread". PersianFootball.com. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "Behrang Safari lämnar Malmö FF". Retrieved 15 June 2008.[dead link]
- "FCB verpflichtet mit Gelabert und Safari zwei neue Spieler". FC Basel 1893. 2008. Retrieved 16 November 2010. (German)
- "Bursaspor Anderlecht lineups". uefa.com. 2011. Retrieved 18 August 2011.
- "Behrang Safari om landslagsplatsen och ryktena". svenskafans.com. Archived from the original on 30 December 2007. Retrieved 28 December 2007.
- "Guidetti ruled out of Hamrén's Sweden squad". UEFA.com. 14 May 2012.