Safari warming up for Basel in 2011
|Full name||Behrang Safari|
|Date of birth||9 February 1985|
|Place of birth||Tehran, Iran|
|Height||1.84 m (6 ft 1⁄2 in)|
|Playing position||Left back
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 2 May 2015, 24:00 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Safari came through the ranks at Malmö FF and played his first game in the Allsvenskan in July 2004 when he came on as a substitute. He made his UEFA debut in the 2004 UEFA Intertoto Cup on 19 June 2004 against Cork City F.C.. He won the Allsvenskan in his first season and became a first-team regular the following season.
On 15 June 2008, Malmö announced that Safari had been sold to FC Basel in Switzerland. This was confirmed one day later by FCB Online. He made his Basel debut on 23 July 2008 in a 1–0 win over Grasshopper Club Zürich at St. Jakob-Park. He played his first European game in a Basel shirt on 30 July 2008 in a 1–1 Champions League qualifying match draw against IFK Göteborg at Ullevi. He scored his first goal for Basel in the 4–0 home win against BSC Young Boys on 7 February 2010. Safari won the double with Basel in 2010 and the Swiss national championship again in 2011. He played 94 league games for Basel during his three-year contract.
On 30 May 2011, Behrang signed a contract for the Belgian club Anderlecht. He had his debut for Anderlecht on 29 July 2011 in the 2–1 away defeat against Oud-Heverlee Leuven. He played his first European game for the team in the Europa League qualifying away win against Bursaspor in the Bursa Atatürk Stadium on 18 August 2011. He won the league in his first season with Anderlecht.
Return to Basel
After Safari's return to Basel, he featured in their 2013-14 Champions League campaign. At the end of the 2013–14 Super League season Safari won his third league championship with Basel. They also reached the final of the 2013–14 Swiss Cup, but were beaten 2–0 by Zürich after extra time. During the 2013–14 Champions League season Basel reached the group stage and finished the group in third position. Thus they qualified for Europa League knockout phase and here they advanced as far as the quarter-finals.
Safari was called up to the Swedish national team for their friendly match tour in January 2008. He played in all of the matches, which were a 1–0 win over Costa Rica, a 2–0 defeat to the United States, and a 0–0 draw with Turkey. During his debut game against Costa Rica, Safari set up the only goal of the game with a cross to Samuel Holmén, who volleyed the ball into the back of the net.
- R.S.C. Anderlecht
- "Swedish Iranians Fan Thread". PersianFootball.com. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "Behrang Safari lämnar Malmö FF". Retrieved 15 June 2008.[dead link]
- "FCB verpflichtet mit Gelabert und Safari zwei neue Spieler" (in German). FC Basel 1893. 2008. Retrieved 16 November 2010.
- "Basel snatch Swiss title from Young Boys". UEFA.com (UEFA). 2010-05-16. Retrieved 2010-05-18.
- "Bursaspor Anderlecht lineups". uefa.com. 2011. Retrieved 18 August 2011.
- Grossenbacher, Sacha (2014). "Fotos vom Spiel gegen Lausanne sowie den anschliessenden Feierlichkeiten" (in German). FC Basel 1893. Retrieved 2014-05-18.
- "Behrang Safari om landslagsplatsen och ryktena". svenskafans.com. Archived from the original on 30 December 2007. Retrieved 28 December 2007.
- "Guidetti ruled out of Hamrén's Sweden squad". UEFA.com. 14 May 2012.