Beijing University of Technology
|Beijing University of Technology|
Seal of Beijing University of Technology
Motto in English
|Taking persistence in pursuit as the substance, taking innovation everyday as the way|
|Established||October 15, 1960|
Beijing University of Technology (simplified Chinese: 北京工业大学; traditional Chinese: 北京工業大學; pinyin: Běijīng Gōngyè Dàxué), also called Beijing Polytechnic University or Bei Gong Da (北工大), is recognized as one of the Project 211 universities. The University has established a multidisplinary academic structure, offering a variety of programs and is involved in diversified research in the fields of Science, Engineering, Economics, Management, Liberal Arts, and Law.
Beijing University of Technology was founded in 1960 with five engineering departments. The first group of students was transferred from Beijing Institute of Technology and Beijing Normal University.
In 1981, Beijing University of Technology formed the graduate school, in 1985, the school started granting the Doctoral degrees with international standard.
In 1990, Beijing Tech acquired the College of Economics and Management from Beijing Union University, and later in 1993, Beijing Computer Institute became College of Computer Science as part of the university. In 1993, Beijing Tech formed the Experimental College by cooperating with local business, which later became an independent college. Over the decades, the social science's played a significant role therein. Especially, the achievements of faculties in facet of Economics,Law and other social sciences have indicated that this university has been changed into a de facto comprehensive university with wide variety of schools and colleges thoroughly. The most achievements is mainly focused on the engineering research and education.
Beijing Tech is a key university under the jurisdiction of the Beijing Municipal Government. It has the following colleges (faculties):
- College of Applied Mathematical and Physical Science
- College of Architecture and Urban Planning
- College of Architecture Engineering
- College of Arts
- College of Economics and Management(Including: Faculty of Law)
- College of Computer Science
- College of Continuing Education
- College of Electronic Information and Control Engineering
- College of Energy and Environmental Engineering
- College of Foreign Languages
- College of Humanities and Social Science
- College of Life Science and Bioengineering
- College of Mechanical Engineering and Applied Electronics Technology
- College of Materials Science and Engineering
- College of Software Engineering
- Institute of Laser Engineering(National Center of Laser Technology)
- Didan College (Independent College)
- Experimental College (Independent College)
- Division of Physical Education
Beijing University of Technology is located in the southeastern Beijing. The campus covers an area of about 800,000 square metres with 4,940,000 square meters of floor space.
Beijing Tech's main library is a modern complex occupying a floor area of more than 20,000 square meters. The library houses about 700,000 printed materials, 60,000 e-books, more than 40 kinds of database resources, forming a documentation resource system which meets the demands of teaching and research. The library also cooperates with the Capital Library of Beijing and the Information Center of the Chinese Academy of Science, providing professional services to the student and faculty.
Since Beijing Tech has been selected to host the Badminton competitions of the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, the new athletic building will be finished by June 2006, to meet the requirements of the International Olympic Committee.
The University upholds the principle that its purpose is to provide a stable and smooth process of undergraduate education. The premise for such education is that the supply of educated and trained personnel is fundamental to the success of China's future development and growth. The university believes that the quality of its teaching is the key to its success as a university. It strives to improve this quality by teaching reform, strengthened teaching development and strict management of the teaching programs.The university has developed an undergraduate education system with three main categories: science, engineering and management At present, there are 6811 undergraduate students studying 26 disciplines in 16 departments of the university.
Graduate and Professional Programs
The graduate education or studies programs of the university are matched to the needs of the economic construction and social development programs of Beijing and China as a whole. It aims at improve educational quality, consistently optimize and develop the scale, quality, efficiency and structure of graduate education. The graduate studies school is the department in which both the graduate studies and scientific research programs are undertaken. As the world enters a new century, Beijing Tech follows the guidelines of â?œhumanismâ? and promote quality service and administration for the students.
The School of Higher Professional Education, founded in July 1996, has a staff of more than 120. Of the staff, 5 are professors and 29 are associate professors. The four departments are: Basic course, Information Technology, Engineering Technology, Economics & Management. The disciplines include: e-business, computer science and application, internet and office automation, information and telecommunication engineering, telecom and network engineering, information and applied software, financial accounting, environmental engineering, architectural technology, and concise chemistry. The School has established laboratories and an intern training base for higher professional education, and built cooperative education programs with Japan, Russia, etc. There are presently more than 1300 students enrolled in the School.
There are more than 20,000 students enrolled in Beijing Tech of whom over 12,000 are undergraduate students, almost 6,000 are master's degree students, over 2000 are doctoral degree students, and 500 are international students. In addition to these students, there are over 10,000 continuing education students.
- Xiaodong Zhang - Robert M. Critchfield Professor in Engineering and Chairman of Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the Ohio State University 
- Chen Tong - Vice President and Chief Editor, SINA.com
- Dong Lu - Vice Chief Editor, Sports Youth Weekly
- Bau Fen- CEO, East Gate Export
- Wang Chao - Vice Chairman, China Computer World Publishing & Servicing Co. Chief Editor of IT CEO & CIO China
- Wang Longbin - Chairman of Beijing Xinhao
- Wu Ying - President of UTStarcom
- Yang Shaofeng - Chairman, LT Technology Corporation
- Zhang Rongming - Vice Chairwoman, Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference
- Zhou Zhixiong - Chairman, Softbank Asia Infrastructure Fund
- Zhu Weisha - President and CEO, Yuxing Electronic and Technology Co.
- "学校简介". Beijing University of Technology. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- "Message from Leadership". Beijing University of Technology. Retrieved June 24, 2014.