Exterior of arena
|Former names||Wukesong Culture & Sports Center (2008-2011)|
|Broke ground||29 March 2005|
|Opened||11 January 2008|
|Closed||October 2008 - November 2009|
|Owner||Bloomage International Investment Group|
|Operator||Beijing Wukesong Arena Management Co. Ltd|
|Chinese Olympic Committee
2008 Summer Olympics
The MasterCard Center (simplified Chinese: 万事达中心; traditional Chinese: 萬事達中心), formerly Beijing Wukesong Culture & Sports Center (simplified Chinese: 五棵松体育馆; traditional Chinese: 五棵松體育館), is an indoor arena for the 2008 Summer Olympics basketball preliminaries and finals. Ground was broken on 29 March 2005 and construction was completed on 11 January 2008. The stadium has a capacity of 18,000 and covers an area of 63,000 square metres. It was scaled back from its original design due to a 43% budget cut.
The stadium was constructed by "Beijing Wukesong Cultural & Sports Co. Ltd." whose five shareholders are Zhongguancun CENCONS Group, Haidian State-owned Assets Investment Co. Ltd, Beijing Urban Construction Group Co. Ltd, Beijing Urban Construction Co. Ltd and the Tianhong Group. After the Olympic Games, the center become an important part of Beijing's Olympic Games heritage, allowing citizens to enjoy cultural, sports, leisure, recreational and commercial activities. It was a large-scale comprehensive project rare in Beijing in integrating cultural, sporting functions and commercial purposes with large-scale gardens and green space.
On 6 January 2011 MasterCard Worldwide, the rival of Olympic sponsor Visa, announced the acquisition of the naming rights to the Center. It was renamed MasterCard Center effective from 21 January 2011.
The Wukesong Baseball Field (simplified Chinese: 五棵松棒球场; traditional Chinese: 五棵松棒球場; pinyin: Wǔkēsōng Bàngqiúchǎng) was a baseball stadium located next to the Wukesong Indoor Stadium at the Wukesong Culture and Sports Centre in Beijing, China. It was one of the nine temporary venues at the 2008 Summer Olympics. It hosted baseball events.
The baseball field had a total land surface of 12,000 square metres and a capacity of 15,000. It included two competition fields and one training field.
In what was to be the final Olympic Baseball matches in the foreseeable future, as the International Olympic Committee voted-out the baseball event for the upcoming 2012 London Olympics and 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics in favor of golf and rugby sevens, Team USA clenched the bronze medal, while South Korea beat Cuba to claim the gold medal.
- Main building: construction materials, ventilation equipment, electrical equipment, water supply and drainage etc.
- Sports field: special wooden sports flooring
- Accessory equipment: stands seats, stand protection and lifting system, illumination, electronic displays, communication and broadcasting equipment, fire fighting equipment etc.
- An Information Age building: network system equipment, network technical equipment, network solutions, security system, database technologies and products.
- An Intelligent building: acoustical equipment, air conditioning, elevators, electronic monitoring, electronic fire-fighting systems, etc.
- Outdoor engineering: garden, afforestation and square tiles etc.
- Project Venue: The project is located at the intersection of the extended section of Chang'an Street and the West 4th Ring, adjacent to Wukesong Station on metro Line 1.
- Construction Scale: The planned construction area is about 350,000 square meters.
- Construction Schedule: Construction began in March 2005. The baseball field started in second half of the year 2005, completed in May 2007 and the stadium completed in August 2007.
- 23 October 2009: I Am... World Tour - Beyonce
- 23 January 2010: 2nd Asia Tour - "Super Show 2" - The Boy band South Korean Super Junior
- 14 February 2012: Black Star Tour - Avril Lavigne
- 12 March 2012: Charm School World Tour - Roxette
- 7 July 2012: 2012 Shinhwa Grand Tour in China: The Return - the comeback concert of South Korean boy band Shinhwa, after a four-year hitus due to mandatory military service.
- 25 November 2012: 40th Anniversary of the Rocket Man Tour - Elton John
- 8 August 2012: Big Bang Alive Galaxy Tour 2012 - BIGBANG
- 25 May 2013: In a World Like This Tour - Backstreet Boys
- 20 July 2013: 2013 Shinhwa Grand Tour in Beijing: The Classic - Shinhwa
- 6 March 2014: Avril Lavigne On Tour - Avril Lavigne
- "Castro blasts Olympics for dropping baseball - Beijing Olympics - NBCNews.com". MSNBC. 16 July 2008.
- "Photos: ROK glitters on diamond - The Official Website of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games". En.beijing2008.cn.
- Demick, Barbara (22 February 2009). "Beijing's Olympic building boom becomes a bust". Los Angeles Times.
- "Chinadaily". Chinadaily.
- Kang, Seung-hun (26 January 2010). "Super Junior wraps up concert in Beijing". Asiae. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- "2012 Shinhwa Grand Tour: The Return 신화 아시아 투어 콘서트 일정" Shinhwa Company. 10 April 2012. Retrieved 2012-04-13 (Korean)
- "神话备战北京演唱会 娱乐综艺“让道”". Sina (in Chinese). 4 June 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2013.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (22 July 2013). "Shinhwa Burns Up the Night in Beijing and Wraps Up Asia Tour". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 25 July 2013.