|Princess of Thailand|
24 November 1925|
Grand Palace, Bangkok, Siam
|Died||27 July 2011
Siriraj Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand
|Burial||12 April 2012
Royal Cemetery, Wat Ratchabophit, Bangkok, Thailand
Bejaratana Rajasuda (Thai: เพชรรัตนราชสุดา; Thai pronunciation: [pʰêttɕʰarát râːttɕʰasùdāː]; RTGS: Phetcharat Ratchasuda, 24 November 1925 – 27 July 2011) was the only child of the King Vajiravudh of Thailand. She was a first cousin of King Bhumibol Adulyadej and third cousin of King Norodom Sihanouk of Cambodia.
Princess Bejaratana was born on 24 November 1925 in the Royal Grand Palace, Bangkok, the only child of King Vajiravudh (Rama VI) and Princess Suvadhana. After having seen his daughter one time, the King died the following day. Her uncle, who became King Prajadhipok (Rama VII), performed the naming ceremony for the princess on 30 December.
Princess Bejaratana and her mother moved to Suan Hongsa Villa in Dusit Palace, where she received her education from a private tutor. They moved in with Queen Sri Savarindira (the Queen Dowager) during World War II, and the princess attended Rajani School until she was 12. She and her mother then moved to England, where she continued her education and took medication for her poor health. She first stayed at Fairhill Villa in Surrey, before settling in Brighton.
In November 1957, Princess Bejaratana returned f to Thailand. They bought land on Sukhumvit Road Soi 38, and build Ruenruedi Villa Palace. The princess proceeded to undertake her duties of representing the Royal Family. Her special interests were in education, public health, Buddhism, the soldiers and police stationed at Thailand's borders, and general public's welfare.
Princess Bejaratana was known privately to be very gifted, especially with numbers. She could calculate the day of the week for any dates presented to her without any hesitation, and remembered the birthdays of all individuals who were presented to her.
Near the end of her life she had cut down on her Royal duties because of her age, but occasionally still did work relating to her royal father.
Titles and styles
Princess Bejaratana of Thailand
|Reference style||Her Royal Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Royal Highness|
- 30 December 1925 – 10 July 1935 : Her Royal Highness Princess Bejaratana Rajasuda.
- 10 July 1935 – 27 July 2011 : Her Royal Highness Princess Bejaratana Rajasuda, the Princess Cousin.
The Princess's style and title in full: Somdet Phrachao Bhakhinithoe Chaofa Bejaratana Rajasuda Sirisobhabannavadi (Thai: สมเด็จพระเจ้าภคินีเธอ เจ้าฟ้าเพชรรัตนราชสุดา สิริโสภาพัณณวดี) The word "Bhakhini" (Thai: ภคินี) is meaning Cousin.
Thai Royal Decorations
- The Most Illustrious Order of the Royal House of Chakri
- Dame Grand Cross (First Class) of The Most Illustrious Order of Chula Chom Klao
- Dame of the Ratana Varabhorn Order of Merit
- Dame Grand Cordon (Special Class) of The Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant
- Dame Grand Cordon (Special Class) of The Most Noble Order of the Crown of Thailand
- Dame Grand Cross (First Class) of The Most Admirable Order of the Direkgunabhorn
- The Order of Symbolic Propitiousness Ramkeerati (Special Class) - Boy Scout Citation Medal
- King Rama VI Royal Cypher Medal (First Class)
- King Rama VII Royal Cypher Medal (First Class)
- King Rama IX Royal Cypher Medal (First Class)
- The Red Cross Commendation Medal
|Ancestors of Bejaratana Rajasuda|
- "พร้อมบรรจุพระสรีรางคารยังเสาวภาประดิษฐาน สุสานหลวงวัดราชบพิธฯ" (Press release) (in Thai). เดลินิวส์. 12 April 2012. Retrieved 16 April 2012. (Thai)
- Princess Bejaratana
- Sokheounpang. Khmer-Siam Royal Family Tree. Retrieved 27 January 2013
- ""ในหลวง-พระราชินี"เสด็จฯพระราชทานเพลิงพระศพ" (Press release) (in Thai). เดลินิวส์. 10 April 2012. Retrieved 16 April 2012. (Thai)
- ""ในหลวง-พระราชินี" เสด็จพระราชทานเพลิงจริง สมเด็จเจ้าฟ้าเพชรรัตนฯ" (Press release) (in Thai). ผู้จัดการออนไลน์. 9 April 2012. Retrieved 16 April 2012. (Thai)
- Bangkok Post:Princess Bejraratana dies, 85
- She was kept in Bhumipol's and Sirikit's freezer until April 2012. Thai Nation Mourns the Death of Princess Bejaratana (28 July 2011)
- บ. บุหงามาศ. "สมเด็จพระเจ้าภคินีเธอ" เจ้าฟ้าเพชรรัตนราชสุดา สิริโสภาพัณณวดี. ในศิลปวัฒนธรรม ปีที่ 33 ฉบับที่ 9 กรกฎาคม 2555. กรุงเทพฯ:มติชน. 2555, หน้า 24 (Thai)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bejaratana Rajasuda.|
- Ancestry.com – HRH Princess Bejraratana Rajasuda
- Bejaratana-Suvadhana Foundation
- Biography and appearance of Princess Bejaratana Rajasuda – Sakulthai Magazine
- Princess Bejaratana Rajasuda of Thailand – Sakulthai Magazine