Belhaven, North Carolina
|Belhaven, North Carolina|
|Nickname(s): "The Beautiful Safe Harbor"|
|Motto: "Seafood, Watersports and Abundant Wildlife"|
Location of Belhaven, North Carolina
|• Total||2.1 sq mi (5.4 km2)|
|• Land||1.6 sq mi (4.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.3 km2)|
|Elevation||0 ft (0 m)|
|• Density||1,062/sq mi (409.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0980929|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.1 square miles (5.4 km2), of which 1.6 square miles (4.1 km2) is land and 0.50 square miles (1.3 km2), or 23.88%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,968 people, 827 households, and 530 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,313.4 people per square mile (506.6/km²). There were 1,015 housing units at an average density of 677.4 per square mile (261.3/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 37.30% White, 60.67% African American, 0.15% Native American, 0.46% Asian, 0.71% from other races, and 0.71% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.69% of the population.
There were 827 households out of which 28.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 38.6% were married couples living together, 22.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.9% were non-families. 32.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.36 and the average family size was 2.99.
In the town the population was spread out with 24.7% under the age of 18, 7.1% from 18 to 24, 25.6% from 25 to 44, 23.6% from 45 to 64, and 19.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 81.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 75.2 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $16,674, and the median income for a family was $23,958. Males had a median income of $23,839 versus $16,741 for females. The per capita income for the town was $11,086. About 32.0% of families and 35.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 41.6% of those under age 18 and 38.3% of those age 65 or over.
- Adam W. O'Neal, Mayor
- Nelson Guy, Mayor Pro Tem
- Steve Carawan, Council Member
- Mac Pigott, Council Member
- Robert Stanley, Council Member
- Howard Moore, Council Member
- Fred Clingenpeel, Chief of Police
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Belhaven town, North Carolina". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 5, 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.