Believe (TV series)
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||1|
|Production company(s)||Bad Robot Productions
Warner Bros. Television
|Distributor||Warner Bros. Television Distribution|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
|Original run||March 10, 2014– present|
Believe is an American science fiction/fantasy/adventure series that is broadcasting as part of the 2013–14 United States network television schedule on NBC as a mid-season entry. The series was created by Golden Globe and Academy Award winner Alfonso Cuarón and Mark Friedman for Bad Robot Productions and Warner Bros. Television. The series aired a special preview at 10:00 pm on March 10, 2014, before premiering in its regular time slot of 9:00 pm Sundays on March 16.
The series follows Bo, a young girl who was born with special abilities that she cannot control, and as they start evolving, the people who are protecting her must turn to an outsider. This leads them to Tate, a wrongfully convicted death-row inmate, whom they break out of prison. Although he is reluctant to take on the role as her protector, the two eventually form a bond that will guide them to helping each other as well as others while staying one step ahead of the evil forces that want the girl.
- Johnny Sequoyah as Bo, a young girl with paranormal abilities.
- Jake McLaughlin as Tate, a wrongly convicted death row inmate who agrees to a job to protect Bo.
- Delroy Lindo as Winter, formerly partnered with Skouras; they had a falling out, and now Winter protects Bo from Skouras and other threats unknown.
- Kyle MacLachlan as Roman Skouras, former partner of Winter and after Bo for reasons unknown.
- Jamie Chung as Channing, an associate of Winter's.
- Arian Moayed as Corey
- Tracy Howe as Sparks
- Katie McClellan as Leeds
- Juri Henley-Cohn as Hayden
- Matthew Rauch as Martin
- Trieste Kelly Dunn as Elizabeth
- Rob Morgan as Joshua
Development and production
The series first appeared as part of NBC's development slate in September 2012. In January 2013, NBC green-lit production of a pilot episode. On May 12, 2013, the series was placed on the network's 2013–14 schedule, where it is expected to debut after the 2014 Winter Olympics.
On July 17, 2013, co-creator and executive producer Mark Friedman departed the series. Cuarón will stay on board as executive producer alongside J. J. Abrams. Friedman was ultimately succeeded by Dave Erickson. A few months later, in December, Erickson also stepped down as executive producer/showrunner and was replaced by Jonas Pate, who was serving as a co-executive producer and series director. Pate will run the day-to-day production of the series along with Hans Tobeason. who serves as "on-set" producer in New York, where filming takes place. To allow a smoother transition for the new showrunners and accommodate script re-writes, production went on hiatus from December 20 to January 6, 2014.
McLaughlin (Tate) was the first regular to be cast in February 2013, followed by Lindo (Winter), Guillory (Moore), Chung (Channing) and 10-year-old newcomer Sequoyah (Bo). MacLachlan was added in March 2013 as was Moayed. In June 2013, Sienna Guillory dropped out of the series. Her role was not recast. Instead, Moore was taken out of the script.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||U.S. viewers
|1||"Pilot"||Alfonso Cuarón||Alfonso Cuarón & Mark Friedman||March 10, 2014||10.56|
|2||"Beginner's Luck"||TBA||TBA||March 16, 2014||TBA|
|3||"Origin"||TBA||TBA||March 23, 2014||TBA|
|4||"Defection"||TBA||TBA||March 30, 2014||TBA|
|Country or region||Channel||Premiere date||Sources|
|United Kingdom||Watch||March 27, 2014|||
- "NBC fall schedule reveals big moves" from Entertainment Weekly (May 12, 2013)
- Rice, Lynette (January 10, 2014). "NBC announces start dates for 'About a Boy,' 'Crisis,' more". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved January 11, 2014.
- "Development Update: Friday, September 21". The Futon Critic. September 21, 2012. Retrieved May 12, 2013.
- "Development Update: Friday, January 25". The Futon Critic. January 25, 2013. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- McConnell, Marisa; O'Connell, Michael (May 12, 2013). "NBC Gives New Drama 'Blacklist' Post-'Voice' Slot on Mondays". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 12, 2013.
- The Deadline Team (July 17, 2013). "Showrunner Mark Friedman Exits NBC's J.J. Abrams Drama 'Believe'". Deadline. Retrieved July 18, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (December 14, 2013). "NBC's Alfonso Cuaron/J.J. Abrams Series 'Believe' Makes Showrunner Change, Goes On Early Hiatus". Deadline. Retrieved December 16, 2013.
- "J.J. Abrams-Alfonso Cuarón NBC Drama Pilot 'Believe' Casts Co-Lead" from Deadline (February 14, 2013)
- "Delroy Lindo to Co-Star in NBC's J.J. Abrams-Alfonso Cuaron Drama 'Believe' (Exclusive)" from The Hollywood Reporter (February 26, 2013)
- "Sienna Guillory, Jamie Chung Join NBC's J.J. Abrams-Alfonso Cuaron's 'Believe' (Exclusive)" from The Hollywood Reporter (February 26, 2013)
- "Exclusive: Kyle MacLachlan Joins NBC's J.J. Abrams-Produced Drama Pilot Believe" from TV Line (March 4, 2013)
- "NBC Pilots 'Holding Patterns', 'Believe' & Rand Ravich Project Add To Casts" from Deadline (March 12, 2013)
- Kondolojy, Amanda (March 11, 2014). "Monday Final TV Ratings: 'The Bachelor' Adjusted Up; No Adjustment for 'Believe', 'Beauty and the Beast' or 'Bones'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- "Believe : Beginner's Luck". Zap2It. Retrieved February 26, 2014.
- "Believe : Origin". Zap2it. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- "Believe : Defection". Zap2it. Retrieved March 12, 2014.
- Jeffrey, Morgan (October 3, 2013). "JJ Abrams, Alfonso Cuarón TV drama 'Believe' to air on Watch in the UK". Digital Spy. Retrieved February 27, 2014.