Belinda Lee in Long Night in 1943 (1960)
15 June 1935|
Budleigh Salterton, Devon, England, UK
|Died||12 March 1961
San Bernardino, California, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Cornel Lucas (1954–1959)|
Belinda Lee (15 June 1935 – 12 March 1961) was an English actress.
Born in Budleigh Salterton, Devon, Lee was signed to a film contract in 1954 by the Rank Studios after being seen performing as a student of the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art. Often cast in demure roles in her early career, she was able to demonstrate her dramatic abilities, however she found more constant employment when she began to play "sexpot" roles. Typecast as one of several "sexy blondes" she was often compared, unfavourably, to the popular Diana Dors. Typical of these roles was a supporting part in the Benny Hill film Who Done It? (1956).
Married to the photographer Cornel Lucas  from 1954 until 1959, it was after their divorce that Lee moved to Italy, where she continued playing voluptuous temptresses in Italian films, yet also found the occasion of credible dramatic performances in Francesco Rosi's immigration drama I Magliari (1959) and Florestano Vancini's intense war story La lunga notte del '43 (1960).
British exhibitors voted her the 10th most popular British film star at the box office in 1957.
In 1958, Italian newspapers reported that Miss Lee had taken an overdose of sleeping pills. Three days later, papal prince Filippo Orsini, who had been linked to her by the papers, was reported to have been hospitalised after slashing his wrists. Police refused to comment on the newspaper reports linking the two romantically. Orsini, whose injuries were light, refused to tell the police why he had done it. Lee said that she had been suffering from insomnia and had taken an overdose by mistake. Both were married to others at the time. The Vatican said that Orsini would lose his title if it were proven that he had attempted suicide (and indeed the pope did remove Orsini and the Orsini family from their hereditary principality).
In 1961, Belinda Lee died in a car accident near San Bernardino, California, on her way to Los Angeles from Las Vegas, where she had been acting in a film. Her ashes are kept at Campo Cestio Cemetery (Cimitero acattolico) in Rome, Italy.
- The Runaway Bus (1954)
- Murder by Proxy (1954)
- Life with The Lyons (1954)
- Meet Mr. Callaghan (1954)
- The Belles of St Trinian's (1954)
- Footsteps in the Fog (1955)
- Man of the moment(1955)
- No Smoking (1955)
- The Feminine Touch (1956)
- The Secret Place (1957)
- Dangerous Exile (1957)
- The Big Money (1958)
- The Magliari (1959)
- Love Now, Pay Later (1959)
- Long Night in 1943 (1960)
- Constantine and the Cross (1961)
- The Story of Joseph and His Brethren (1961)
- Film Index International
- Cornell Lucas
- 'BRITISH ACTORS HEAD FILM POLL: BOX-OFFICE SURVEY', The Manchester Guardian (1901-1959) [Manchester (UK)] 27 Dec 1957: 3.
- "Papal Prince's Title in Jeopardy", (29 January 1958) Independent, Long Beach, California, Access Newspaper Archive
- "British actress dies in desert crash" (14 March 1961) The Bakersfield Californian, Access Newspaper Archive 
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Belinda Lee.|
- Belinda Lee at the Internet Movie Database
- Belinda Lee at Find a Grave
- Belinda Lee at the British Film Institute's Screenonline
- Photographs of Belinda Lee by her Husband & Photographer Cornel Lucas