|District||New Plymouth District|
Bell Block is a town in Taranaki, New Zealand. State Highway 3 runs through it. It is 6 km north-east of the centre of New Plymouth and 1 km from the outer edge of New Plymouth at Waiwhakaiho. Waitara is about 9 km to the north-east. New Plymouth Airport is located immediately to the north-east of Bell Block.
The land was purchased in November 1848 by Dillon Bell from the Puketapu iwi. The initial purchase was 1,500 acres (610 ha) but more land was added subsequently. Disagreements over the sale of the land contributed to the First Taranaki War.
A stockade was built to protect local settlers in 1860. Some of the earthworks continued until 1972 when a hotel was built on the site.
Much of New Plymouth's heavy and medium industry is situated around Bell Block, which led to heavy traffic congestion. Construction of an arterial bypass of the town commenced in late 2006. A previously unknown Māori Pā site was discovered during site investigations and was excavated by archaeologists prior to construction.
Features and attractions
Funding has been approved for a cycleway linking Bell Block to the northern end of New Plymouth's coastal walkway.
Bell Block School and Puketapu School are coeducational full primary (years 1-8) schools with decile rating of 5 and 4, and rolls of 297 and 246, respectively. Bell Block School celebrated the 150th anniversary of education in Bell Block in 2006. The present school dates from 1872. Puketapu School was built in 1980.
- Peter Dowling (editor) (2004), Reed New Zealand Atlas, Reed Books, pp. map 34, ISBN 0-7900-0952-8
- Roger Smith, GeographX (2005), The Geographic Atlas of New Zealand, Robbie Burton, pp. map 85, ISBN 1-877333-20-4
- Quickstats about Bell Block
- Bartle, Rhonda (23 December 2005), Conflict and Protest - The Bell Block - Francis Dillon Bell, Puke Ariki
- Ron Lambert and Gail Henry (2000), Taranaki, An Illustrated History, Auckland, N.Z.: Reed, p. 55, ISBN 0-7900-0727-4
- Construction to start this week on Bell Block: Scoop.co.nz
- NZ Archaeology News
- "Te Kete Ipurangi - Bell Block School". Ministry of Education.
- "Te Kete Ipurangi - Puketapu School, New Plymouth" (about Puketapu School). Ministry of Education.
- "Jubilees & reunions: Bell Block School 150th Reunion" (– Scholar search), Education Gazette New Zealand 84 (6), 11 April 2005[dead link]
- History of the School, Bell Block School
General historical works
- History of Bell Block roads and streets, Bell Block, [N.Z.]: n.p., n.d.
- T.U.C. study on population in Bell Block, New Plymouth, [N.Z.]: Taranaki United Council, c. 1984
Clubs and organisations
- Grayling, William Irwin (1862), The war in Taranaki, during the years 1860-61, New Plymouth, [N.Z.]: C.W. Woon, Herald Office
- Wilberfoss, Peter (2004), Oropuriri, Bell Block, Taranaki: report on the historical context of archaeological site P19/262, Auckland, [N.Z.]: Peter Wilberfoss
New Zealand Wars
- Maori wars: newspaper cuttings, 1858–1864., n.p.: n.p., 1858–1864
- Grayling, William Irwin (1862), The war in Taranaki, during the years 1860–61, New Plymouth, [N.Z.]: C.W. Woon, Herald Office
- Bell Block, Hillsborough, Tarurutangi jubilees, 1856–1959, Bell Block, [N.Z.]: Bell Block School, 1959
- Bell Block, Hillsborough, Tarurutangi, 1856–1979: schools reunion, New Plymouth, [N.Z.]: Masterprint, 1979