||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (March 2013)|
|Born||Michelle Anne Sinclair
May 21, 1981
Biloxi, Mississippi, U.S.
|Height||5 ft 4 in (1.63 m)|
|Weight||127 lb (58 kg; 9.1 st)|
|No. of adult films||316 as actress, 89 as director (per IAFD)|
Michelle Anne Sinclair was born in Biloxi, Mississippi as the second of seven children. The family had German, Scottish, and Cherokee roots. She experienced her first kiss at age 12, got her first tattoo at 13, had her first intercourse at 14, her first anal sex at 16, and her first double anal at 19 for Anabolic Video. Sinclair dropped out of high school and moved out of her parents' house at 15. She also stayed in Utah for a short period of her life. Prior to her pornography career she worked for 7-11, Victoria’s Secret, Sears and Subway.
Her introduction to the adult industry came about when an agent came to Utah to see one of her friends, who introduced him to her. The next day she flew to Los Angeles. Immediately prior to starting her porn career she was dancing in a club in Utah. The pseudonym "Belladonna" came in part from a friend in Utah named Bella; later, an early agent suggested Bella Donna as it means "beautiful woman" in Italian. Her motivation to join the adult industry was mainly financial.
Belladonna got into the adult film industry after she moved to Los Angeles to become a nude model. Her career began in 2000 when she was 18. Her first film was Real Sex Magazine for Bill Whitrock; her male counterpart was Chris Cannon. As the scene involved anal sex she had to perform her first enema, and she was also required to urinate on her co-star. One of her early films featured Sinclair in a rough group sex scene with twelve men, staged in a prison. She has since appeared in over 300 adult films, including titles such as Service Animals 6 & 7, She-Male Domination Nation, Bella Loves Jenna, Back 2 Evil, Weapons of Ass Destruction, and Fashionistas Safado: The Challenge. In 2002 she featured in the multi award-winning BDSM themed Fashionistas; its director John Stagliano described her as "a woman with the most incredible sexual abilities I’ve ever seen." As well as Stagliano she has often been directed by Nacho Vidal, Jules Jordan and Rocco Siffredi. In 2003 she signed a contract with Sineplex, for whom she also directed. She now owns and operates Belladonna Entertainment with her partner and husband, Aiden Kelly. She produces her own movies under the Belladonna Entertainment and Deadly Nightshade Productions labels, exclusively distributed by Evil Angel. Her directorial debut for Evil Angel was Evil Pink in 2003. She has since created and starred in series including Fetish Fanatic, Dark Meat, No Warning, Odd Jobs, Belladonna's Butthole Whores, Foot Soldiers, Girl Train, Manhandled, Fucking Girls, Evil Pink, Cock Happy and My Ass Is Haunted. Her productions are classed as Gonzo pornography.
She has appeared several times in the reality television series Family Business, which focuses on the life of porn director Adam Glasser a.k.a. "Seymore Butts". In 2004 she was one of a number of porn stars photographed by Timothy Greenfield-Sanders for a "coffee table book" on the adult industry, XXX: 30 Porn-Star Portraits; she also appears in the HBO documentary Thinking XXX about the making of the book.
In 2011, she was named by CNBC as one of the 12 most popular stars in porn. CNBC noted that while she had stepped back from acting to pursue directing and producing, she has maintained a loyal fan base, and has been nominated for 42 AVN awards and won 10 in the course of her career.
Media attention from Primetime
Her career in the pornography business was followed for two years by a crew from ABC Television, culminating in a January 2003 interview with Diane Sawyer as part of a Primetime Thursday segment on pornography. At one point in the interview Belladonna broke down in tears, when Sawyer asked her, "You keep describing these awful things that happened to you. Yet, you keep smiling. Why?" Belladonna's smile wavered and her eyes watered up. "It's so I don't start crying," she said. Part of the footage for the segment was an interview with Belladonna's sister, who had moved out to Los Angeles at Belladonna's urging, and who had gotten a job at Red Light District Films. Belladonna's sister revealed on-camera that despite her claims, Belladonna was actually quite depressed, and had recently been hospitalized following a suicide attempt. Another topic discussed in the interview was the fact that Belladonna had contracted chlamydia. The publicity provided by the interview boosted Belladonna's career.
The interview has since been used by a number of anti-pornography groups to support their case that pornography is exploitative of the women who appear in it; nevertheless, Sinclair remains an active performer in the industry. In later interviews, Sinclair claimed that she had never intended to make "anti-porn" statements. In one interview, when she was asked if she was happy how the interview came out, her reply was:
|“||I am not happy about Primetime but I would love to see the whole story air one day so everyone can see how much I had to say that was FOR the porn industry. If you know me you know that I loved shooting!||”|
ABC contacted her once to do a follow-up to the interview; she refused saying, "No thank you. I don't want to be embarrassed again." Several figures in the porn industry objected to her comments on the program.
In August 2007, Sinclair decided to semi-retire from performing with other people over concerns of STDs, specifically herpes. She thought she had contracted herpes in 2002 and was worried the disease had spread; however it was later discovered that it was a skin rash rather than herpes. Regardless, she still decided to semi-retire.
In a 2007 interview with the Salt Lake City Weekly, Sinclair expressed some regret about aspects of her career in pornography, particularly her early notoriety for performing acts and scenes that many other performers regarded as extreme or taboo. Lamenting the lack of guidance from more experienced actresses, Sinclair described an extended period of clinical depression. Sinclair stressed in this same interview, however, that she took responsibility for all her decisions and that she was never forced to perform.
However, according to a 2008 post on Sinclair's blog, she has since come out of retirement, and has filmed a number of hardcore scenes. She appeared in Digital Playground's Pirates II, the sequel to their top-selling DVD, Pirates. She has also appeared in James Gunn's PG Porn.
In June 2010 it was announced that she would be part of the cast of the upcoming horror movie Stripped.
Belladonna was featured on the cover of metalcore band Asking Alexandria's sophomore album titled Reckless & Relentless, where she is seen sitting in a dirty, dark room. She is also later featured in their short film Through Sin + Self Destruction.
In July 2012, she announced via Twitter that she was "no longer interested in having sex on camera" and would be pursuing her other interests.
She was formerly engaged to fellow porn actor Nacho Vidal. On April 11, 2004, she married Aiden Kelly in Las Vegas, Nevada. She has a daughter, Myla Kelly, who was born in January 2005.
Her interests include pilates, yoga, gardening, movies, singing, video games, aquariums, cooking, traveling and outdoor activities.
The AVN Awards are sponsored and presented by the American adult video industry trade magazine AVN (Adult Video News). Belladona has been nominated for 42 AVN Awards, of which she has won 10. In 2011, she was inducted into the AVN Hall of Fame.
|2011||Won||AVN Hall of Fame|
|2009||Won||Best All-Girl 3-Way Sex Scene||Belladonna's Girl Train||Aiden Starr & Kimberly Kane|
|Won||Best Supporting Actress||Pirates II|
|Won||Best All-Girls Couples Sex Scene||Pirates II||Jesse Jane|
|Nominated||Best All-Girls Couples Sex Scene||Belladonna's Fucking Girls 6||Lexi Belle|
|Nominated||Best All-Girl 3-Way Sex Scene||Pirates II||Katsuni & Stoya|
|Nominated||Best Anal Sex Scene||Butthole Whores 2||Steve Holmes|
|Nominated||Best Director (Non-Feature)||Discovering Alexis Texas|
|Nominated||Best Oral Sex Scene||Belladonna's Odd Jobs 3|
|Nominated||Best Threeway Sex Scene||Cock Pigs||Brianna Love & Mr. Pete|
|Nominated||Best Threeway Sex Scene||Pirates II||Sasha Grey & Evan Stone|
|Nominated||Director of the Year|
|Nominated||Female Performer of the Year|
|2008||Won||Best Director (Non-Feature)||Belladonna: Manhandled 2|
|Nominated||Director of the Year (Body of Work)|
|Nominated||Best All-Girl Sex Scene (Video)||Belladonna's Fucking Girls 4||Naomi|
|Nominated||Best Couples Sex Scene (Video)||Belladonna: Manhandled 2||Tony T|
|Nominated||Best Group Sex Scene (Video)||I Dream of Jenna 2||Jenna Jameson, Nikita Denise, Aurora Snow, Cindy Crawford, Alaura Eden, Courtney & T.T. Boy|
|Nominated||Best Oral Sex Scene (Video)||Fashionistas Safado: Berlin|
|Nominated||Best Oral Sex Scene (Video)||I Dream of Jenna 2|
|Nominated||Best Solo Sex Scene||Butthole Whores|
|Nominated||Most Outrageous Sex Scene||Belladonna Fetish Fanatic 5||Claire Adams|
|2007||Won||Best Group Sex Scene (Video)||Fashionistas Safado: The Challenge||Melissa Lauren, Jenna Haze, Gianna Michaels, Sandra Romain, Adrianna Nicole, Flower Tucci, Sasha Grey, Nicole Sheridan, Marie Luv, Caroline Pierce, Lia Baren, Jewell Marceau, Jean Val Jean, Christian XXX, Voodoo, Chris Charming, Erik Everhard, Mr. Pete & Rocco Siffredi|
|Nominated||Best Actress (Video)||Fashionistas Safado: The Challenge|
|Nominated||Director of the Year (Body of Work)|
|Nominated||Best All-Girl Sex Scene (Video)||Belladonna: No Warning||Chloe Dior|
|2005||Nominated||Best All-Girl Sex Scene (Video)||The Connasseur||Catalina|
|Nominated||Best All-Girl Sex Scene (Video)||Bella Loves Jenna||Jenna Jameson|
|Nominated||Best Anal Sex Scene||Bella Loves Jenna||Nacho Vidal|
|2004||Won||Best Sex Scene Coupling (Video)||Back 2 Evil||Nacho Vidal|
|Nominated||Female Performer of the Year|
|Nominated||Best Anal Sex Scene (Video)||Anal Trainer 4||Manuel Ferrara|
|Nominated||Best Oral Sex Scene (Video)||Back 2 Evil||Nacho Vidal|
|Nominated||Best Three-Way Sex Scene (Video)||Latin Amore||Dee & Billy Glide|
|Nominated||Best Three-Way Sex Scene (Video)||New Wave Hookers 7||Tyce Bune & Joel Lawrence|
|Nominated||Best Sex Scene in a Foreign-Shot Production||Rocco: Animal Trainer 10||Daniella, Sara & Nacho Vidal|
|Nominated||Most Outrageous Sex Scene||She-Male Domination Nation||Nacho Vidal & Carol|
|2003||Won||Best Supporting Actress (Film)||The Fashionistas|
|Won||Best Tease Performance||The Fashionistas|
|Won||Best All-Girl Sex Scene (Film)||The Fashionistas||Taylor St. Claire|
|Won||Best Oral Sex Scene (Film)||The Fashionistas||Rocco Siffredi|
|Nominated||Female Performer of the Year|
|Nominated||Best Anal Sex Scene (Video)||Up Your Ass 19||Lexington Steele|
|Nominated||Best Oral Sex Scene (Film)||The Fashionistas||Mark Ashley & Billy Glide|
|2006||Nominated||Best Single Performance (Actress)||Fashionistas Safado: The Challenge|
|2004||Nominated||Best Sex Scene (Couple)||Bella Loves Jenna||Nacho Vidal|
|Nominated||Best Girl-Girl Scene||Bella Loves Jenna||Jenna Jameson|
|2003||Nominated||Female Performer of the Year|
|Nominated||Best Sex Scene (Couple)||Back 2 Evil||Nacho Vidal|
|2002||Won||Performer of the Year (Female)|
|Won||Best Single Performance (Actress)||The Fashionistas|
|Won||Best Girl-Girl Scene||The Fashionistas||Taylor St. Clair|
The Fans of Adult Media and Entertainment Awards (or F.A.M.E) were created in 2006 by Genesis magazine, Adam & Eve Sex Toys, WantedList.com and AVN as a means for the public to vote for their favorites.
|2008||Nominated||Favorite Female Performer|
|2007||Won||Dirtiest Girl in Porn|
|Nominated||Favorite Female Starlet|
|Nominated||Favorite Anal Starlet|
|Nominated||Favorite Adult Actress|
Ninfa Prizes are awarded at the annual Spanish pornographic film festival, the Festival Internacional de Cine Erótico de Barcelona.
|2003||Won||Best Actress||The Fashionistas|
|2009||Won||Director - Body of Work|
- SteveC (2003-09-21). "In Deep with Bella Donna". FoundryMusic. Archived from the original on 2005-04-26. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- Biography for Belladonna[dead link]
- interview #2 (March 2003) at RogReviews.com
- Jason Coleman (June 8, 2007). "A Day With Belladonna (Part 1)". the213.net. Archived from the original on 2007-09-28. Retrieved 2007-07-16.
- Stephen Dark (April 12, 2007). "Sex Machine". Salt Lake City Weekly. Retrieved 2008-12-05.
- Peter, Warren (2012-07-02). "Belladonna: No More Sex on Camera". AVN. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- Exclusive Interview at Freeones on September 11th 2007
- "Interview #1 (January 2002)". Rogreviews.com. Archived from the original on 23 March 2010. Retrieved 2010-04-13.
- Evan (February 2004). "The Essential Belladonna Interview". mrwebreview.com. Archived from the original on 27 May 2008. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- Belladonna QA at Good Vibrations, April 2007
- "BELLADONNA". evilangel.com. Retrieved 2009-04-17.[dead link]
- "BELLADONNA'S TITLES". evilangel.com. Retrieved 2009-04-17.[dead link]
- Morris, Chris, "The Dirty Dozen: Porn's most popular stars" CNBC (January 5, 2011)
- [dead link]
- Roger T. Pipe (March 2003). "Belladonna Interview". rogreviews.com. Archived from the original on 16 July 2007. Retrieved 2007-07-19.
- "The end of an era...". Retrieved 2007-08-28.
- "Belladonna retires from performing". Archived from the original on 28 September 2007. Retrieved 2007-08-29.
- Taormino, Tristan (2007-09-11). "Pucker Up: Danger on the Set: A porn star's early retirement has industry insiders talking STDs". The Village Voice. Archived from the original on 15 September 2007. Retrieved 2007-09-22.
- "Second chances...". Enter Belladonna. 2008-05-14. Retrieved 2010-04-13.
- "Pirates, A Joone Film". Piratesxxx.com. 2010-01-21. Archived from the original on 12 April 2010. Retrieved 2010-04-13.
- "Popular Porn Star Gets 'Stripped' for 'Texas Chainsaw' Producer". Bloody-Disgusting.com. 8 June 2010. Archived from the original on 11 June 2010. Retrieved 9 June 2010.
- "Fallen Blue interview with Asking Alexandria"
- Steve C. (2005-01-02). "Catching Up with Belladonna". Foundry Music. Retrieved 2008-12-25.
- "Belladonna Delivers Girl". AVN. 2005-01-14. Retrieved 2008-12-25.
- Georgina Robinson (2008-03-03). "Porn's dirtiest girl cleans up". Brisbane Times. Archived from the original on 27 December 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-25.
- Jared Rutter (2006-11-22). "2007 AVN Awards Nominations Announced". AVN.com. Archived from the original on 2007-07-05. Retrieved 2007-08-06.
- "2005 AVN Awards Nominations" (PDF). AVN.com. Archived from the original on 2008-02-28. Retrieved 2007-08-08.
- Trent Brown. "AVN Awards Nominations". AVN.com. Archived from the original on 2007-06-08. Retrieved 2007-08-09.
- "2003 AVN Awards Nominations List". AVN.com. Archived from the original on 2002-11-27. Retrieved 2007-10-02.
- "AVN Awards Past Winners". AVN.com. Archived from the original on 2007-09-29. Retrieved 2007-08-08.
- Rutter, Jared (2008-01-12). "2008 AVN Awards Winners Announced". AVN. Archived from the original on 2008-04-04. Retrieved 2007-12-18.
- "Nominations 2009 AVN Adult Movie Awards" (PDF). AVNAwards.com. 2008-11-25. Archived from the original on 3 December 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-26.[dead link]
- David Sullivan (2009-01-11). "2009 AVN Award-Winners Announced". AVN.com. Archived from the original on 23 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-01-11.
- "XRCO". XRCO.com. Archived from the original on 28 September 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-02.
- "FAME Finalist List". thefameawards.com. Archived from the original on 27 July 2007. Retrieved 2007-08-06.
- "FAME Finalists". thefameawards.com. Archived from the original on 28 September 2007. Retrieved 2007-08-30.
- David Sullivan (2008-04-25). "2008 F.A.M.E. Awards Finalists Announced". AVN. Archived from the original on 2008-04-30. Retrieved 2008-04-27.
- "Awards Won". Festival Internacional de Cine Erótico de Barcelona. Archived from the original on 8 October 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-07.
- XBIZ Award Winners, XBIZ, February, 2011
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Belladonna.|