Belle Monappa Hegde
|Belle Monappa Hegde|
Hegde in 2005
|Born||August 18, 1938
(now in Udupi District, Karnataka, India)
|Profession||medical scientist, educationist and author|
Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan
|Notable prizes||Dr. B. C. Roy Award(1999)
Padma Bhushan (2010)
Belle Monappa Hegde often abbreviated as B. M. Hegde is an Indian medical scientist, educationist and author. He is a retired Vice Chancellor of the Manipal University and the head of the Mangalore Chapter of Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan. He has authored several books on medical practice and ethics. He is also the Editor in Chief of the medical journal, Journal of the Science of Healing Outcomes. He was awarded the Dr. B. C. Roy Award in 1999. In 2010 He was honoured with a Padma Bhushan, one of India's highest civilian awards.
Hegde is a medical practitioner and has a M.B.B.S from Madras University, a M.D. from Lucknow University, a FRCP from London University, a FRCPI from Dublin University  as well as a FACC and a FAMS. He has also received training in cardiology from Harvard Medical School under Bernard Lown, a Nobel Laureate.
Hegde is visiting faculty at many universities. He also serves as the Chairman of the Mangalore chapter of Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, and has served as Vice-Chancellor of Manipal University  He has also authored several books in English and Kannada apart from publishing several medical research papers.
- Wisdom of the human body. Gandhi Centre of Science and Human Values of Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan. 2001. pp. 148 pages.
- What Doctors Don't Get to Study in Medical School. Anshan. 2006. pp. 275 pages. ISBN 978-1-904798-84-2.
- Hypertension: Assorted Topics. Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan. 1995. pp. 108 pages.
- "The Heart Manual". UBS Publishers' Distributors. 2000. pp. 157 pages.
- You Can Be Healthy. Macmillan Publishers India Limited. 2004. pp. 208 pages. ISBN 978-1-4039-2233-5.
- How To Maintain Good Health. UBS Publishers' Distributors Pvt. Ltd. ISBN 978-81-7476-069-2.
- Modern Medicine and Ancient Indian Wisdom. Manipal Academy of Higher Education. 2000.
- Holistic Living. Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan. pp. 117 pages. ISBN 978-81-7276-024-3.
- Art Of Public Speaking. Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan. ISBN 978-81-7276-054-0.
- "B.M. Hegde to head Bihar health society". The Hindu. Retrieved 29 April 2012.
- Bureau Hindu Business Line. "Coconut oil, an ideal fat". The Hindu. Retrieved 29 April 2012.
- "PIB Press Release: This Year’s Padma Awards announced". Pib.nic.in. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- "‘People’s doctor’ gets Padma Bhushan". The New Indian Express. 2010-01-26. Retrieved 2010-02-03.
- "Padma Bhushan Award for Veteran Physician, Administrator, Dr B M Hegde". Daijiworld. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- "M'lore: Prof B M Hegde Exhorts Bunt Elders to 'Walk their Talk'". Daijiworld. 2008-02-24. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- "Dr. B. M. Hegde". Mangalorean.com. Retrieved 29 April 2012.
- Bhavan's Kendras Statewise List, retrieved 2011-07-18
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Belle Monappa Hegde.|