Bellevue School District
|Bellevue School District|
|Type and location|
|Grades||Pre-K through 12|
|Superintendent||Dr. Justin (Tim) Mills|
|Students and staff|
|Mission statement||To provide all students with an exemplary college preparatory education so they can succeed in college, career and life.|
Bellevue School District No. 405 (BSD) is a public school district in King County, Washington, United States, that serves the communities of Bellevue, Clyde Hill, Medina, Hunts Point, Yarrow Point, Beaux Arts, and portions of Newcastle, Kirkland, Issaquah, Redmond and unincorporated King County. As of October 1, 2012, the district has an enrollment of 18,351 students.
The Bellevue School District includes 27 schools: 15 elementary schools, 1 Spanish immersion elementary school, 5 regular middle schools, 4 regular high schools and two district-wide choice schools (grades 6-12). The district has a staff of about 2,000 employees, including about 1,100 teachers. 
In 2013, Newsweek magazine named Bellevue, Interlake, International, Newport and Sammamish to its list of "America's Best High Schools".  In 2013, The Washington Post placed Bellevue, Interlake, International, Newport and Sammamish on its list of "America's Most Challenging High Schools".  In 2013, U.S. News & World Report ranked Bellevue, Interlake, International and Newport among its "Best High Schools". 
Students attend an elementary (primary) school from kindergarten to fifth grade. Students attend a middle school from sixth to eighth grade. Students attend a high school from ninth to twelfth grade. Each school, except Choice schools, has a defined geographic attendance area. Students are assigned to a school based on the attendance area in which they reside. With three exceptions, these schools are located in the city of Bellevue. Clyde Hill Elementary and Chinook Middle School are located in the city of Clyde Hill. Medina Elementary School is located in the city of Medina.
- Chinook Middle School
- Highland Middle School
- Odle Middle School
- Tillicum Middle School
- Tyee Middle School
- Ardmore Elementary School 
- Bennett Elementary School 
- Cherry Crest Elementary School 
- Clyde Hill Elementary School 
- Eastgate Elementary School 
- Enatai Elementary School 
- Lake Hills Elementary School 
- Medina Elementary School 
- Newport Heights Elementary School 
- Phantom Lake Elementary School 
- Sherwood Forest Elementary School 
- Somerset Elementary School 
- Spiritridge Elementary School 
- Stevenson Elementary School 
- Woodridge Elementary School 
- Bellevue Big Picture School (6-12) 
- International School (6-12) 
- Puesta del Sol Elementary School (K-5 Spanish immersion)
- Jing Mei Elementary School (K - 3 and up Chinese immersion) 
Over the years, the district closed several schools. In many cases, declining enrollment after the baby boomers graduated led to closure. The district leased some schools to private schools or non-profit organizations. Some properties were transferred to other local governments.
- Ashwood Elementary School is the Bellevue Regional Library and two sports fields.
- Ivanhoe Elementary School is a performing arts center and public park.
- Kelsey Creek Home School Center (1-12) closed in June 2012. 
- Lake Heights Elementary School became a YMCA location. In 2008, it traded sites with Newport Heights Elementary.
- Ringdall Junior High School was Eastside Catholic School and is temporary home of Chinook Middle School.
- Robinswood Middle School and Robinswood High School were closed and replaced by The Big Picture School.
- South Union High School is now Bellevue Downtown Park.
- Surrey Downs School is now a King County District Court location and sports fields.
- Three Points Elementary School, located in Medina, is now an elementary school for Bellevue Christian Schools.
- Wilburton School is now District offices and a City park.
As of October 2012, there were 18,351 students enrolled in the district. The district is 3.2% Black/African American, 32.1% Asian/Pacific Islander, 10.9% Hispanic, 6.6% Multiracial and 47.0% White. 32.1% of students speak a first language other than English; there are over 81 languages spoken in the district. 10.2% of students are ELL (English Language Learners). 8.1% are enrolled in various levels of Special Education. 21.6% of students qualify for free or reduced lunch. Of students who speak a language other than English as their first language, the top spoken are (in order): Spanish, Mandarin, Korean, Cantonese, Russian, Japanese, Vietnamese, Telugu, Hindi, French, Persian and Tamil.
On June 10, 2008, Bellevue teachers voted almost unanimously to go on strike if a new contract could not be reached by the end of the summer. On the evening of September 1, the day before classes would have started, the Bellevue Education Association (BEA) announced the beginning of the strike. On September 14, BEA members agreed to the tentative agreement that school was to begin on September 15. The dispute between the BEA and BSD had three main issues: compensation; benefits; and use of the Curriculum Web, a strictly enforced curriculum for all teachers to follow.
- Bellevue School District: About Us url=http://www.bsd405.org/about-us.aspx
- Newsweek, America's Best High Schools 2013, May 6, 2013. url=http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2013/05/06/america-s-best-high-schools.html
- Washington Post, America's Most Challenging High Schools 2013, April 2013 url=http://apps.washingtonpost.com/highschoolchallenge/
- U.S. News & World Report, "Best High Schools 2013, April 2013 url=http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools
- "Attendance Boundary Maps".
- "Ring My Belle with Rachel Belle".
- Google Maps: Bellevue, WA.
- Crossing the Corridor, 2010-04-21, retrieved 2011-01-22[dead link]
- Crossing the Corridor Part II, 2010-04-24, retrieved 2011-01-22[dead link]
- Ashwood Playfield, retrieved 2011-01-22
- Ivanoe Park, retrieved 2011-01-22
- Newport Heights Construction, archived from the original on 13 December 2010, retrieved 2011-01-22
- Tyee Construction, archived from the original on 13 December 2010, retrieved 2011-01-22
- Surrey Downs Park, retrieved 2011-01-22
- Google Maps: satellite images of Bellevue, WA
- Three Points Elementary, archived from the original on 12 December 2010, retrieved 2011-01-22
- WISC Construction, archived from the original on 13 December 2010, retrieved 2011-01-22
- Wilburton Hill Park url=http://www.ci.bellevue.wa.us/willburton.htm
- "2012-13 DEMOGRAPHICS AT A GLANCE" (pdf). bsd405.org. Retrieved 2012-10-21.
- "Bellevue teachers go on strike". The Seattle Times. 2008-09-01. Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- "BSD Homepage with information on the strike" (pdf). bsd405.org. Archived from the original on 10 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-11.
- President Obama Visits Medina Elementary
- Official website
- Bellevue School District Report Card
- Newsweek listing of top public high schools
- Bellevue Schools Timeline: 1883–Present, from the Eastside Heritage Center