Bellini duct carcinoma
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (March 2009)|
|Duct of Bellini|
|Position of the duct of Bellini in the kidney|
|Gray's||subject #253 1223|
Bellini duct carcinoma (BDC, also known as low-grade collecting duct carcinoma and tubulocystic carcinoma) is a type of kidney cancer that originates in the duct of Bellini of the kidney. It is rare, accounting for 1-3% of all kidney cancers. It is also recently described; a 2002 review found just 40 case reports worldwide. Previously, due to its location, BDC was commonly diagnosed as renal cell carcinoma or a subtype of renal cell carcinoma. However, BDC does not respond well to chemotherapy drugs used for renal cell carcinoma, and progresses and spreads more quickly. One small study reporting 20% survival at 2 years. BDC may be related to urothelial carcinoma aka transitional cell carcinoma, and case reports of treating BDC as for transitional cell carcinoma indicate some benefit.
BDC is extremely rare, and thus hard to study. Currently, very few published works compare histopathological and clinical data. Because of this, there is no standard protocol for its diagnosis and treatment.
This cancer has a distinctive "bubble wrap" appearance. It has been reported to occur together with urothelial carcinoma of the bladder, and a cancer with intermediate histology also has been reported, leading to the suspicion that these cancers are related.
Signs and symptoms
Signs and symptoms are as for kidney cancer.
- Amin MB, MacLennan GT, Gupta R, Grignon D, Paraf F, Vieillefond A, Paner GP, Stovsky M, Young AN, Srigley JR, Cheville JC (March 2009). "Tubulocystic carcinoma of the kidney: clinicopathologic analysis of 31 cases of a distinctive rare subtype of renal cell carcinoma". Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 33 (3): 384–92. doi:10.1097/PAS.0b013e3181872d3f. PMID 19011562.
- Fakhrai N, Haitel A, Balassy C, Zielinski CC, Schmidinger M (January 2005). "Major response and clinical benefit following third-line treatment for Bellini duct carcinoma". Wien. Klin. Wochenschr. 117 (1–2): 63–5. doi:10.1007/s00508-004-0289-4. PMID 15986594.
- Singh I, Nabi G (2002). "Bellini duct carcinoma: review of diagnosis and management". Int Urol Nephrol 34 (1): 91–5. doi:10.1023/A:1021315130481. PMID 12549647.
- Méjean A, Rouprêt M, Larousserie F, Hopirtean V, Thiounn N, Dufour B (April 2003). "Is there a place for radical nephrectomy in the presence of metastatic collecting duct (Bellini) carcinoma?". J. Urol. 169 (4): 1287–90. doi:10.1097/01.ju.0000050221.51509.f5. PMID 12629344.
- Hsiao HL, Yeh HC, Chang TH, Ke HL, Lin HC, Wu WJ, Huang CH, Lee YC (March 2008). "Renal collecting duct carcinoma and concomitant bladder urothelial carcinoma: a case report". Kaohsiung J. Med. Sci. 24 (3): 157–62. doi:10.1016/S1607-551X(08)70144-X. PMID 18364277.
- Okuda H, Tei N, Shimizu K, Imazu T, Yoshimura K, Kiyohara H, Nakamura Y, Fujimura H (October 2008). "[Case report: collecting (Bellini) duct carcinoma during the follow-up for bladder cancer]". Hinyokika Kiyo (in Japanese) 54 (10): 665–8. PMID 19048932.
- Maestroni U, Ferretti S, Dinale F, Froio E, Pilato FP, Ciuffreda M, Mellissari M, Cortellini P (2006). "A renal cancer with intermediate characteristics between collecting (Bellini) duct carcinoma and urothelial carcinoma: case report and review of the literature". Tumori 92 (6): 545–8. PMID 17260499.
- O Natsume, S Ozono, T Futami, and M Ohta (1997). "Bellini duct carcinoma: a case report". Japanese Journal of Clinical Oncology 27 (2): 107–110. doi:10.1093/jjco/27.2.107. PMID 9152800. Retrieved 2008-06-03.