|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2010)|
|Origin||San Francisco, California, USA|
|Associated acts||Bellydance Superstars|
|Website||Bellydance Superstars Official Website|
The line-up of performers has become increasingly diverse throughout the years and the repertoire incorporates elements of many different dance styles including traditional Egyptian bellydance, Turkish bellydance, American Tribal Style and Tribal Fusion. The troupe tours extensively in North America, Europe, and Asia.
The Bellydance Superstars, sometimes called BDSS, first toured in conjunction with the Lollapalooza 2003 music festival. Since then, the troupe has completed several full circuits of the world, infusing new cultural dance styles into the shows along the way.
The Bellydance Superstars have been described as "poised to be the next Riverdance." An academic study also compares the two companies, discussing their transformation of dance tradition into stage spectacle.
In addition to live performances, the Bellydance Superstars company has produced instructional and performance DVDs with every level of learner in mind as well as a series of CDs featuring songs from their performances. Some of the dancers have created compilations of their personal favorites, such as Kami Liddle’s Tribal Beats for the Strange and Beautiful.
The company filmed a feature documentary called American Bellydancer. Several of the shows have been broadcast on national television in the USA, Latin America and Canada. The Bellydance Superstars Live in Paris show aired extensively on US public television station PBS.
- Varble, Bill (2007-07-27). "Shake it 'til you break it". Mail Tribune. Medford: Southern Oregon Media Group. Retrieved 2010-09-03. (quotes The Sunday Times, London.[full citation needed])
- Nicole Drumheller Gargus; Nathan E. Gargus. "Bellydance goes to Bombay". Montgomery News. Retrieved October 25, 2011.
- Bock, Sheila Marie (2005). "From Harem Fantasy to Female Empowerment: Rhetorical Strategies and Dynamics of Style in American Belly Dance" (PDF). Master's Thesis. Ohio State University. pp. 2–4. Retrieved 2010-09-03.
- Official website
- The Times (UK) interview with Miles Copeland about the Bellydance Superstars by Andrew Billen. "My new tool for world domination: Riverdance ...with bare midriffs." (subscription required)
- Dalbard, Agnès (2005-02-20). "Des Américaines, stars de la danse du ventre" [American women, stars of belly dance]. Le Parisien. Retrieved 2010-09-04. (In French.)
|This dance-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|