Belmont Secondary School
Belmont Secondary School Address 3067 Jacklin Road
Langford, British Columbia, British Columbia, V9B 3Y7, Canada
Information School board Sooke School District 62 Religious affiliation None Principal Ray Miller Vice principal
Dick JuhaszPam Joyce
School type Public Secondary Grades 9-12 Language English/French Mascot Bulldog Team name Bulldogs Colours
Founded 1952 (estimated) Enrollment 1500 (2011) Homepage Belmont Homepage
Belmont Secondary School is located in Langford, a western suburb of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. It is one of three secondary schools in School District 62 Sooke. It serves the suburban West Shore area of Colwood, Highlands, Langford, and Metchosin, and the seaside village of Sooke.
The first secondary school in the area was established on the school's current site soon after the Second World War in re-located Army buildings. Several years later two schools were constructed in permanent buildings: Elizabeth Fisher Junior High School and Belmont High School. These were merged in the 1970s into Belmont Fisher High School and a new library was constructed to connect the adjacent buildings.
The Sooke School District is planning replace BSS with two new secondary schools, one in nearby Glen Lake to accommodate 1,000 students and another in Royal Bay for 800 students. In October 2011, the Provincial Government announced the dedication of funding to build the two new high schools, at an anticipated total cost of $100 million.
In December 2012 it was announced that BSS will be replaced with two new grade 9-12 schools, a 1,200-student replacement Belmont Secondary in the Glen Lake area of Langford and a new 800-studet Royal Bay Secondary (RBSS) to be built in Colwood. The new facilities are intended to support a wide range of programs, including expanded students' skills and trades training. Additional programs such as culinary arts and automotive technician are being considered and links to the shipbuilding industry with possible metal fabrication and marine trades training programs are being explored. Both new schools will have Neighbourhood Learning Centres to provide community services. The new schools are expected to open in the Fall of 2015 and the existing BSS facility will then be demolished. In June 2013 construction commenced on the $53.9-million BSS replacement school. In September 2013 construction commenced on the new $40.8-million Royal Bay Secondary.
In addition to a challenging academic program ( including several pre-AP and AP classes), Belmont Secondary offers students the opportunity to participate Academy programs.
- Dance Academy
- Hockey Academy
- Soccer Academy
- Secondary School Apprenticeship
- Camosun College Partnership Programs
Accelerated Credit Enrolment in Industry Training (ACE IT):
- ACE IT/Dual Credit Carpentry Program
- ACE IT Cosmetology Program
- ACE IT/Dual Credit Automotive Service Technician
- ACE IT/Dual Credit Joinery/Cabinetmaking Program
Belmont Senior Secondary offers the following music programs and courses:
Concert Band, Concert Choir, Vocal Jazz, Jazz Band, R & B Band, Beginning and Advanced Guitar, Music Composition and Technology, AP Music Theory, Piano (introduction).
The school offers the following athletic and sports programs:
- Cross Country
- Weight Room
- Dodge Ball
- Track and Field
This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability or notability policies. (September 2011)
- Tyson Barrie - NHL Player, Colorado Avalanche
- Adam Cracknell NHL Player, St. Louis Blues
- Greg Zannon - NHL Player, Colorado Avalanche
- Jennifer Tilly - actress
- Paul Hyde - musician and record producer (noted as a founding member of the bands The Payola$ and Rock and Hyde).
- Bob Rock - musician, sound engineer, and record producer (noted as a founding member of the bands The Payola$ and Rock and Hyde).
- Mike Rowe - noted for establishing www.MikeRoweSoft.com and the ensuing lawsuit with software giant Microsoft.
- Cory Monteith - actor (Glee)
- Ryder Hesjedal- professional cyclist, Garmin-Sharp- winner of the 2012 Giro d'Italia, 6th overall in the 2010 Tour de France
- Kiley Hendricks - (Prevail Wonder) musician, hip hop, Swollen Members, Battle Axe Records
- School District website
- Goldstream News Gazette, 2011-10-31, retrieved online 2012-02-18
- BC Ministry of Education news release, Dec. 18, 2012. Retrieved 2013-01-05
- BC Ministry of Education news release, June 27, 2013. Retrieved 2013-11-07
- New Schools - SD62, October 9, 2013. Retrieved 2013-11-07