Belton High School (Belton, Texas)
|Belton High School|
|600 Lake Road
Belton, TX 76513
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||"Every Kid a Winner"|
|School district||Belton Independent School District|
|Enrollment||2,600 (as of 2013)|
|Color(s)||Red & White|
|Athletics||UIL Class AAAAA|
|Website||Belton High School|
Belton High School (BHS) is a 5A public high school that serves the city of Belton, Texas, parts of Temple and Morgan's Point Resort, and the Belton Independent School District (BISD). BHS is fully accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the Texas Education Agency.
- BHS's population according to the last census is approximately 72% Caucasian, 14% Hispanic 3% African-American, and 1% Asian/Pacific Islander, and Other
- BHS is currently estimated to have about 2,600 students. (2013)
State Athletic Champions
- 1909 State Champion Track & Field Team
- 1958 State Champion Basketball Team
- 1985 State Champion Girls Golf Team
- 1988 State Champion Girls Golf Team
- 1994 State Champion Baseball Team
- 2013 State Champion Individual Golfer, Andrew Paysse
Rivalry with Temple
Belton's rival is the Temple High School Wildcats. This is most visible during the yearly Belton-Temple football game. The cities of Belton and Temple in the past have shared years of animosity towards each other, possibly from the founding of Temple by the Santa Fe Railroad.
This spilled over onto the football field during the 20s & 30s. It was not uncommon for fights to break out between fans in the parking lot after the game. After the 1936 game this almost turned deadly. Several people were taken to the hospital and one was hospitalized with critical injuries. Given that the fights had increased in violence over the last 3 years and commerce between the two cities was starting to suffer a county judge made a decree that the two schools shall not play each other for a minimum of 50 years. The two schools would not meet again on the football field until 1995.
In general the rivalry is friendly in nature today. Custom shirts are usually printed up by both sides to mark the event. Sometimes pranks, small acts of vandalism and general shenanigans occur in the week prior to the game. Most of this is minor in nature and are perpetrated by the students involved in the games.
The first artificially-lighted football game played in the state of Texas was the 1921 Belton-Temple game played at Wildcat Field.
In 2009 the rivalry with Temple was nationally televised on ESPNU at Wildcat Stadium, Tiger were victorious over Temple for the first time since 2005.
- George Eads, television actor
- Robert Ford, football coach
- Toby Rumfield, baseball player
- Booker T. Russell, football player
- Ricky Sanders, football player
- Pat Seals, bassist of Flyleaf
- Ramonce Taylor, football player
- Rudy Youngblood, actor
- Charleston Lewis, athlete
- David Ash, football quarterback