Belvidere High School (Belvidere, Illinois)
|Belvidere High School|
|1500 East Avenue
Belvidere, Illinois, 61008
|School district||Belvidere Community Unit 100|
|Average class size||21.4|
|Slogan||It's the year of the BUCS|
|Song||Notre Dame Victory March|
|Average ACT scores (2011)||19.7|
The school is perhaps most notable for the deaths of 13 students and staff on the afternoon of April 21, 1967 when an F4 tornado struck the school as part of a massive tornado outbreak in the Midwest.It is the sixth worse loss of life at an American school as a result of tornadoes, and the worst since 1955. In 2007 a statue was erected in front of Belvidere High School in memorial of the lives lost in the Belvidere Tornado.
 Historic Figures
In 1969 Belvidere native Judith Anne Ford won the Miss America pageant as Miss Illinois. Ford was a Belvidere High School graduate. She was the first Miss America to go to Vietnam as part of a USO tour.
Belvidere competes in the Northern Illinois Conference (NIC-10), and is a member of the Illinois High School Association (IHSA). Teams are stylized as the Bucs (a shortening of Buccaneers).
BHS Sports: Football, Basketball, Baseball, Tennis, Track & Field, Soccer, Softball, Lacrosse, Volleyball, Swimming, and Cross Country.
Belvidere High School's current biggest rival is Belvidere North High School. Before that school was created, however, Rockford Boylan Prep School was their biggest sports rival.
 Activities & Clubs
BHS Activities/Clubs: Concert Band, Jazz Ensemble, Marching Band, Chorus, Art, Agriculture, Spanish Club, Student Council, DECA, German Club, Theatre Arts, B Club, Recycling Club, Science Olypiad, and Many more.
Belvidere High School's Student Council is a part of the IASC (Illinois Association of Student Councils).
- "Central Office Complex Staff". directory. Belvidere Community Unit School District 100. Retrieved 20 April 2010.
- "Illinois School Report Card: Belvidere High School". Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE). 2009. Retrieved 20 April 2010.
- "Belvidere (H.S.)". Illinois High School Association (IHSA). 1 April 2010. Archived from the original on 4 June 2010. Retrieved 20 April 2010.
- "Buccaneer". Belvidere High School. Retrieved 19 April 2010.
- "The Ten Worst Tornado Related Disasters in Schools". The Tornado Project. 1999. Retrieved 23 December 2009.
- "Season Summaries: Belvidere (H.S.)". Illinois High School Association (IHSA). 28 March 2010. Retrieved 20 April 2010.