Belvidere High School (New Jersey)
|Belvidere High School|
|809 Oxford Street
Belvidere, NJ 07823
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Belvidere School District|
|Principal||Edward J. Lazzara|
|Vice principal||Jason Klebez|
|Faculty||38.2 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||552 (as of 2010-11)|
|Student to teacher ratio||14.45:1|
|Color(s)||Scarlet and white|
|Athletics conference||Skyland Conference|
Belvidere High School is a four-year comprehensive public high school serving students in ninth through twelfth grades from Belvidere, in Warren County, New Jersey, United States, operating as part of the Belvidere School District.
As of the 2010-11 school year, the school had an enrollment of 552 students and 38.2 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 14.45:1. There were 48 students (8.7% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 23 (4.2% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 189th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 328 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2012 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", after being ranked 250th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 250th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 251st in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
The Belvidere High School County Seaters athletic teams (in New Jersey) play in the Valley Division of the Skyland Conference, which operates under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). Sports played include football, baseball, softball, basketball, cross country, swimming, cheerleading, golf, wrestling, field hockey, and soccer.
The girls soccer team won the North II, Group I state sectional championship in 2005 with a 1-0 win over North Arlington High School. The team won the North I, Group I state sectional title in a shootout after overtime ended in a 2-2 tie with Cresskill High School.
Activities and clubs
There are many clubs at Belvidere, including Marching Band, Color Guard, Madrigals, Chorus, S.T.A.N.D, Diversity Club, FFA, Student Government, a science club, a book club, a running club, Scarlet Scoop (school newspaper), HOPE Club, Leo Club, Yearbook Club, National Honor Society, French National Honor Society, and others.
Core members of the school's current administration are:
- Edward J. Lazzara, Principal
- Jason Klebez, Assistant Principal
- Data for Belvidere High, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 8, 2012.
- Belvidere High School 2010 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed March 14, 2011. "Belvidere High School is a small Group I school of approximately 560 students, encompassing grades nine through twelve. Students arrive from the Belvidere K-12 district and three surrounding K-8 districts; Hope, Harmony and White."
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed December 1, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed March 14, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- League Memberships – 2012-2013, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 27, 2012.
- 2005 Girls Soccer - North II, Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 30, 2007.
- Staff. "Cresskill 2, Belvidere 2", The Star-Ledger, November 12, 2010. Accessed September 28, 2011. "Kelsey Barofski blocked two shots in a 3-1 shootout victory as Belvidere beat Cresskill after the teams battled to a 2-2 tie through overtime in the NJSIAA/The Sports Authority Stores North Jersey, Section 1, Group 1 final yesterday in Cresskill."
- Staff Directory, Belvidere High School. Accessed July 19, 2011.
- Belvidere High School
- Belvidere School District
- Belvidere School District's 2010–11 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Belvidere School District, National Center for Education Statistics