Herd playing for Shrewsbury Town in 2008
|Full name||Benjamin Alexander Herd|
|Date of birth||21 June 1985|
|Place of birth||Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, England|
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 09:16, 16 August 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Born in Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, Herd began his career as a trainee at Watford. He signed his first professional contract with the Championship club in March 2003, but was released two years later, having never played a game for the club.
In June 2005, Herd signed for League Two club Shrewsbury Town, following a recommendation from Herd's former Watford manager Ray Lewington. He made his Shrewsbury début on 6 August in a 1–0 defeat at home to Rochdale. He was almost ever-present for Shrewsbury in his first season with the club.
In the 2006–07 season injuries restricted Herd to 31 league appearances. However he was a late inclusion in the Shrewsbury side for the League Two play-off final at Wembley, after Luke Jones picked up an injury in the warm-up. Shrewsbury went on to lose the game 3–1. He signed a fresh two-year contract at the end of the season.
In the 2007–08 season, Herd was again almost ever-present, missing just one league match through suspension.
The 2008–09 season started well for Herd, with the wing back in superb form, but a suspension meant that he was replaced by Darren Moss. Moss maintained a rich vein of form, resulting in Herd playing just five times after mid-November and getting released at the season's end. Herd was very disappointed that his contract would not be renewed, so he posted a goodbye and thank you message to the fans on the blue and amber forum.
After receiving interest from numerous clubs, Herd signed a two-year contract with League Two side Aldershot Town in July 2009, to his great relief. He won Aldershot Town Player of the Season in 2010. The prestigious award was presented to him on 1 May 2010 against Lincoln City. The following season Ben was voted Players' Player of the Season and received the award prior to Aldershot's home match against Rotherham. Herd was released along with many other players at the end of the 2012-13 season as part of Aldershot's requirement to cut expenses after entering administration.
Herd signed for Southern League Premier Division side Dunstable Town in the summer of 2014, following the club's second promotion in a row from the Southern League Division One Central, immediately being handed the captaincy by manager Darren Croft.
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2010). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2010–11. Mainstream Publishing. pp. 195–196. ISBN 978-1-84596-601-0.
- "Watford reward sixtet". BBC Sport. 19 March 2003. Retrieved 10 September 2009.
- "Defender Herd makes Shrews move". BBC Sport. 6 June 2005. Retrieved 10 September 2009.
- "Shrewsbury duo sign new contracts". BBC Sport. 13 July 2007. Retrieved 10 September 2009.
- "Herd hopes to keep starting role". BBC Sport. 24 February 2009. Retrieved 10 September 2009.
- "Seven players released by Shrews". BBC Sport. 25 May 2009. Retrieved 10 September 2009.
- "Herd reveals interest from clubs". BBC Sport. 27 May 2009. Retrieved 10 September 2009.
- "Ben Herd Signs". www.theshots.co.uk. Retrieved 24 July 2009.
- "Aldershot snap up full-back Herd". BBC Sport. 25 July 2009. Retrieved 10 September 2009.
- "Herd relieved with Shots switch". BBC Sport. 5 August 2009. Retrieved 10 September 2009.
- "Edwards to coach Shropshire youth". BBC Sport. 7 April 2009. Retrieved 10 September 2009.
- Ben Herd profile at Aldershot Town F.C.
- Ben Herd career stats at Soccerbase
- Ben Herd's weekly column at Betfair
- Ben Herd's weekly column at Bigtips.co.uk