|Born||May 21, 1981 (age 33)
Belfast, Northern Ireland
|Origin||Gilnahirk, Belfast, Northern Ireland|
|Genres||Americana, folk, rock|
|Occupations||Musician, singer-songwriter, producer|
|Years active||2002– Present|
Ben Kyle (born May 21, 1981), is an Irish American singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist. He is best known as the lead singer and songwriter for the Americana band Romantica. Kyle's singing style has been compared to Jeff Tweedy and Ryan Adams.
Ben Kyle was born in Belfast, Northern Ireland but moved with his family to Minneapolis, Minnesota at age 13. Kyle grew up in a family of musicians and showed an interest in music from an early age.
2002-2009: Earlier Career
In 2002, Kyle formed Romantica, an alternative country band with an Irish influence. Based in Minneapolis, Romantica has acquired a following in the United States while releasing three albums (two studio albums, and one live album). Their first, It's Your Weakness That I Want, came out in 2004 bringing an Irish rock approach to the Americana genre of music. Their second album, America, brought the band more widespread recognition as Kyle's lyrics and poetic approach gained enthusiastic praise. Paste magazine ranked the album 58th on its Top 100 Albums of 2007 list. As the songwriter of the America album, Kyle won several awards from the annual International Songwriting Competition. In 2009, Romantica made Control Alt Country Delete which was written and recorded all one day in Austin, Texas.
After the release of Romantica's third album, Kyle went on tour in Europe with Carrie Rodriguez in 2010. They performed in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, and the United Kingdom. Kyle and Rodriguez also recorded the duet album, We Still Love Our Country. The album only has two original songs: Your Lonely Heart by Kyle and Fire Alarm co-written by Kyle and Rodriguez. The other six songs are covers of classic country pieces. Both the tour and the album were well received in Europe.
In 2012, Kyle began his solo career with the release of Ben Kyle which is a compilation of songs of a more personal nature. Commenting on the solo album's name, Kyle stated, “It’s not like the Romantica songs were not personal, but this collection is definitely very autobiographical...” Kyle is currently working on several musical projects as producer and arranger while also developing future Romantica and solo recordings.
- 2011-We Still Love Our Country (Duet album with Carrie Rodriguez)
- 2012-Ben Kyle
- Mead, David. "Romantica: America". Paste. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- "Romantica: 'I Need You Tonight'". National Public Radio.
- Weber, Tom. "Romantica's Ben Kyle goes solo". Minnesota Public Radio. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Bialas, MIchael. "After Sleeping on It, Ben Kyle Gets His Solo Act Together". Huffington Post. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- "Romantica: 'I Need You Tonight'". National Public Radio. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- Christman, Philip. "Romantica - It's Your Weakness That I Want". Paste. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Riemenschneider, Chri. "Top Local Albums of 07". Star Tribune. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- "Signs of Life 2007: Best Music". Paste. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- "2007 Winners". International Songwriters Competition. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Swensson, Andrea. "Romantica's Ben Kyle: The extended interview". City Pages. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Chilton, Martin. "Carrie Rodriguez and Ben Kyle: We Still Love Our Country, CD review". The Telegraph. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Swensson, Andrea. "Ben Kyle breaks from Romantica to release personal, pensive solo album". the Current. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Weber, Tom. "Romantica's Ben Kyle goes solo". Minnesota Public Radio.
- "It's Your Weakness That I Want". Apple. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- "America". Apple. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- "Control Alt Country Delete". Bandcamp. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- "We Still Love Our Country". Ninth Street Opus. Retrieved Jul 9, 2013.
- "Ben Kyle". Apple. Retrieved July 9, 2013.