|Born||May 21, 1981 (age 32)
Belfast, Northern Ireland
|Origin||Gilnahirk, Belfast, Northern Ireland|
|Genres||Americana, folk, rock|
|Occupations||Musician, singer-songwriter, producer|
|Years active||2002– Present|
Ben Kyle (born May 21, 1981), is an Irish American musician, singer-songwriter, and multi-instrumentalist. He is best known as the lead singer and songwriter for the americana band Romantica. Kyle has also been a part of several collaborative musical projects, and released a self-titled solo album in 2012.
Ben Kyle was born in Belfast, Northern Ireland. He grew up in Belfast until the age of 13, when he moved with his family to Minneapolis, Minnesota. Kyle grew up in a family of musicians, and from an early age took an interest in music. Before he pursued a career in music, Kyle wanted to play field hockey full-time.
2002-2009: Earlier Career
In 2002, Ben Kyle formed the band Romantica. An alt country styled band with its roots in Belfast, Romantica has gained a large following in the United States. Singing in the band, Kyle brings out a style similar to Jeff Tweedy (leader of the band Wilco) and Ryan Adams. To date, the Minnesota based group has released three albums (two studio albums, and one live session recording). Their first album, It's Your Weakness That I Want, came out in 2004 bringing an Irish rock approach to the americana genre of music. Romantica's second album, America, brought the band more wide spread recognition. Kyle's lyrics and poetic approach to the songs on the album gained enthusiastic praise for his work. Paste magazine ranked the album 58th on its Top 100 Albums of 2007 list. As the songwriter of the America album, Kyle won several awards from the annual International Songwriting Competition. In 2009 Ben Kyle, along with the rest of the Romantica members recorded their latest album, Control Alt Country Delete. The entire record was written and recorded all in the span of one day in Austin, Texas.
After the release of Romantica's third album, Kyle went on tour in Europe with Carrie Rodriguez in 2010, performing in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, and the United Kingdom. In 2010, Ben Kyle and Carrie Rodriguez also recorded the duet album, We Still Love Our Country. The album only has two original songs, Your Lonely Heart by Kyle, and Fire Alarm co-written by Kyle and Rodriguez. The other six songs are covers of classic country songs. Both the tour and the album were well received in Europe. In 2012, Ben Kyle began his solo career with the release of an album that sought to resonate on a more personal level with listeners. The eponymous title, Ben Kyle, reflects the personal nature of the songs. Commenting on the solo album's name Ben Kyle stated, “It’s not like the Romantica songs weren’t personal, but this collection is definitely very autobiographical...” Ben Kyle is currently working on several musical projects as producer and arranger, while also developing future Romantica and solo recordings.
- 2011-We Still Love Our Country (Duet album with Carrie Rodriguez)
- 2012-Ben Kyle
- Weber, Tom. "Romantica's Ben Kyle goes solo". Minnesota Public Radio. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Bialas, MIchael. "After Sleeping on It, Ben Kyle Gets His Solo Act Together". Huffington Post. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- "Romantica: 'I Need You Tonight'". National Public Radio. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- Mead, David. "Romantica: America". Paste. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- "Romantica: 'I Need You Tonight'". National Public Radio.
- Christman, Philip. "Romantica - It's Your Weakness That I Want". Paste. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Riemenschneider, Chri. "Top Local Albums of 07". Star Tribune. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- "Signs of Life 2007: Best Music". Paste. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- "2007 Winners". International Songwriters Competition. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Swensson, Andrea. "Romantica's Ben Kyle: The extended interview". City Pages. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Chilton, Martin. "Carrie Rodriguez and Ben Kyle: We Still Love Our Country, CD review". The Telegraph. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Swensson, Andrea. "Ben Kyle breaks from Romantica to release personal, pensive solo album". the Current. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Weber, Tom. "Romantica's Ben Kyle goes solo". Minnesota Public Radio.
- "It's Your Weakness That I Want". Apple. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- "America". Apple. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- "Control Alt Country Delete". Bandcamp. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- "We Still Love Our Country". Ninth Street Opus. Retrieved Jul 9, 2013.
- "Ben Kyle". Apple. Retrieved July 9, 2013.