Ben Lewis (actor)
28 September 1979 |
|Alma mater||Newington College
Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts
|Years active||2005 to present|
Lewis was born in London to a theatrical family. His father, Michael Lewis, is an opera singer and his mother, Patricia Price, was also an opera singer and is now Head of Vocal Studies and Opera at the Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts. his brother, Alexander Lewis, is an opera singer and actor who completed three years as a young artist at New York’s Metropolitan Opera. During his childhood, his family went back and forth between England and North Shore, Australia.
In Sydney he attended Newington College and after high school, Lewis undertook an Arts Degree at Sydney University. He performed with the Australian Theatre for Young People and was awarded a Lend Lease scholarship to further his studies overseas. Upon returning to Australia, Lewis applied to study at the Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts (WAAPA) with his brother and both were successful. It was during his time at WAAPA that Lewis met his wife, actress Melle Stewart. The leading Australian performer Tony Sheldon was a visiting Director during Lewis’s time at WAAPA and Lewis credits Sheldon for helping him through his student years.
- The Odyssey - The Malthouse/Black Swan Theatre Company
- Urinetown - Sydney Theatre Company
- Original cast of Priscilla Queen of the Desert - The Musical
- Original Australian production of Monty Python's Spamalot
- A Little Night Music - Opera Australia
- The Phantom in the Original Australian production of Andrew Lloyd Webber's Love Never Dies
- Candide and Forbidden Broadway - Menier Chocolate Factory
- Therese Raquin - Finborough Theatre
- A Midsummer Night's Dream - WildRumpus
- Metro Street - The Production Company
- The Windows Project - Darlinghurst Theatre
- Forbidden Broadway - Vaudeville Theatre
Film and television credits
- The Phantom in Love Never Dies - Universal Pictures
- McLeod's Daughters - Channel Nine Australia
- Doctors - BBC Television
Lewis received the 2012 Judith Johnson Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical for his role as The Phantom at the Sydney Theatre Awards.
- "Behind the Phantom Mask: Meet Ben Lewis". Stage Whispers. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "LinkedIn Profile - Patricia Price". au.linkedin.com/home.
- "Love Never Dies - BARITONE Ben Lewis is on a fast-track to stardom with the sequel to The Phantom of the Opera, writes Simon Plant". Phantomloveneverdies.tumblr.com. 2011-05-06. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "2012 - NOMINATIONS AND WINNERS". Retrieved 2013-02-02.