Ben Lomond High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014)|
|1080 9th St.
|Vice principal||Roger Snow|
|Color(s)||Royal Stewart Plaid (Red, White, Blue)|
|Website||Ben Lomond High School|
Ben Lomond High School is a comprehensive high school located in the Ogden City School District of Ogden, Utah, currently educating students in grades 10–12. As of 2013, the principal is Mr. Dale Wilkinson, an alumnus of the school ('76).
Ben Lomond High School was named for the nearby Ben Lomond Mountain, so called by Scottish settlers reminded of Ben Lomond in Scotland. This local cultural influence gave the school its theme, including bagpipers, Royal Stewart tartan, and Scots. Students are known as "Friendly Fighting Scots."
The school was originally to be called North East Ogden High School with school colors of black and red and the spikes (a reference to the golden spike driven in to the Transcontinental railroad) as the mascot; however, at the very first assembly held on the floor of the wood shop (the school was yet to be finished) the students said that since the school was closest to Ben Lomond it should be named hence. "We weren’t going to Ogden High and we didn't want to be called Ogden High," one student recalled fifty years later. After renaming the school, the "Scot" became the mascot and the school's colors were changed to red, white and blue, the colors of traditional Scottish uniforms (Stewart tartan).
Ben Lomond has a long running rivalry with Ogden High School which culminates each year with a football game known as the "Iron Horse" game. The winner of this game takes possession of a trophy called the Iron Horse. In the most recent game, the 2014 Iron Horse game, held September 26, 2014, Ben Lomond beat Ogden High School 32-7, ending Ogden High's 6 year winning streak.
In June 2006, residents of Ogden passed a bond to obtain money to reconstruct and renovate Ben Lomond High and other Ogden City schools. A partial demolition commenced in June 2007 on Ben Lomond's library media center, English/Freshmen building, ceramics room, courtyard, boiler/furnace room, the ROTC drill field and two JROTC classrooms, and was completed in September 2007. Construction of a new building, was completed in August 2010. This included the construction of new classrooms along with new cafeteria and commons area, the new Media Center, new office area, and a ‘facelift’ to areas not replaced by new construction. The auditorium and gym areas were part of a ‘facelift’ but were not replaced. The entry of the school has been changed to face 9th Street in a southeasterly direction with a new address of 1080 9th Street. The renovation of Ben Lomond High School was awarded the Mountain States Construction Silver Award for grades K-12 in 2010.
- Major General Robertus "Dutch" Remkes (retired), former Director of Strategy, Policy, and Assessments U.S. European Command, Stuttgart-Vaihingen, Germany.
- Michael Richard "Rich" Clifford (Lieutenant Colonel, USA) NASA Astronaut - Class of 1970.
- Glenn Hubbard, former Atlanta Braves second baseman and current Braves first base coach.
- William deVries, cardiothoracic surgeon.
- Nick Howell, defensive coordinator BYU Cougars football
- Trotter, Rachel. "Award given to Ben Lomond High School for design, construction". www.standard.net. Retrieved July 15, 2013.
- "Michael Clifford". redOrbit. Retrieved 09/03/2014. Check date values in:
- Atlanta Braves. Major League Baseball http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/team/coach_staff_bio.jsp?c_id=atl&coachorstaffid=116246. Retrieved 09/03/2014. Check date values in:
|accessdate=(help); Missing or empty